Khukuri Christmas!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderNut

Khukuri Christmas!

Post by SpyderNut »

My darling wife surprised me once again with a new knife for Christmas. (She had informed me about a week before Christmas that she’d ordered one knife for me, but wouldn’t give me any clues as to what it was). So, imagine my great surprise when I opened the package and found:

The Spyderco C125 Khukuri!

The Khukuri has been near the top my list of “must-have” for a few years now. The fact that they are hard to find and painfully expensive have made locating one especially difficult. I have always admired the graceful lines of the Khukuri. Talk about delicate features! The Khukuri reminds me of a surgeon’s scalpel—more of a finesse cutting tool vs. a close-quarters combat knife. I find this Schempp design to be the most appealing to me (yes, even over the coveted Kris). I love how compactly the beautiful recurved-shaped blade fits inside the G-10 handle. The fit and finish is superb on this model. I have always preferred the screw-together type construction on my knives, and the Khukuri fits into this category perfectly. The blade swings into place with a subtle “click” and locks up tightly with no side to side play whatsoever. In my honest opinion, I really wouldn’t change a thing on this model. It is truly a work of art!

Despite my intrigue with the new Khukuri, Christmas was far from being over. My wife also blessed me with two other fantastic knives: The C164 Nilakka and the C83GPRD Persian Folder:

I have always admired the Persian Folder and generally kicked myself for not picking one up sooner (especially before they were discontinued). The Red Persian (as I call it) is also a work of art. As many are likely aware, this particular model is a Sprint Run. It was originally offered with a black handle and stainless bolster. However, I really find the red handle to be a perfect complement to this design. I applaud Mr. Schempp for another excellent knife design!

Last, but certainly not the least, is the newly released Nilakka (designed by Finnish knifemaker Pekka Tuominen). Although I wasn’t a huge fan of the first (fix-bladed) design, I must say that the Nilakka is an exceptionally beautiful knife. The stout CPM-S30V blade sails out of the handle with minimal effort applied to opening hole and snaps into place. At 8.13” overall length, the Nilakka is decently sized and would be very suitable as an every-day carry knife. It is, however, somewhat weighty at 5 oz., but not so heavy that you feel like you’re lugging a soup can in your pocket. The bead-blasted brown G-10 handle is magnificent and I love the diamond shape of the grip. Perhaps most surprising to me were the ergonomics of the knife. Although it appears to be somewhat boxy and uncomfortable, the Nilakka fits inside my hand just as comfortably as my Manix 2. The zero-ground (“Scandi-ground”) blade yields a phenomenal edge and would be perfect for most slicing tasks. As with the other models assembled in Taichung Taiwan, the Nilakka is without blemish and perfect in fit and finish. I would very highly recommend this knife to anyone.

Needless to say, I am incredibly grateful to my wife! She mentioned the one knife for a gift, but I never suspected the other two. What an amazing woman! :)

Happy Holidays to All,
Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Wow! What a haul, congrats on several accounts :D
araneae

Post by araneae »

Very nice. Your wife did well for you.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Lucky man you have a very good wife there mate I'm banned from knives untill next year and didn't get one for Christmas having four kids meant I got nothing.
I may change my username to tiny Tim :D .
Seriously that gal needs treating .
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Where do you find a wife like that?
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Your wife is awesome :)

By the way, the Khukuri has been in my top ten since it first came out. It's been one of the most comfortable and useable knives I've ever owned. Congrats and hope you enjoy it!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nice finds :) !
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Congrats on the super nice catches!! I need to find a red persian, that knife is so sweet!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Holland

Post by Holland »

wow awesome haul! shes a keeper for sure
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I really appreciate the kind words, guys. (My wife does too. She blushed just a little when I told her I posted this. :) ) To answer your question, SolidState, I found my wife on page 7 of the 2008 Spyderco Catalog. :D ;) (It was love at first sight!).

All the best,

Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
goodbloke

Post by goodbloke »

nice knife,im not the jealous type but if i was i would be :D have always wanted one of those,congrats and enjoy! as for the wife she is even more rare.
when your back is against the wall sometimes you have to turn around and fight.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

those are excellent knives, your wife definitely knows her way around knives!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Mr Blonde wrote:those are excellent knives, your wife definitely knows her way around knives!
This is so true! In fact, it's kind of funny because my wife actually knows more about knives (i.e. different steel types, blade grinds, handle materials, model rarity, MSRP's, etc.) than most people I know. Over Christmas break this past week, I bet my wife that she couldn't name all my Spyderco knives without looking at their boxes. She readily took the bet and then blew me away when she actually named all of them correctly! :eek: If only I could learn to listen as well as she does. :) She's a wonderful woman to be sure. ;)

defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Awesome. 3 top notch ethnic-style knives. I think I will be on the lookout for all of Ed Schempp's work, and the Nilakka looks pretty cool as well. the hexagonal handle actually reminds me of a Japanese tanto knife handle.

Spydernut, you have got yourself a good one. Kudos and congrats.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!