D2 steel coatings?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
HellHound

D2 steel coatings?

Post by HellHound »

Hey guys, long time no see. So just wanted to ask, what kind of coatings or just rust resistant finishes I could do at home on d2. I know gun blue acid gives a black finish on the blade but that can also develop rust spots in humid environments, so are there any other tricks beside oiling it to keep it from rusting?
thewannabesurvivalist
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Some go with a forced patina using vinegar or citrus fruit, potatoes, etc. Others just keep a coat of mineral oil on their less chromium blessed steels. Some use synthetic rust preventatives like Tuf-Glide.

I believe with D2 you could simply keep it dry and clean. Mineral oil should be quite sufficient but the other methods are pretty much surefire protection.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

D2 is darned near stainless. I coated my D2 Para1 once with Tufglide a couple of years ago and haven't seen any corrosion or rust since. I keep it dry after use and carry clipped into my pocket - no different than my regular Paras. Nice steel...

My advice is that if you aren't working in a harsh environment, don't worry too much about it. Take care to keep it clean and dry before you put it away and you'll be OK.

TedP
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

Ok thanks for answering guys, guess I'll keep it lubed in the mean time. Though I think theres a bottle of gun blue laying about somewhere if I do decide to go "ninja" :D anyway if I use gun blue in multiple layers would that patina or black finish prevent rusting or would it need to be lubed regardless?
thewannabesurvivalist