Native, Delica, or Stretch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Native, Delica, or Strtch

Native Lighwteight
15%
Delica
48%
Stretch Lightweight VG-10
37%

Total votes: 62

notos&w

Post by notos&w »

You can't go wrong with any of the three.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha and welcome kbrouwer,

Okay, after reading this was for the Scouts, I had to change my mind. I got experience with all three, but I have the luxury of a CF Stretch gifted to me by The Deacon. (Thanks Paul!)

I say go Delica. Economical, ergonomical, fits about every hand comfortably.

I *was* going to say Native, as the wide blade when used with the choil allows some great cutting. That being said though, it's that same feature that causes people to either like it...or not.

Stretch...The Deac' sent this one to me to make me a "believer" in it. :p I can now honestly say, "I believe! I believe! :D " Great ergo's this one has...however, it might be viewed as "too big" still.

Take care! :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Well, I voted Native since you are going to use it as a tough EDC. I have to say my Native FRN is the best knife I have for carving wood, making feather sticks, or whatever you are looking to do with cutting wood. It is the knife I always turn to if I am going to do heavy duty cutting.
That said, it isn't the best slicer. Don't get me wrong it will still cut, but with the wide blade and shallow hollow grind both the Stretch and Delica will slice a little better.
As has been previously stated all three knives are great and no matter which you choose you will not be dissapointed!
Please share which you pick and your reasoning when you do get one!
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

As I have all three of them and like them very much it is use that caused me to vote "Native". For an all-purpose it seems to be the better of those blades, a heavy use folder! The Stretch is my favorite when it comes to slicing and handle comfort, it tapers great towards the tip-maybe too much for harder tip work as twisting to make a hole in wood/leather (or, as I read in an other thread, plastic-but that was a ZDP one).
The Delica´s handle is the least comfortable for me-simply too slim for longer tasks, it has no choil-I like the option of getting close to the edge-and the FFG version has, like the Stretch, a very thin tip that is rouded off-not as pointy as the Native´s. I love the saber grind version for work because they are very slim compared to the other two in the poll but at work I just need to open cardbord boxes and therefor the small handle is OK.
So for outdoor EDC and learning survival techniques I would prefer the Native (also for the steel which seems to hold an aggressive edge a little longer than VG10) over Delica saber ground and the awesome Stretch as last of the three.