Whats with the Spyderhawk Salt being Disco'd??!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

Hehe at least I wasn't there so no regrets :D

Kinda :o
JD Spydo

Spyderhawk with G-10 handle and Supersteel Blade

Post by JD Spydo »

It's so interesting that this thread keeps popping up because I was playing with and doing some minor sharpening on my H-1 Spyderhawk this evening. It doesn't take much to just tune it up a bit to get it super sharp. But I've never had mine get too dull to begin with.

I've been thinking just how awesome this knife would be with a G-10 handle and a blade made with S3V, or XHP, or S90V or any of the newer supersteels they've been working with. People think of this large Hawkbill as being a self defense gem and it can be all of that but to me it's just a great all around supertool. I'm in the process of getting myself a new Harpy but in the meantime I've been carrying the Spyderhawk and it's been a great utility blade and a great companion blade as well.

The H-1 Spyderhawk along with my C-60 Ayoob with the G-10 handle have been a super team. Yes I would like a deluxe, high grade version of the Spyderhawk. Yes I'm still depressed that they discontinued it but you can still find them if you just look hard. FRN handles are not bad at all and they are not given the respect they deserve but I do like the newer G-10 handles a bit better>> and that would make the Spyderhawk a completely different knife for sure.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

If anyone knows of any Spyderhawk SE in stock somewhere please drop me a PM.

Thanks,
JD
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

We're all after that one Judas so good luck with that :o
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Country Knives would be your best bet. The charge full MSRP, but they're 100% reliable. Otherwise, keep an eye on eBay, they show up there fairly regularly.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

JD Spydo wrote: I've been thinking just how awesome this knife would be with a G-10 handle and a blade made with S3V, or XHP, or S90V or any of the newer supersteels they've been working with. People think of this large Hawkbill as being a self defense gem and it can be all of that but to me it's just a great all around supertool. I'm in the process of getting myself a new Harpy but in the meantime I've been carrying the Spyderhawk and it's been a great utility blade and a great companion blade as well.
Eh. H1 is already the bee's knees when it comes to serrations, and I wouldn't want anything else. Now, if you're talking about a PE hawkbill in one of the super steels...
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I picked up a pe Spyderhawk when I first got into Spyderco's but kick myself for not getting the se one. My se Tasman is great knife but a lot of times the larger SH would be more ideal for the job at hand.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I found a lightly used SE Spyderhawk. Carrying it now. Ear-to-ear grin. Thanks guys.

JD
Chevy

Post by Chevy »

An H-1 Civillian give me chills. Good ones.....
:spyder: in possession: Endura4 CE, Endura4 Trainer, Delica4 PE, Delica4 Trainer, Matriarch2, Manix2 PE Black Blade, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt SE, Tasman Salt PE, Pacific Salt PE Black Blade, UKPK Drop Point PE Maroon, Squeak, Bob T, Grasshopper, Kiwi Stag, Native Lightweight CE, Ambitious, Poliwog, Manbug LW, Native5, ATR Ti SE, Spydercard, Calypso Jr. SE, Caly 3.5 G10, Meerkat, Street Bowie, Swick2.

en route:

:spyder:wants: Pingo, Yojimbo2, Street Beat, Jester, Ronin, Starmate.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Chevy wrote:An H-1 Civillian give me chills. Good ones.....
I've been clamoring for one of these for about a year or so. I hope it comes to pass. It would be a perfect SD carry for my outdoor activities.
BAL

Post by BAL »

angusW wrote:I picked up a pe Spyderhawk when I first got into Spyderco's but kick myself for not getting the se one. My se Tasman is great knife but a lot of times the larger SH would be more ideal for the job at hand.
I did the opposite and picked up the SE and kick myself for not getting the PE.
It's too bad that the Spyderhawk wasn't more popular. I think that people would
love it if they had a chance to use it. Even if you like the omore traditional blades,
many of us carry more than one, and the Spyderhawk is a great one to have in
the mix.
JD Spydo

It will be back

Post by JD Spydo »

It's funny how much of a surge of popularity that a discontinued model gets about 3 to 4 months after they have been deleted from the main line uip. And the Spyderhawk was the type of knife that was high on anyone's WANT LIST but rather one that they thought they would get later after they got the one or 2 conventional folders first.

