A few prototype videos from SHOT

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

A few prototype videos from SHOT

Post by Mr Blonde »

I visited the SHOT show this year, and on day 1 I got the flu. I did manage to visit the show and meet up with the spydercrew. They helped me shoot a few videos of some upcoming knives that I can share with you guys. I just hope I didn’t infect anybody.

Compared to the annual IWA show in Germany, which I have visited regularly over the past few years, SHOT is so much bigger. It is truly a ‘gathering of the tribes’. I noticed visitors all over Las Vegas with their desert camo packs (with morale patches) and pocket clips. I just wish I felt better so I could have seen more of the show and the town. Thanks again to Eric and everyone else manning the booth for their hospitality, support and vitamins!

The two prototype cases at the Spyderco booth were stacked full with concept models and prototypes. I seemed to notice more ‘red tags’ (concept models) than ‘grey tags’ (production prototypes). There were many cool new knives and ideas for new knives. Among them were colorful handle variations for the Native and some cool ideas for the Paramilitary 2. I’m sure I’ll get a better and closer look (and photos) at everything at the Amsterdam Meet. I also had a great time meeting Gayle Bradley and Phil Wilson, and it was very nice to see Ed Schempp again.

Here’s the first video I shot of Eric Glesser presenting the upcoming Wayne Goddard sprint run.

[video=youtube_share;cBtW810MM7s]http://youtu.be/cBtW810MM7s[/video]

I noticed that Eric calls the handle color grey, to me it looked more like green. It seemed a little darker than the foliage green we know from the Delica and Endura editions. The ‘new’ hourglass pocket clip makes the knife a little easier on the hand when gripping the knife, compared to the previous Goddard FRN Sprints. The FFG blade didn’t seem too thin at all, which I kind of suspected after seeing it in the catalog. I’ll definitely try to add this model to my collection of Goddard sprints.

I will add more videos to this thread as soons as they're done rendering etc... My computer isn't the best machine for this task so it will take some time.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thx Wouter!! Super you went to Shot!! Unfortunate to hear you were ill, I wish you a quick recovery. Can't wait to see the rest of your vids and to see you in Amsterdam together with all the Spydie goodies :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Nice Wouter!

Sorry you fell I'll, brother. Flying while your sick is a horrible experience.

Ken
玉鋼
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks, Wouter. Hope you feel better soon.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Thanks, Wouter. Woke up in the middle of the night and found a nice surprise here.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Ted

Post by Ted »

Nice work Wouter - too bad you got sick. See you in A'Dam in a few weeks!
buferoe

Post by buferoe »

Great video Wouter, thanxxs, get well soon.
See yah in Amsterdam.

greetz,

Werner
The only good knive is my sharp Spyderco........
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks guys, I'm feeling much better now - I'm sure I'll be 100% when I have to go back to work next week. That's how it always seems to go.
Mr Blonde

Spyderco 2013 Prototype - Jot Singh Khalsa Sprint Run

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Jot Singh Khalsa returns for a sprint run. I definitely noticed the difference in production quality of this sample, compared to my micarta original. The grinds look cleaner and the fit & finish is way better. As a lefty, I really appreciate the added clip mounting option. I realize this design looks unusual, but it's a very functional EDC and with these upgrades it should be an even better user.

[video=youtube_share;eYgMdbgscGc]http://youtu.be/eYgMdbgscGc[/video]
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Great vid Wouter.I wish you fast recovery.Did you spotted any Caly jr.proto ? Man I am waiting the Caly jr,for a looong time....
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You know we love you, Wouter! Thanks for all your work ahead of time. Without you, we'd have to wait forever to see things. I hope you feel like new soon. :D I can't wait for that Goddard. I've wanted one forever. I was worried it'd be too thin, too, but it looks great. Now we need one in medium size. ;)

- best wishes, Jazz.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Thanks for the videos. Looking forward to the Amsterdam thread.
Uke

Post by Uke »

Thanks mate, been looking forward to these! :)
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Thanks for the videos! Jot Singh Khalsa is on my want list.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
araneae

Post by araneae »

Much thanx for the videos Wouter. Can't wait for more. I need one of those Goddards.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Jot Singh Khalsa returns for a sprint run. I definitely noticed the difference in production quality of this sample, compared to my micarta original. The grinds look cleaner and the fit & finish is way better. As a lefty, I really appreciate the added clip mounting option. I realize this design looks unusual, but it's a very functional EDC and with these upgrades it should be an even better user.
Thx for the vid! Hmmm, Won't be picking up this one now that I saw it, I like the original better... the grind is straight on the orignal and the swetch looks nicer. The Micarta is nicer then the G10 to me. Ans why is there an extra screw just on the back, the frontside has only 3 screws to keep the knife together??? Somewhat disappointed, its a like the Starmate, which is a nice replica of the orignal, but not as good as the original. And it has the same MSRP as the Starmate, $300, which defenetly got it of the wanted list.

The Delica TID and Friction Folder on the otherhand excits me a lot! High MSRPs as well but nice new knives, I would love to see some vids on those :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Jazz wrote:You know we love you, Wouter! Thanks for all your work ahead of time. Without you, we'd have to wait forever to see things.
+1
It is great that you were able to go to SHOT and I am sorry for flu. I hope you will get better soon, but for now stay away from kids. There is an ancient remedy for flu in both sense of prevention and treatment: you need raw garlic (cooked will not do you any good). Squeeze on the food and eat. I am aware of smell, so dinner is the best option.
BTW, not a surprise that you convinced me to get Khalsa (you always do). I had an original for a while, but trade it later.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

bh49 wrote:+1
It is great that you were able to go to SHOT and I am sorry for flu. I hope you will get better soon, but for now stay away from kids. There is an ancient remedy for flu in both sense of prevention and treatment: you need raw garlic (cooked will not do you any good). Squeeze on the food and eat. I am aware of smell, so dinner is the best option.
BTW, not a surprise that you convinced me to get Khalsa (you always do). I had an original for a while, but trade it later.
Get better soon Mr Blonde!

My girlfriend's mom and grandma both wil cut an onion in half and leave one half in the area where everyone usually is, like the living room or dining room, and put another half next to the bed of the sick person. Supposedly the onion attracts all of the flu germs in the air.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thanks for posting. Really looking forward to what you bring back from Amsterdam.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Thanks for posting!
The Jot Singh Khalsa looks very interesting. I've always wanted an original. It looks like a real pocket buster though. I can't imagine carrying that with anything else in the pocket, with that huge hump on it! Still on my want list though.
:bug-red-white