Best allaround-er

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Best allaround-er

Post by elena86 »

I own folders from different brands mostly Spydies of course,but a few CRK Sebenza, Kershaw, SOG etc.So many of them...
And rotating is like a disease.I have a favourite one(Police SS, SE) , a few safe queens( Lil'Temp in 440V and small Persian in black micarta),a few prefered EDC ( Caly3 CF and Delica FFG in ZDP189), P'kal for SD and so on...
One of these days I was contemplating my collection and asking myself:what if I had to choose one.ONLY ONE.The best allarounder. :confused:
Brad Southard wich I purchased a few days ago, only complicated my decision.It was a fierce competition between this one, Para Military 2 and CRK Large Sebenza 21 with micarta inlays.
And I decided:my vote goes to Para Military 2 :spyder:
What about you guys ...
APS

Post by APS »

For my edc urban uses, the Sage 1. Which says something b/c I don't even really love it like other designs.
Adam
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Funny that you brought it up now. After :spyder: bit me, I always carried more than one knife and hated this kind of threads. I always was thinking:"Is there any reason, why should I limit myself to one knife?" One knife to cut anything, preferably with 3.5" blade. One clean knife to cut food. One little gents knife not to scare NKP, if I need to cut around them. And of cause I need Jester on key chain. I still think that I shouldn't limit myself, but now I know that I can. I was thinking about this just couple days ago. I will take my Native5 over any other knife, which I have in my possession. I still carry several knives, but almost never use any others. Yesterday I caught myself thinking, why should I carry more than one :eek: my beloved Native5.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Ahh, the age-old "Desert Island" question...

I was going to initially respond with my micarta-handled 20CP Para2. But there are times when the Para is a bit to big for "polite" use.

That pushed me back to my FRN ZDP-189 Delica. I've used Delicas for decades now - and nothing quite beats the combination of size, ergonomics, cutting ability, and sheer cool factor...

TedP
DelicateEndurance

Post by DelicateEndurance »

Just one? That would be the Spyderco Endura.
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

I really like my Para2 but the new Southard flipper just might take over. Time will tell.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me, it would be the Stretch. The only hard part would be deciding which version.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I'm going to go with my Manix XL. I haven't found a task the D4 couldn't handle, but if it were only one, then I just can't shake the need to be prepared with something larger. Plus it's comfortable with gloves, which you really have to consider for this question IMO. Plus it just gives me warm and fuzzies every time I look at it, just love the design.

Have a Southard in the mail, thanks to all of the praise I keep seeing here, so there's a slight chance that one takes over. I know it'll carry better, but I'm 95% sure it won't be more comfortable in hand.
Holland

Post by Holland »

id prob go with the para2 as well
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

If I had to go with one, I'd probably choose the Manix2 at this point, though I often go with a serrated hawkbill or the SE Scorpius if i only carry one :spyder: - lately, I have been carrying the byrd Wings SlipIt and have not seriously lacked one of the bigger nicer models as the inconspicuous size, attractive design (may redo the scales but the stock G10 is nice looking with the double bolsters and symmetry), strong enough detent that I've had zero trouble with it wanting to close (it's possible, but I don't push it by stabbing things or being overzealous with hard cutting (the SE blade will tear down triple-walled corrugated frames for large coolers and the like with little difficulty) and nice blade geometry for general purpose use (at work, I often carry a smaller knife though that may change).
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Delica,Stretch,Native5, love them all too , good choices, but there is only one problem, for me at least : back-lock.Give me a comp-lock or at least a strong liner lock over a back lock if I am to trust my knife.That's why I had to decide between Para2 and....Para2.
phaust

Post by phaust »

phils301@gmail.com wrote:Just one? That would be the Spyderco Endura.
Same here
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For my uses a Stretch, Delica, Little Matriarch, etc. My Ladybug probably cuts as much stuff as any of those.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

elena86 wrote:Delica,Stretch,Native5, love them all too , good choices, but there is only one problem, for me at least : back-lock.Give me a comp-lock or at least a strong liner lock over a back lock if I am to trust my knife.That's why I had to decide between Para2 and....Para2.
Are there worries about back lock reliability? I haven't heard of too many back lock failures, although maybe I just haven't been listening.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would no doubt pick a Manix 2 or Para 2. They're unmatched IMO.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Okay, I admit, I'm way too fickle to really pick one ;) (um, I mean, it depends on the task/environment/scenario ;) )

That said, what I do know is I'm perfectly happy with pretty much any of my Spyderco's.

In fact, today I dug out my ATS34 Vesuvius. That knife can still hold it's own against anything else I own.

Yesterday was my new Native 5 and as Roman said, this thing rocks!

And much like Blake, 99.9% of what I do (outside of the kitchen) my Balance handles just fine.....

Kind of a different spin but the one I miss most, if it's not on me is the Balance. So I guess it's that....

Ken
玉鋼
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The G10 Native5, at least until the S110V version arrives?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

Caly 3 for me.
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

THE ONE?
Hmmm, Stretch FRN. Maybe Para2. No, Moran FB drop point.

Tough question, I like variety and take more time choosing the knife for the day than dressing.
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

Yo2 or my M390 Black G10 PM2 hands down