New Guy W/ Mule Team Project (not started)

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
DeAdEyE956

New Guy W/ Mule Team Project (not started)

Post by DeAdEyE956 »

Ok I made the mistake of finding a thread else where about the Mule Team. Awesome idea. I have wanted to start making knife handles, and this is a perfect thing. I got a few Mule 16 to do. I plan to make one for my molle vest at work, and the rest will be gifts to family. I have done some research, I know the hole sizes are 3/8, 1/4, 3/16. i plan to use corby bolts for my dad's knife and desert iron wood burl if it isnt to $$$. What size block/scale do I need? I think i know the length should be 4" but thickness and height/width? Any leads for leather sheaths? I may try to make my own, but I want something nice for my dad. once i get started I will take pics and such if I can. my job and family life get in the way of things like this. thanks for any help.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

JLS has some lovely leather sheaths made by an old timer he knows. I got one for my Temp 2 and love it. For my Mules I use Buck 191 sheaths which are a perfect fit. I bought a bunch when they were discontinued but you may find one on ebay or elsewhere. Those are the two I have personal experience with. Obviously there are many custom options.

Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
DeAdEyE956

Post by DeAdEyE956 »

Ok thank you. Any contact info for JLS? I googled his name and I didnt have any luck.

saw a post by marion poff with his screen name. I sent an email. thanks
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

DeAdEyE956 wrote:Ok thank you. Any contact info for JLS? I googled his name and I didnt have any luck.

saw a post by marion poff with his screen name. I sent an email. thanks
JLS is an active member here. You can look him up under the Community button above. Marion disappeared under a bit of a cloud.

add> Here's a link to JLS
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/member.php?11259-JLS
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
DeAdEyE956

Post by DeAdEyE956 »

I like that pouch sheath. I meant a post by marion that he mentioned JLS. Do you make the scales? i like the green canvas. I hope to find black and green canvas material.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I've made scales, but nothing I'm proud enough of to show pictures of. As it happens I have a great liking for green micarta and dark green G-10.
ricechrispy

Post by ricechrispy »

I like green micarta, too!

In chronological order:
Paramilitary 2, BD30P Manix 2, Delica 4, M390 Mule, XHP Military, Dragonfly 2, Woodcraft Mule, ZDP-189 Manbug, Cruwear Mule, Superleaf, Forum Native 5, Manix 2 XL, Endura 4
JLS

Post by JLS »

I did have sheaths made for me in the past, but there hasn't been much interest in the past 2 years or so. Therefore, I haven't had any to sell. I sincerely hope this isn't breaking the rules about BST here; it's more of a public announcement that I DON'T have anything to sell.

Anyway, green micarta does make a nice handle. Shown below are two of mine clad in shades of green, with the S35VN Mule in 400 grit finished medium green canvas and the CTS-B75P done in bead blasted OD green canvas. It looks rather brown in the pictures, but it's more green in person. They're actually quite photogenic, but I suck at photography and it's even worse when using an old iPhone camera.

Enjoy the Mule project; it really is a great EDC fixed blade and using the different steels is quite fun.

Here they are anyway.

42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Nice Mules.

How time flies. If you have an interest in a Buck sheath I just checked and there are a number on ebay. I saw one for $14 shipped. Just search Buck 191.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Welcome! I would say for corby's that 1/4" scale thickness is about as thin as you should go. Most scales are about 5" x 1.5"x thickness. Corby bolts are a bit tricky to use, so make sure you know what you're doing. NorthCoastKnives has some some pre-made leather sheaths. Good luck.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
JLS

Post by JLS »

I almost forgot about your other question regarding scale size. I find 4.5"X1.5"X1/4" to be minimum. I make most of mine out of 1/4" thickness. I've done one out of 1/8" which is a bit thin, one at 3/16" which is OK, another at .210" and its OK as well. I started one at 3/8" and have shaved it down to about .300" since. Everything else is at 1/4" and I like them the best.

I've yet to do Corby bolts, but they're easy enough to do with either 3/16" threaded studs or with pins and epoxy.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...