Fire-Fighting Idea: Would like some feedback

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Fire-Fighting Idea: Would like some feedback

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Fire is man's oldest tool-material, aside from the knife, and we need fire but obviously it can be devastating when uncontrolled and out of control. I was thinking about an idea on how to instantly or at least very quickly smother a fire from its oxygen supply and I was inspired by science fiction. I welcome the responses of anyone including any seasoned fire men on the forum.

On "Star Trek The Next Generation" they had these "Fire Suppression Fields" that were essentially force field emitters that would use computer sensors to detect an out of control flame, and would project an electrostatic force field to cover and cut off its O supply, making the fire stop.

Now, as of this writing, as far as I know, there are no known ways to generate a force field of that manner, but is the idea a good one? Example: I can envision a series of mechanical nano or micro robots made of a heat-resistant material, such as corundum or silicate, that would use the same basic principle = sensors detect out of control flames and immediately cover and surround the flames, thus cutting off the oxygen supply, thus ending said fire.

What are some simpler possibilities using known and existing technologies, or is this too far beyond us?

Also: You would not want the sensors to attack any flame, less you try to cook something on the stove top and your flame is extinguished.

The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

*SLAP* *SLAP!!*

Snap out of it!
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
BAL

Post by BAL »

I remember my first beer.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Seems about as feasible as a time machine that would allow a firefighter to go back, say an hour before the fire started, and prevent it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderEdgeForever

How is it not feasible or in the same class of problems? There is a guy named Josh Hall who came up with this concept of utility fog. I could see an extension of this for firefighting applications.

http://www.pivot.net/~jpierce/utility_fog.htm

tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

I appreciate the enthusiasm but i would be clueless on making this work. IIRC (the academy was over 13 years ago for me) they have Halon systems where regular water or ansul (the stuff that is in normal abc extinguishers) would ruin the equipment. Examples would be high end computer equipment rooms or in the engine bays of racecars. The BIG problem with these is that while it displaces the O2 to extinquish the fire there isn't any O2 for people to breathe and they would croak unless they had SCBA equipment available and if they could put it on in time (kind of like when you are in an airplane and they tell you to put your mask on before your child's). Now factor in general stupidity of many people and lawyers well being lawyers i don't see it happening in my lifetime. Definitely not in Chicago because we have to be the most old school fire dept in the country. We just got full bunkers about 5-6 years ago, while the the most of the country and all of the other big cities had them for years before us.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Personally, I think the Fire Suppression Field (FSF) technology is being withheld from the market by the "Fire Industrial Complex". They have a strong motive to keep their fire extinguisher, sprinkler, and firefighting equipment companies profitable. Something like FSF technology could destroy their companies overnight. It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Now, where's my tin-foil hat again?

TedP
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

A lot of commercial boats have remote operated fire fighting systems in their engine rooms. In the event of an engine fire, the crew or captain would pull a cable (a manual engagement since an engine room fire usually cripples the vessel's electrical system) and it releases a chemical that "sucks out" or "absorbs" the oxygen in the engine room. They tell you never to go into the engine room to fight the fire....and to never be down there when the system is in operation as it removes all of the oxygen. FWIW most engine rooms have watertight doors, hatches and bulkheads.

we were told never to use them unless the fire was out of control and to attempt to fight it with the extinguishers located OUTSIDE of the engine room or in a pinch, with the fire hoses or deck hose.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you so much for the responses everyone, and Tony I want to express thank you to you and appreciation to you and other fire fighters on here for your service and risk to help people. Thank you.

Clip

Post by Clip »

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 ... lectricity

I've heard them talk about putting these devices on doors and pathways to keep exits clear.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris