Word from SHOT 2013

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SolidState

Word from SHOT 2013

Post by SolidState »

What have you seen? Did you like it? Are there any new models worth mention? Please tell us!
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I am not at the SHOT show, but have spoken to a reliable source that was there. The source said that there was a prototype flipper designed by Eric that was pretty cool. It has the ball-bearing pivot ala the Southard, but it's not a collaboration.

Source says that there are about a dozen new sprints set to release in 2013 that were not listed in the catalog. Also talked about the Stretch Damascus sprint (noted that it was only going to be a 600 piece run).
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

A dozen? Not in the catalog? Oh my....

Ken
玉鋼
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

kbuzbee wrote:A dozen? Not in the catalog? Oh my....

:eek: :) :eek:
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Bring it on!!
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Bladewacked

Post by Bladewacked »

kbuzbee wrote:A dozen? Not in the catalog? Oh my....

Ken
I know right, I'm excited and worried at the same time. My wallet just hid under the table!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Hopefully the sprint eruption comes to pass this year. Sometimes intent and reality are two different things, particularly with the high demand for Spyderco products these days.
Invective

Post by Invective »

All I can say is I hope the Sprints come later in the year, I am still devastated from Christmas shopping :P
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

A dozen plus the ones already in the catalog seems like it is probably a bit high. I can't imagine that they have the production ability to pump out that many. I would guess that some of those are probably prototypes that have been mistaken for sprints.
On the hunt for...
araneae

Post by araneae »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:A dozen plus the ones already in the catalog seems like it is probably a bit high. I can't imagine that they have the production ability to pump out that many. I would guess that some of those are probably prototypes that have been mistaken for sprints.
The only place they have production issues is Golden. I would think their other makers are able to keep up with demand.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Maybe we will get a preview from the Amsterdam meet. That is one of my most anticipated threads of the year.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Did the flipper look to be in the Southard flipper's price range?
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:A dozen plus the ones already in the catalog seems like it is probably a bit high. I can't imagine that they have the production ability to pump out that many. I would guess that some of those are probably prototypes that have been mistaken for sprints.
I doubt it. My source is pretty well versed at distinguishing protos from sprints, although what may have been lost in translation was sprints versus distributor exclusives. The limitation on production is why I noted that the intent may be for about a dozen sprints, but reality may determine it to be less.

I don't want to name my source because I don't have his permission to do so, but I trust his knowledge. He spent some time with the Glassers at the show talking about all of these things.
Slash

Post by Slash »

I saw the forum knife. But, I swore to secrecy that I would not reveal it...SORRY
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Slash wrote:I saw the forum knife. But, I swore to secrecy that I would not reveal it...SORRY
YES! Great news, despite the lack of details. Thanks and I wish I were there.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Slash wrote:I saw the forum knife. But, I swore to secrecy that I would not reveal it...SORRY
hahaha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

What a tease! :p I'm wondering what the forum knife looks like now. Is it a normal native? Or really unique?
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

Hahah, this made me laugh :D . Wahoo can't wait for this :)
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Can you say you were impressed or what not?
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd rather hear nothing at all, than that! :(
:bug-red-white