NJ balisong legality

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
jroc

NJ balisong legality

Post by jroc »

I've read the knife laws for New Jersey and I still am not sure if balisongs are legal to own or not. I just want one for the collection and not to carry. Anyone know for sure? I've been looking around on various forums and everyone seems to have a different answer.
Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

jroc wrote:I've read the knife laws for New Jersey and I still am not sure if balisongs are legal to own or not. I just want one for the collection and not to carry. Anyone know for sure? I've been looking around on various forums and everyone seems to have a different answer.
Even if you can find the knife law for your state, you still may not be sure. Knife laws are uniformly vague and confusing.

Not sure about NJ, but balisongs frequently get mentioned in state laws. Don't ask me why they are objected to so fiercely, makes no sense to me. I can deploy most any Spydie as fast or faster than a balisong, maybe not quite as flashy. :D
Pretty sure the "flashy" deployment is what gets them in trouble.

If you have no intention of ever carrying it and just collecting, you should be safe unless you're doing something that would get your house searched. :eek:
Just my opinion, I am NOT a lawyer.

If you have't yet, you might try posting in the Knife Law forum on BladeForums, there are some very knowledgeable folks there, many of them lawyers, who may provide more informed quidance.
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

The legal advice you'll get on the Internet is worth exactly what you pay for it. As Owl mentions, knife laws can be very vague. For example, I can legally carry a locking knife in the specific city in New Jersey where I work, but not in New York City (where I live). Of course, I keep all of mine in my desk drawer. :rolleyes:

Laws are also not a constant. A few years ago I had a balisong shipped into NYC. Today, that would not be possible.

Best that you check with the local LEOs, assuming that you actually get to speak with someone who is current as to the laws in the specific jurisdiction.

I also tend to agree with Owl as to balisongs in general. Unless you're willing to put in a lot of practice, they aren't anything special. If you're really intent on learning, I'd suggest also getting a trainer version or a lot of bandaids. :eek:
jroc

Post by jroc »

I'm not even really interesting in learning how to flip them. Like I said I just want a high quality and good looking one for my collection. I just need to find out if I can get one shipped to me without it being a crime. Several sites have disclaimers about their autos policy but don't seem to say anything on balisongs. I might give the local police station a call after the new years and see what they have to say but like you said even they probably don't know. But it's not life or death. If I can't get one I'll just have to buy another knife instead. I have a huge want list to choose from.
NYRich

Post by NYRich »

jroc wrote:If I can't get one I'll just have to buy another knife instead. I have a huge want list to choose from.
Haven't we all? :D
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Owl45 wrote:Pretty sure the "flashy" deployment is what gets them in trouble.
I agree - and it has been said many time on this forum before. Police are concerned with whether you are carrying a "weapon" and/or are exhibiting "threatening" behavior. If you take a POC $2 bali out of your pocket and sling it around in public, you'll likely get jacked up. Just use common sense...

If you go about your business with a knife in your pocket - and give the Police no reason to question you - then you will likely be OK.

YMMV, obviously.

TedP
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

One possible way to find out if they're legal would be to call a shop in NJ that's an authorized Benchmade dealer. Not suggesting you buy one, but if they stock them, or are willing to order one for you, it's a pretty good indication they're legal to own in NJ.

Beyond that, I'm no lawyer but I wouldn't advise carrying a balisong in public unless you're 100% certain it's not only legal to do so in your state, but that the average beat cop knows that it's legal. IMHO, what people do in the privacy of their own homes is a different matter. I know that, no matter where in the USA I was living, if I could find a reputable dealer willing to ship one to me, I'd have no qualms about purchasing a balisong (or an automatic for that matter).
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

nce again, bit by the Manix 2 bug. The first time i bought one it was on impulse, and the main thing i fell in love with was the lock. After a good few months of EDC, that romance burned out. I'm just not a big fan of 154CM, and the weight and width-in-pocket were too many cons for me to keep it around.

This time around, the upgrade to S30V (which I have a great working relationship with) and the DLC/black everything instantly won me over. If this knife were FFG, I would have to call it a toss up between it and the DLC Para 2. I can point out things I like better about either knife over the other.

As a side note, there's quite a bit of light hitting the blade in these pics. This one is definitely more "smooth" feeling DLC than my Para 2 was, which had an almost chalky feeling to it. I'm not sure i'd call this BLACK, it definitely isn't as black as the Para 2 was.
jimmy
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

I live in NJ. I will assure you they are "not legal" to have anywhere outside of you residence. Meaning you will get f'd with if you're caught with one. It's NJ, if you live here you know that. NJ courts consider Balisongs, "gravity knives" though we all know better. Read the law it's spelled out in all of it's glory for the Police and Lawyers to have their way with. Just the fact the law states-

"Gravity knife" means any knife which has a
blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof
by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal
force... "

Since Butterfly knife or Balisong isn't spelled out by name it's technically a gray area but we all who live here know this state is not 2nd Amendment friendly by anyone's stretch of the imagination. In your home it's a collector piece, out of you home it's a 4th degree crime.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

I live in Jersey as well. They're not legal. I think they're considered gravity knives.
:spyder: :spyder: Kirk Brouwer :spyder: :spyder: