Is there an excellent Spyderco knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BAL

Post by BAL »

FroOchie wrote:Edit: As a car guy that sells Porsche's, Ferrari's, Corvette's and Skylines I'd have to say that anyone calling the Corvette and Skyline the bastards of the bunch probably needs to drive one. Yes, they're all different, all have different price points but they're all performers.
Hey FroOchie, I had made a comment that I'd take my Chevy truck over any Vette, Porsche etc, My point
being that I NEED my truck for chores around the farm and no other vehicle would fit the bill. Nothing against
those particular cars.

In the same way, I'd take a Spyderco Military over any other knife for similar type reasons. I don't need
something fancy for tough work, whether it’s a vehicle or knife. Howver, I do consider my truck a sweet ride
and the Millie a nice looking knife.

Different stroke for different folks and different tools for different chores.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

BAL, I was referring to the OP's point, I never saw your post.
lamorak wrote: It seems that spydies are some of my most used and greatest knives, but if I want to show a friend an excellent knife they do not make the cut. I'll probably show a few for the novelty or the practical factor; and when I give buying advice, it's probably the second brand I'm recommending; but there is something missing. If I would use a car analogy, Spyderco would be akin Nissan GT-R, or a Chevrolet Corvette, when I'm looking at a Porsche 911, or a Ferrari 458
I'd agree with you BAL, people need trucks... no one needs a sports car. My point remains though, calling a Spyderco a GTR meaning they're not up to par is a silly.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
Melektau

Post by Melektau »

Who can you buy high end steel from at spydercos price
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

As an aside, nice to see a not so easy question asked on a manufacturer's forum, this type of question is not likely to be tolerated in many such forums.

I have owned and carried some very high end folders, Sebenza, Strider, Hinderer, etc. and would consider many of the Spyderco models to be excellent, the Paramilitary is still one of my favorites and one of the ones I constantly show people as an example of an excellent knife. Though I would agree with many that to truly understand why it is excellent they need to carry it for awhile, which is no issue as I often lend them out.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

If I had to choose between a Sebenza, Strider,bla bla bla or any custom knife and my beloved Spyderco Lil'Temp in 440V guess what ??? ....Lil'Temp in 440V embodies everything you can imagine : beauty,reliability,ergonomy.... you name it ! Not excellent but super excellent knife.Too bad it's discontinued.Maybe the spydie crew will be
" sage " and bring it back.Imagine a Lil'Temp with a wire clip and a blade in CTS-XHP steel.A beautifull DREAM !
-F1

Post by -F1 »

I don't know what the OP is talking about. I have about 20 Spyderco knives, and while some are lackluster in one way or another IMO, many of them are indeed excellent.

It's all in what you value. I don't own--and never will own a Sebenza, because I don't believe in spending a ridiculous sum for a poorly designed knife (yes, I said it) that happens to have impressively precise manufacturing tolerances. I don't care about impressive manufacturing tolerances. I care about a knife that feels good in my hand, is easy to use, and can do what I need it to do without breaking. It also helps if it has a lock that won't break if I give it a dirty look or curse at it.

In other words, I buy knives to use, not to brag about or to stare at in a glass display case. I'm not the one inside, staring at a knife under bright light with a magnifying lens, saying "Oh my gosh, they line up perfectly!" I'm the one outside as it's getting dark and staring to rain, reaching for my Para Military2 so I can cut a cable tie or rope, thinking "Thank you, Sal."