Syderco Hobbit Warrior?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChicagoRay

Post by ChicagoRay »

Awesome THFH!
That is great to hear.
I bought most of custom knives from 1995 to 2000.
I am simply amazed how much the values of them went up!
I have a Randall that I paid $200 for and I just saw it on the web going for $1,200!!
****!!
Anyway thanks for the information.
I will take a photo of the sheath tonight and upload it tomorrow, it is really nice.
Kenny does a great job.

P.S. I would love to see the Black-T Damascus one you have.
Can you upload a photo of it?

Thanks again,
Ray
ChicagoRay

Post by ChicagoRay »

Photos of REKAT Hobbit sheath as promised.
Enjoy!

ChicagoRay

Post by ChicagoRay »

Here are some photos of the sheath by Kenny Rowe.

THFH

Post by THFH »

ChicagoRay

I have never seen Kenny Rowe’s sheath work. Looks high class and befitting the class of a Damascus Hobbit. Nice to see someone who takes pride and their gear. Being more a person I have all my carry gear made my Kydex genius Mike Sastre of River City Sheaths His Southern Comfort Bowie is pure poetry in motion concealable and fast a ****. I am sending him five new knives to rig up for me. Women accessorize with purses and shoes I accessorize with knives. Check out Mikes work.
http://www.rivercitysheaths.com/

THFH
headhunter15e

Post by headhunter15e »

I carried my Warrior in Desert Storm(I'M SURE Gen Tilleli would LOVE hearing that) I was a scout.My m203 didn't scare them but when I pulled my Al Mar knock off(the one with the blood groove from Seki Japan 4mm thick)The prisoners thought I intended to kill them with it!
I of course put it away an calmed them.
Sharpend

Post by Sharpend »

sal wrote:The blade is abot 5", serrations on the spine are our normal serrations.

The original design was from Michael Echanis. He sent a hand carved wooden model to Bob Taylor. He passed before he could see the knife made. Bob Taylor was the driving force behind the design. Bob was instrumental in the Al Mar version as well as his own production.

While the Rafaeli version is different from the others and refined for his purpose, the genetics are obvious.

Chuck Karwan knew Echanis and worked with him. He has planned to write the history for us, but he too recently passed away. Good man.

I'll try to piece the history together before production.

I couldn't make a folding version without Bob Taylor's blessing, and we would more than likely do some mods.

sal
Hi Sal,
Interesting, you mentioned that the design came from Echanis, but Mike Janich mentioned that his contribution was limited to the serrations? Sadly Chuck Karwan passed away... he might be the best source ...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sharpend,

Welcome to our forum.

Echanis as the designer, was the accepted info at the time. When we began the Warrior project, We'd spoken with Chuck about doing the Warrior history. Unfortunately he passed away before he was able to begin.

The next source for info had to be Bob Taylor, but he was pissed at me over an earlier misunderstanding. I contacted Bob and he said he wasn't mad anymore and was willing to share info. I spoke with Mike Janich about the project and he also thought it would be an interesting project. Both Bob Taylor and Michael Janich are knowledgable and trained and I couldn't have found a better team.

Mike and I went to Bob's house and spent the day with Bob and his wife Chris. Much history was recorded and many photos taken. Bob had samples of each of the Warrior pieces made. It was a great history lesson. Mike created the book (that comes with the knife) and did a great job. We believe it is an accurate history of the ideas behind the knife and the development of models based on the idea. Randy Wanner is also to be commended, but we've not been able to contact him. Bob's and Randy's royalties on the model go to a Military org for fallen soldiers.

The next Taylor project coming out soon is the "Pygmy Warrior". A fixed blade made to be simple but effective. Bob wanted to make the knife as affordable as possible for soldiers. It has two sets of G-10 scales for varying handle thickness. CTS-BD1 steel, DLC coated. The original "saw-back" serrationn for trapping. Boltaron sheath.

More expensive than we'd like, but 100% USA made.

We're currently working on a "Spyderized" version of Bob Taylor's "Pocket Warrior". (I guess there were some legal issues with "The Hobbit From ****" [THFH] calling his knives "Hobbits") :p

sal
Sharpend

Post by Sharpend »

Hi Sal,

Many thanks for this valuable info on the Warrior collaboration and setting the record straight. When I was growing up... I salivate at the Al Mar Warrior & REKAT Hobbit Warrior.. it was out of my reach. I needed one badly. Owning the Spyderco Warrior now is a dream come true. Looking forward to the Pymy Warrior and the Pocket Hobbit.

Pray that Bob Taylor would give his blessing for you to recreate his original Warrior :-)
Attachments
Warrior 006 (2) (300x167).jpg
Warrior 006 (2) (800x444) (640x355) (100x55).jpg
Warrior 006 (2) (800x444) (640x355) (100x55).jpg (40.96 KiB) Viewed 3122 times
Sharpend

Post by Sharpend »

Hi Sal,

Many thanks for this valuable info on the Warrior collaboration and setting the record straight. When I was growing up... I salivate at the Al Mar Warrior & REKAT Hobbit Warrior.. it was out of my reach. I needed one badly. Owning the Spyderco Warrior now is a dream come true. Looking forward to the Pymy Warrior and the Pocket Hobbit.

Pray that Bob Taylor would give his blessing for you to recreate his original Warrior :-)
[ATTACH]21441[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Warrior 006 (2) (300x167).jpg
linos

Post by linos »

That`s all i got :)
i always regret i did not bought one of each variation of the Al Mar and Rekat when i had the chance....live and learn..
Sharpend

Post by Sharpend »

:cool: Wow great collection :)
TomH

Post by TomH »

Any chance you could tell us the steel of the "Pocket Warrior"?
sal wrote:Hi Sharpend,

Welcome to our forum.

Echanis as the designer, was the accepted info at the time. When we began the Warrior project, We'd spoken with Chuck about doing the Warrior history. Unfortunately he passed away before he was able to begin.

The next source for info had to be Bob Taylor, but he was pissed at me over an earlier misunderstanding. I contacted Bob and he said he wasn't mad anymore and was willing to share info. I spoke with Mike Janich about the project and he also thought it would be an interesting project. Both Bob Taylor and Michael Janich are knowledgable and trained and I couldn't have found a better team.

Mike and I went to Bob's house and spent the day with Bob and his wife Chris. Much history was recorded and many photos taken. Bob had samples of each of the Warrior pieces made. It was a great history lesson. Mike created the book (that comes with the knife) and did a great job. We believe it is an accurate history of the ideas behind the knife and the development of models based on the idea. Randy Wanner is also to be commended, but we've not been able to contact him. Bob's and Randy's royalties on the model go to a Military org for fallen soldiers.

The next Taylor project coming out soon is the "Pygmy Warrior". A fixed blade made to be simple but effective. Bob wanted to make the knife as affordable as possible for soldiers. It has two sets of G-10 scales for varying handle thickness. CTS-BD1 steel, DLC coated. The original "saw-back" serrationn for trapping. Boltaron sheath.

More expensive than we'd like, but 100% USA made.

We're currently working on a "Spyderized" version of Bob Taylor's "Pocket Warrior". (I guess there were some legal issues with "The Hobbit From ****" [THFH] calling his knives "Hobbits") :p

sal
sal

Post by sal »

TomH wrote:Any chance you could tell us the steel of the "Pocket Warrior"?
Have not thought about it to date.

sal
TomH

Post by TomH »

Thanks for the response, Sal. I'm sure many factors that most of us don't even realize go into picking the best steels for your knives, but I hope you will consider using H1 for this knife.
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Sal,

Any word on an ETA for the Pygmy? Anxiously waiting to see the Spyderco version since I've played with the original REKAT prototypes. Should be a great little knife!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Reading through this thread was sad as well as enjoyable. I like the story behind the blade. For me it enhances the character of a blade. Thanks for this thread.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Sharpend

Post by Sharpend »

Hi Sal,

The current Warrior is amazing in the hands... lightning fast, both forward and reverse grip and amazingly light Any plans for a Spyderized version of Bob Taylor's original full sized Warrior? Tks.
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

linos

Thanx for the picture.

If I had digital capabilities I would have a picture similar to yours. I have a Green Hobbit Warrior with a matching metal trainer, A Black Warrior, A black Spyderco Warrior and a Folding Hobbit. The folder is one that I bought new years ago and then sold to a friend. Just recently he traded it back to me. Mine is the original model with the lock release lever located at the very front of the knife.

Sure wish we had an ETA on the Pygmy Hobbit.
BAL

Post by BAL »

KardinalSyn wrote:Reading through this thread was sad as well as enjoyable. I like the story behind the blade. For me it enhances the character of a blade. Thanks for this thread.
+1 - I was about to make some comments, but KardinalSyn summed
up what I was going to say.
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

ETA has been changed several times, but the last one I got was March/April. We'll see if this holds true. Certainly hope so.