Can a human live on nothing but meat?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Can a human live on nothing but meat?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I was reading about this explorer who lived with the Inuit/Eskimos decades ago and lived on their diet which if I read correctly consisted almost completely of meat and blubber/fat from the various animals they hunted, without alot of plant and vegetable matter, and he was healthy, as far as he was medically tested. And the American natives themselves were also healthy according to him and others.

Does this mean it is possible for a human to live that way, and acclimate to this diet, or is this a rare exception? What do you all think of this and would that only be doable in that very cold enviroment?

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Many humans have done this, at least seasonally, for all of human history. The question is not whether you can live on nothing but meat, you can. The question is, what are the long term health effects? I don't think the anecdotal evidence gives the answer. What was their life expectancy?
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Holland

Post by Holland »

brock lesnar lacked fruit and vegetables in his diet and his colon nearly fell out
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's doable if you enjoy scurvy :D . I have to think indigenous people find some type of vitamin c unless I know nothing about the health benefits of blubber.
uncleduncle

Post by uncleduncle »

Your body will certainly do what it must to survive but the sheer amount of protein and lack of fiber would make it very uncomfortable in the bathroom. There are also very little vitamins and minerals in meat, so I would never recommend it even though it is possible.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Even obligate carnivores don't "live on nothing but meat". They eat entire animals, including the stomach contents of herbivores and omnivores. I would not be terribly surprised to learn that Inuits/Eskimos do the same.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah, how many people have seen cats and dogs eating grass?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Evil D wrote:Yeah, how many people have seen cats and dogs eating grass?
They do on occasion. According to my vet, it's a way of self medicating.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:They do on occasion. According to my vet, it's a way of self medicating.
My cat drinks whisky and complains about life. Oh wait... ;)
springnr

Post by springnr »

The Inuit show it is possible, they adapted out of necessity. Some fruit or veggies here an there to go with the fat and meat is nice though.

Meat does not just mean muscles though, one must eat head to tail and savor the squeal too, as offal is where it's at for vitamins and minerals.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Evil D wrote:Yeah, how many people have seen cats and dogs eating grass?
Not just grass, either. Dogs, at least, are omnivorous. Even the best dry dog foods contain a fair percentage of grain and veggies. Bear loves carrot, potato, sweet potato, apple, peach, banana, and pizza crust. The Mini Daschund I had 50 years ago would eat corn right off the cob.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:My cat drinks whisky and complains about life. Oh wait... ;)
Ha! :D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:My cat drinks whisky and complains about life. Oh wait... ;)
He probably drinks because you're driving him nuts shining that flashlight on the wall ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

kbuzbee wrote:He probably drinks because you're driving him nuts shining that flashlight on the wall ;)

Ken
No shortage of neuroticism at our house. :p
angusW

Post by angusW »

One of the first things the Inuit would do when they made a kill, especially in the winter, was to go for the gallbladder for it's vitamin D. Also a lot of animals can make vitamin C in their bodies unlike Humans. If your just eating pork chops and bovine steaks then that isn't going to be too healthy but if you're utilizing most of the beast then you'll do alright. Animals not only have protein but a lot of minerals and vitamins in different parts of their bodies.

Even if you eat your veggies and fruit your probably not getting the right amount of vitamins and minerals. An animal that hasn't grown up on a farm eating gmo's grains or candy probably has more to offer than what a lot of people eat on a daily basis even with eating plant matter.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The narwhale contains vitamin d and c so that's the source also the communities have a chance on certain low tides to actually climb under the ice into caverns where mussels grow very dangerous but an important part of the diet.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:They do on occasion. According to my vet, it's a way of self medicating.
I always thought it was simply to add fiber bulk to their diet to clean out their insides.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Depends what kind of grass grows in your garden I suppose :D it is a digestive aid D for dogs at least cats prefer catnip which is the flower of spearmint plant.
Although not all cats are affected by it its a recessive gene mine get really whacked out on it.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

A bit ot but an interesting aside a group of scientists studied a colony of chimpanzees that as a group over decades had become more resourceful and intelligent.
They found that whilst most chimps hunt and eat other monkeys and also can be canibles this particular group would only eat the brain of other monkeys.
Obviously a source of something in that food was good for brain function like oily fish is for us.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Bladekeeper wrote:A bit ot but an interesting aside a group of scientists studied a colony of chimpanzees that as a group over decades had become more resourceful and intelligent.
They found that whilst most chimps hunt and eat other monkeys and also can be canibles this particular group would only eat the brain of other monkeys.
Obviously a source of something in that food was good for brain function like oily fish is for us.
So maybe those zombies are on to something...
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull