Anyone know anything about antique pocket watches?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Splice

Anyone know anything about antique pocket watches?

Post by Splice »

I figure given the brain trust here, someone must know something. My wife got this for me for valentines day! we haven't been able to open the back to check out the serial number unfortunately, so were trying to ascertain as much as we can online. Here she is:

It's a beautiful piece, and it keeps accurate time
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

From what I can see its a Waltham American watch company pocket fob sometimes had a chain on the link company founded in 1850 in Massachusetts .
Went out of business in the mid 90s I'm in the uk so am more familiar with French and Swiss made pieces and don't know anything about the USA market.
Would have probably been built in Sweden (mechanism) and put together in the USA ? According to net info they made plane watches and dials.
Is there no line around the parameter of the watch or a beveled lip ?

Edit: looks like a half hunter the glass case will open and the back separately a full hunter has almost two half compartments .
Some pictures I've just seen show beautiful 17 jewel movements with machined workings and a silver lined case end of century sold in uk for $300 .
Some fascinating history a Waltham made Swiss watch was worn to the moon and it is the only branded speedometer ever used in a ford .
Lincoln was also gifted a Waltham watch ... The power of google huh? :D