Native Lightweight First Impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kbrouwer

Native Lightweight First Impressions

Post by kbrouwer »

Just got the package like an hour and a half ago so these are legit first impressions on the Native lightweight.

:spyder: I thought it'd be a little bigger but that's kind of ok because as I said, I'm probably going to use it for Boy Scouts. My troop is funny about large knives.

:spyder: Has the usual crazy sharp Spyderco edge.

:spyder: I'd go as far as to say it's an ok knife for people who need to follow blade length laws.

:spyder: Feels just okay in the hand. that large finger groove doesn't quite fit my hand correctly.

:spyder: Feels best when using the choil.

:spyder: Looks pretty cool. Unique blade grinds.

:spyder: If I'm correct, the pocket clip is FRN. I would have rathered stainless steel.

:spyder: Texturing on handle doesn't work as well as I thought.

:spyder: Sits in the pocket nicely, I forget it was there at one point.

:spyder: First rating: 8/10 B+

Can someone elaborate on the whole WalMart thing behind this blade?
:spyder: :spyder: Kirk Brouwer :spyder: :spyder:
Holland

Post by Holland »

nice little mini review! after some use the handle will start to feel like it fits more and it will become more comfortable
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kbrouwer wrote: :spyder: If I'm correct, the pocket clip is FRN. I would have rathered stainless steel.
Can someone elaborate on the whole WalMart thing behind this blade?
Pocket clip made from a steel. I do not think that Native ever had plastic clip.
I am not sure what do you mean about WalMart thing behind the blade. Some Walmarts used to sell C41 Native PE for a few years starting in 2005. They were the same Natives, which were sold by other dealers, nothing special or exclusive. Just used mine today.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
APS

Post by APS »

kbrouwer wrote: :spyder: Feels just okay in the hand. that large finger groove doesn't quite fit my hand correctly.
That was a sore point for me as well. I dremelled it down to look like the Native IV/V and it is comfy now.
Adam
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

The native never came with a FRN pocket clip that I know of. The clip on yours is most likely coated steel with a barrel bolt through the lanyard hole. Wal-Mart carried the plain edged S30V Native for a while back in the early to mid 2000s. It was the same S30V Native you could buy online, except cheaper. I got mine for $30, and 30 bucks for an S30V Spyderco was the best bang for the buck knife on the market at that time...