The Spyderhawk as good as it is was truly a super companion blade and not necessarily a primary user>> but it did have a lot of specialty uses to it.

But I do look for demand to swell on it and I wouldn't be surprised to see it return someday. Because Spyderco's Hawkbills are so unique that you really can't get a Hawkbill like the Spyderhawk with any quality to speak of from any other knife company. And for that reason it's not going away for good >> that I"m certain of ;)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

BAL wrote:I did the opposite and picked up the SE and kick myself for not getting the PE.
I couldn't decide so I got all four. Spyderhawk and Tasman in PE & SE.

Ken
玉鋼
Chevy

Post by Chevy »

mikerestivo wrote:I've been clamoring for one of these for about a year or so. I hope it comes to pass. It would be a perfect SD carry for my outdoor activities.
Yeah that would be an awesome knife, especially if they made the pocket clip southpaw friendliy. Just saw Chuck's post about a DLC coated hawk or Civillian, with black G10 or FRN would be legen-wait for it-DARY!!!!
:spyder: in possession: Endura4 CE, Endura4 Trainer, Delica4 PE, Delica4 Trainer, Matriarch2, Manix2 PE Black Blade, Atlantic Salt, Tasman Salt SE, Tasman Salt PE, Pacific Salt PE Black Blade, UKPK Drop Point PE Maroon, Squeak, Bob T, Grasshopper, Kiwi Stag, Native Lightweight CE, Ambitious, Poliwog, Manbug LW, Native5, ATR Ti SE, Spydercard, Calypso Jr. SE, Caly 3.5 G10, Meerkat, Street Bowie, Swick2.

en route:

Chevy

Post by Chevy »

kbuzbee wrote:I couldn't decide so I got all four. Spyderhawk and Tasman in PE & SE.

Ken
I too have a PE and SE Tasman but always wanted a hawkbill that was a little larger, maybe with liners. Granted I am bidding on a Merlin right now but a larger H1 hawkbill would be sweet.

en route:

BAL

Post by BAL »

I think that we all would pick up more knives if it wasn't for that "money thing".
About the time you have a couple in mind, you get home and there is another bill
laying on the counter, and you think, well maybe a little later.

Later becomes way later and then there are new models coming out that strike
your fancy a little bit more. It's hard to keep up. Of course, if it wasn't, then we
would own them all and would lose interest and wouldn't be on here doing whatever
it is that we do.
Chevy

Post by Chevy »

BAL wrote:I think that we all would pick up more knives if it wasn't for that "money thing".
About the time you have a couple in mind, you get home and there is another bill
laying on the counter, and you think, well maybe a little later.

Later becomes way later and then there are new models coming out that strike
your fancy a little bit more. It's hard to keep up. Of course, if it wasn't, then we
would own them all and would lose interest and wouldn't be on here doing whatever
it is that we do.
Very true words there, BAL.

en route:

Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I`m glad I bought one,when they were available. :D .
JD Spydo wrote:It's funny how much of a surge of popularity that a discontinued model gets about 3 to 4 months after they have been deleted from the main line uip. And the Spyderhawk was the type of knife that was high on anyone's WANT LIST but rather one that they thought they would get later after they got the one or 2 conventional folders first.

The Spyderhawk as good as it is was truly a super companion blade and not necessarily a primary user>> but it did have a lot of specialty uses to it.

But I do look for demand to swell on it and I wouldn't be surprised to see it return someday. Because Spyderco's Hawkbills are so unique that you really can't get a Hawkbill like the Spyderhawk with any quality to speak of from any other knife company. And for that reason it's not going away for good >> that I"m certain of ;)
Jes Schuetz

Bring back the Spyderhawk or even better

Post by Jes Schuetz »

Please bring back the Salty Spyderhawk
or even better create an H1 Matriarch / Civillian.
Yes I want it as SD EDC and don't care for having to oil and polish rust away on a regular basis.
(EDC includes outdoor activities where it can rain and I sweat)
If edge retention is really a bit less for H1 it should not matter since I don't plan to encounter too many SD situations. :o
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've long thought the toughness of H-1 would be a valuable asset in a Civilian/Matriarch. As for the Spyderhawk Salt, my math on it was this: 2 SE + 2 PE = 0 regrets. I had mine pre-ordered the day they were announced.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.