Best value SHTF fixed blade, under $200?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's always befuddling the people who choose designer blades to thrash through the nine circles of ****. A Condor Varan is 1075 carbon and $27.

I understand those who are shopping for a specific alloy (like 3v) but otherwise paying a ton of money for a simple carbon blade is like buying the Geo Metro Gucci Edition...
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Blerv wrote:It's always befuddling the people who choose designer blades to thrash through the nine circles of ****. A Condor Varan is 1075 carbon and $27.

I understand those who are shopping for a specific alloy (like 3v) but otherwise paying a ton of money for a simple carbon blade is like buying the Geo Metro Gucci Edition...
It rides like a dream, my friend. Rides. Like. A dream. :p

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

$200 for a D2 fixed blade with pinned handles?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

kennethsime wrote:$200 for a D2 fixed blade with pinned handles?
You betcha! Don't get no better'n that! :D 'Posed to be a really tough bugger. You know, for the zombie apocalypse & such.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

Blerv wrote:...like buying the Geo Metro Gucci Edition...
You've heard of the Aston Martin Cygnet, haven't you?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 56-57 RC a bit low for D2? :confused:
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Regardless of price, the main fixed-blade I rely on is my Glock 81 knife. About $30 new, edge needs to be touched up out of the box a bit, carbon steel that's easy to re-sharpen or maintain, black coating that keeps rust at bay. Can be converted to a spear just by removing the end-cap, put a stick in, put a nail through the hole (can carry one inside the handle), and there you go. Nice spear without the need for any lashing. (Cold Steel wasn't first with their Bushman model.)

Even without that, despite the narrow blade, you can chop with it to a pretty decent degree. And, you can baton with it. For those who don't want saw-teeth, there's the Glock 78 Field knife version.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder: