What is the best way to clean the Sharpmaker rods?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Revival

What is the best way to clean the Sharpmaker rods?

Post by Revival »

I have yet to clean the rods of my sharpmaker. From your experience, what have you found the best way to clean it? I have the medium/fine/ultrafine rods.
Bighaze51

Post by Bighaze51 »

I use a green Brillo pad and barkeepers friend. Wet the pad and pour some on there and just scrub them. They come sparkly clean.
rycen

Post by rycen »

The same for me too.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

rust eraser
EarthDog
rg02

Post by rg02 »

SOS pad and bar keepers friend for me
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Barkeeper's Friend and a green Scotchbrite pad
WMR

Post by WMR »

I also use Barkeeper's friend, but I use an old tooth brush.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm not familiar with Barkeeper's freind but use that white powdery washing detergent, with a green scotchbrite pad. Works like a charm.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Toothpaste will work too
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

Rods (ie, the brass safety rods)? Haven't had to clean them yet. I guess probably I'd use bar keep or something. Not sure they will ever get "dirty" enough for me to worry about though.
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
JD Spydo

Bar Keeper's FRiend Rules

Post by JD Spydo »

Bighaze51 wrote:I use a green Brillo pad and barkeepers friend. Wet the pad and pour some on there and just scrub them. They come sparkly clean.
Brother I give you a HIGH FIVE on the "Bar Keeper's Friend" to be sure. However my cleaning process ends with the BKF. I first soak my stones in the new "overnight soaking formula of Dawn Dishwashing Soap" and then I scrub them with Scotch Brite pads with a heavy dose of Comet cleanser. After I get them as clean as I can with those 2 stages I then do the finish work with Bar Keeper's Friend and those Spyderco Sharpmaker stones are as new as if they came from the factory.

I also use that method on all my other Spyderco sharpening equipment with the exception of the diamond rods from the 204 and the diamond Duckfoot. But Bar Keeper's Friend does amazing finish work like no other cleaner I've used. And I've tried all the ceramic top stove cleaners as well as other highly touted cleaners but the method I'm using now is my time proven best.

But I'm always open to a better way. I've heard that there are all kinds of soaking formulas out there that lift the metal out of the stones but I haven't got one myself yet. Great Thread :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Revival

Post by Revival »

Where does every one get Barkeepers friend? I have never heard of that till now.
Auxiliaryjohn

Post by Auxiliaryjohn »

My Lowes carries it, Walmart also does.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Mr Blonde wrote:I'm not familiar with Barkeeper's freind but use that white powdery washing detergent, with a green scotchbrite pad. Works like a charm.
It's similar to what is sold under the Comet and Ajax labels here (which are somewhat abrasive), but Barkeeper's Friend is supposed to be non-abrasive. The idea is that you don't embed any abrasives into the surface of the stone/rod...FWIW...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Revival wrote:Where does every one get Barkeepers friend? I have never heard of that till now.
I buy it at the local grocery store.

IIRC, it's also what Calphalon recommends for cleaning their stainless steel cookware.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

jon1all wrote:Rods (ie, the brass safety rods)? Haven't had to clean them yet. I guess probably I'd use bar keep or something. Not sure they will ever get "dirty" enough for me to worry about though.
(Ahem...) Rods, which rods? Oh, those rods, the ones I don't use??? :) Shhhh, don't tell Sal's lawyers... :D
Mahmer09

Post by Mahmer09 »

Revival wrote:Where does every one get Barkeepers friend? I have never heard of that till now.
I found BKF through the forums for keeping sharpening stones clean and I'll tell you what. An amazing product. I now use it all over the house. I polished the chrome on my beach cruiser. Awesome. In the grocery store right where they sell Ajax and Comet. Great stuff and I do use it on my sharpmaker stones.
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

Green ScotchBrite and some SoftScrub liquid
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
JD Spydo

BKF is the ticket

Post by JD Spydo »

Mahmer09 wrote:I found BKF through the forums for keeping sharpening stones clean and I'll tell you what. An amazing product. I now use it all over the house. I polished the chrome on my beach cruiser. Awesome. In the grocery store right where they sell Ajax and Comet. Great stuff and I do use it on my sharpmaker stones.
Bar Keeper's FRiend is a great product>> you can usually find it here in most parts of the USA in grocery, hardware and variety stores like Rip-mart. It's found most of the time right on the same shelf that they keep the Comet and Ajax on. It's in a Gold Can with a Blue & White sheild label that says Bar Keeper's Friend.

I find it to be an excellent product for all kinds of cleaning chores. It's great on stainless steel and copper. I use it on all my RevereWare cooking equipment that has the copper bottom and stainless body.

It's great for all kinds of ceramic cleaning and super on ceramic and glass top stoves. It works on a chemical action rather than on an abrasive action like most cleansers do. I've been using it on sharpening stones of many varieties since the mid to late 90s.

There are many outlets you can buy it online. The Dollar General chain of stores is the cheapest I've found it at. I usually buy it by the case. We use it a lot at work too. I would love to see something that would work better than BKF.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I've done well with comet and a green brillo/scotchbrite type pad, or sometimes just my hands and comet. Havent' tried BKF but likely will. They stock it at many grocers around here as well.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!