Why I love byrd knives...

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
ASmitty

Why I love byrd knives...

Post by ASmitty »

Since this sub-forum is new, I'd like to share a little bit of my "knife history" and explain why I think the byrds have been such a great thing.

I have been into knives for almost as long as I can remember. I received my first folding knife (a Vic Classic SD) from my dad for my 9th birthday. It was a great day, and a passing of trust from my dad (acknowledging that I was responsible enough for a knife). My next two knives were acquired when I was 12. I purchased a Boy Scout Utility knife (the BSA knife with the red SAK-like scales) and a Victorinox Recruit that year. The first thing I remember triggering an affinity for knives in me was MacGuyver. The utility he was able to attain with his pocketknife convinced me that I needed to have one with me at all times. I eventually lost the BSA knife but saved up hard to buy a Victorinox Huntsman later that same year. As years went on, I moved up to bigger and better knives. My first decent quality folder was a Gerber EZ out in 1997 (remember, I said decent quality, not great). I bought my first Spyderco in 1999 during my freshman year in college. It was a limited run Aluminum Police model. Not knowing as much then as I do now, I edc'd that thing until is was in terrible shape. I bought a Snap-It that year as well for smaller edc occasions (I was really into the hanging my knife from my belt loop after I got that).

Over the years since, I've owned a lot of knives, and I've also sold a lot of them. For the last 10 years, my collecting and carrying interests have really been divided between Kershaw/ZT and Spyderco. I've owned knives from other companies, but I've sold most of them. Except for the Cold Steel large Voyager that lives in my bug out bag. I live in South Dakota. Hunting and fishing are staples around here. As far as knives go, there is almost nothing illegal here. I used to work in a bank where one of the men who worked there always had a Buck 110 on his belt and no one bothered. At the same bank, my knife once fell out of my pocket in my boss's office and all she did was bring it back to me at my desk and got a good chuckle about me losing it in her office. Some days, I see more people with knives clipped to their pocket than those who don't. One thing I've learned living in a place where knives are accepted as readily as they are here, even the majority of people who carry a knife don't carry a good one. Cheap Gerbers, Smith and Wessons, and no name folders rule their pockets. The ones who care about made in the USA, generally carry a Buck.

So, after my rambling, you're probably wondering where I'm going with this. Well, how does a solid knife company get the business of the people who are out there buying the more generic overseas produced knives. I know this has been said before, but Spyderco implemented, IMO, an extremely visionary solution to this quandary. For lack of a better wat to express it, Spyderco created a budget-friendly "off brand" of their products. Instead of ignoring or trying to quash the issue of lower quality budget knives, Spyderco took the bull by the horns and brought quality materials and workmanship into the budget arena. That is the reason I love byrd knives so much. Because it represents, in a big way, the forward-thinking and creative problem solving that has become a Spyderco hallmark. I've owned several byrds, and I've given away even more of them as gifts. The recipients are almost always floored by the quality and (knowing my penchant for spending top dollar on knives) ask how much it cost. Most of them are even more surprised by the price than the quality. I always hear people say that for the money, the byrds can't be beat. I've bought and owned knives costing up to twice as much as a Meadowlark or Cara Cara that don't have as much to offer.

For all those with the patience to get through this, thanks for reading.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Cool story. I like mid-priced knives as well (Delica, D'fly).

BTW, nice sig line.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ASmitty,

Edge addiction usually has some story of a young 'un and his blades. Thanx much for sharing the story.

Thanx also for the kind comments about our company.

sal
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

sal wrote:Hi ASmitty,

Edge addiction usually has some story of a young 'un and his blades. Thanx much for sharing the story.

Thanx also for the kind comments about our company.

sal
No need to thank me sal. It's been a pleasure owning and using Spyderco products. Thank you for making them so well.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Paradiggum

Post by Paradiggum »

In my opinion, they're one of the...if not the best value in their price range. Over the past few years I've bought and given away more than a few. I've carried a Delica for over 12 yrs now and have many other Spyderco knives. I've started most of my friends carrying knives after they liked mine and saw how useful it was. So the friends that didn't go out and get their own got Byrds for birthdays or Christmas. Most of those friends, after carrying whatever Byrd I got them for a bit went out and bought a Spyderco. Something else I've noticed is that they've started giving Byrd knives as gifts. While that didn't make most of them knife collectors and users like most of us are, they now know what it's like to carry something that's made well instead of something that might be found in a gas station or something like that. And when they go to recommend a knife or buy a gift for someone, they're giving good info or good knives.
I'm not saying there aren't other folders in the same price range that are good. There are. But....they don't have the ergos and the other design touches that makes carry and use effortless. Be it a Byrd or a Spyderco, there are other companies making comparable knives in material and fit and finish. I just think that the extra effort in design that Sal and crew put into the product is what makes them shine over others. That's why they end up clipped in my pocket ready for the day instead of in a drawer collecting dust.
jeff_C

Post by jeff_C »

Dont get me wrong. I would love to have some of the higher end Spydercos... but I just cant justify the cost...

So the standard Spydercos (Endura, Delica, UKPK, Native) and the Byrd line all get my vote.

More expensive does not necessarily mean better.

My Byrds have never let me down. At all.. not once. So in my book, they are a great knife!
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Thanks for a great story ASmitty and another reason to like Spyderco. :)
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

jeff_C wrote:Dont get me wrong. I would love to have some of the higher end Spydercos... but I just cant justify the cost...

So the standard Spydercos (Endura, Delica, UKPK, Native) and the Byrd line all get my vote.

More expensive does not necessarily mean better.

My Byrds have never let me down. At all.. not once. So in my book, they are a great knife!
I totally agree!
Since getting started with byrd knives and spyderco knives, my other knives aren't getting much pocket time. Even some rather expensive knives!
Spyderco knives just fit my hand. Keep it up!
Holland

Post by Holland »

good story, thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
goodbloke

Post by goodbloke »

i also think that the byrd range rule,the meadowlark 2 and cara cara 2 feel like high end folders to me and the steel is pretty good too.i always have byrd knives at work as backup and keep them in my fast response bags.they also seem to be the knife that my friends get interested in as the price isnt to high for non knife nuts. :D the only reason i dont tent to carry them over spyderco is that i like the round hole better,thats all.keep em comming!
when your back is against the wall sometimes you have to turn around and fight.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I think most of the Byrds are in immediate use an incredible value and often competitive with comparable Spydies - that said, I will always dig Spyderco knives for better steel and materials. I foresee getting more of both, but there is no doubt that you can get a lot of knife for not a lot of money in a Byrd.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
messer454

Post by messer454 »

I used to give Victorinox knives away to boys (and family girls) who were in about the 5th grade and crossing over from Webelos into Boy Scouts or kids that have started hunting/camping. One thing I learned is that it is often hard to open these if the kid doesn't have finger nails. While I still value Vic knives for their utility. Byrd knives offer more of a wow factor from the boys and they are easy to open and easy to learn how to sharpen. I love giving them away as gifts.
"Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

SpyderNation # 0019
Norris

Post by Norris »

Byrd & Spyderco have become my EDC knives. I love them and the company is awesome from managment to the shipping guys ! :spyder:
:spyder: