Boye Dent? Yes? No?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Boye Dent? Yes? No?

Yes, I prefer the boye dent on my backlocks
75%
No, I do not prefer the boye dent on my backlocks
25%

Total votes: 106

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like the Boye Dent for my method of closing the mid-locks. I find it easier to locate the lock by touch. That being said I wish I could have my cake and eat it too because the Calypsos lock looks better and I couldn't imagine a Kiwi with the dent.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

It doesn't effect me either way.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
computernut

Post by computernut »

I voted Yes but it depends, I don't mind not having it on the Chaparral but I think it depends on how far you have to push it in and how much force. I think the Boyle dent can make it a little more comfortable to use the lock but not if it forces you to really mash the bar in enough to disengage. My Sage4 lock is so stiff I don't think it's a good example of a non-dent.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

A third voting button for "meh - I don't care either way" would apply to me.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Thank you for your inputs thus far! Please keep them coming!

I agree with all of the above reason FOR a boye dent. As some have mentioned I think a boye dent on the chaparral would make the knife go from a 9 to a 10 for me.
Come Join Us Click Here
uncleduncle

Post by uncleduncle »

I prefer the dent for functionality and I think I do enjoy the way it looks also.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Yep I like them, nicer on the fingers and really easy to find the lock without looking.
I see, said the blind man.
paladin

Post by paladin »

So far, most of the disapproval for the Boye dent seems to stem from "aesthethic" reasons. Even a few of these distractors sometimes begrudgingly admit a marginal utility in the dent. At worst the most negative complaint seems to be "it doesn't help any." And it appears most of the responders find them to be actually helpful. As everyone knows beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I initially found spyderco knives "ugly" when I first considered a delica purchase many years back. But after using and using that delica I "found" beauty in its utility. Ever since I have equated Spderco's non-traditional lines with quality, ergonomics, and utility. In that sense my tastes have evolved into finding most Spyderco products and innovations ( Boye dent included ) "beautiful." I don't propose Boye denting all models, but I hope Sal continues to employ the dent in the models it is currently offered and consider expanding it into a few new models. Good poll, cosmo!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Don't feel strongly either way, but I think that it can be useful to find the lockbar without looking. I'm glad it's there on my D4 and R, but glad it's not on the chaparral (would look funny with the trapezoidal lock cut out).
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yes. They feel better when you press them. I'm thinking of giving my Chapparal one. It's thin and doesn't feel good at all to depress.

- best wishes, Jazz.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well anyone who's been here more than a week probably knows already but, for the record, I detest the Boye dent. Primarily because the four "points" it creates on a lockbar make any knife that has it less comfortable for me to use. Granted, it's worse on some knives than others, but its always true to some degree. Beyond that, there are several other reasons. On some models, most notably the C83 Persian, it is so poorly executed as to make the knife very difficult to close. From an esthetic standpoint, it adds an unattractive break to the smooth flow of the backstrap. Not surprising really, the word dent rarely describes anything that adds to the looks of the dented item. Then there's the total illogic of it. If it's meant as a safety device for tactical/SD/hard use, as is often claimed, then why put it on the Ladybug and Kopa and omit it from the midlock versions of the Manix and the Chinooks? And, perhaps it's just me, but despite having somewhat reduced sensitivity in my fingers I've never had a problem instantly and accurately locating the lock of an "undented" Spyderco midlock by feeling the lock well in the handle. Perhaps that might happen on a model with ultra thin handle slabs, but the thinnest I have are several all stainless midlock Kiwis, and I've yet to experience it with them. Lastly, it's the type feature that, if someone wants it badly enough is reasonably easy to add but if someone dislikes it is impossible to remove.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
eloreno

Post by eloreno »

I'm with the Deacon.
BAL

Post by BAL »

For what its worth, It doesn't make much difference to me one way or the other.
Honestly, I try to stay away from backlocks in the first place.
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

1623 wrote:I have no issue with its function but I find it displeasing aesthetically.
+1
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
GrossPolluter

Post by GrossPolluter »

1623 wrote:I have no issue with its function but I find it displeasing aesthetically.
This says it for me. Very useful but really uglys up the appearance IMO. :spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

Jazz wrote:Yes. They feel better when you press them. I'm thinking of giving my Chapparal one. It's thin and doesn't feel good at all to depress.

- best wishes, Jazz.
I would say make sure you figure out how much movement the lock bar needs to actually release the lock... and make sure you don't remove too much metal for you to release the lock!

I do agree the flat, 2mm wide bar is not a pleasure to unlock.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Donut wrote:I would say make sure you figure out how much movement the lock bar needs to actually release the lock... and make sure you don't remove too much metal for you to release the lock!

I do agree the flat, 2mm wide bar is not a pleasure to unlock.
I thought of that, but thank you for the mention - that would be a costly mistake, eh?

- best wishes, Jazz.
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

I carry a Boye knife, so my vote is obviously biased!!!
bigcat

Post by bigcat »

I like the DAVID BOYE DENT.

bigcat
"The Power that made the body, Heals the body."
Donut

Post by Donut »

It would be pretty costly.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!