Workin' in the yard knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tr4022

Workin' in the yard knife...

Post by tr4022 »

What do you suggest? Any favorites out there?

I started the thread about getting a "nice" edc knife for my b-day next month, but nothin's floating my boat, perhaps because I already have the "nice" edc thing covered. I already own a Sage 1, Chap 1, Air, so I guess I'm not feeling motivated enough to spend a lot of dough on another, pricier one.

So aside from discrete, suburban edc, the other use I have for a knife is yard/house work. Here, I feel I can be a little less restrained in my choices because I'm not going to be toting it into my kid's preschool or anything like that.

So whaddaya like for yard work, etc.? Military? Bradley Folder? Para 2? Manix 2? How about the Pacific Salt and/or Atlantic Salt? I like the H1 steel that won't rust.

Also, the enuff sheepsfoot looks good, too.

Anyone? It's a discussion forum, so ... Discuss!

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Anything Salt would be my pick. Hawkbill would be fun :)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd vote the enuff sheep foot its a fixed blade so it's easier to clean nuff said
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Blerv wrote:Anything Salt would be my pick. Hawkbill would be fun :)
Yep, got a yellow Tasman that's starting to look pretty beaten up -- which is a good thing, not bad. It's nice not to have to worry about moisture.

Tod
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

VashHash wrote:I'd vote the enuff sheep foot its a fixed blade so it's easier to clean nuff said
yeah, that looks really practical for my purposes, I agree. Maybe I'll wait for the H1 version, though, although I haven't had any problems with VG10.

Tod
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

The folder I use the most in the yard is a serrated Stretch.

I picked it up on sale from the worlds largest online retailer for about $50.
benben

Post by benben »

I posted a thread just like this a couple months ago and someone suggested a VG-10 Stretch. I ordered one that day and
am very happy with it. And it gets used EVERY Saturday and 2 or 3 other days of the week !
benben
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

While i wouldn't say it's the end all beat all choice, my Military has been that knife since I bought it. I don't think H1 is necessary...just clean and dry your knife after the days work and you'll be fine. I prefer plain edge because it's a lot easier to slice branches than it is with serrations.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

What are you going to be using it for in the yard? I really don't use a knife for yard work except for cutting out weeds. For that I use a old Dexter serrated kitchen utility knife. For branches/limbs I use a saw.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

Military SE is hands down the best yard work knife. I don't think they make the SE version anymore, but serrations are a must. Any other fully serrated Spydie around 4" or so should do, like the endura or police.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Pacific Salt Spyderedge!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Several of my knives fit this description and this is how most of them get their real use.
Rescue

Mule (Normally Cru Wear, but I am planning to put the XHP into the rotation.)

On rare days this one gets to see some backyard time.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

tr4022 wrote:Yep, got a yellow Tasman that's starting to look pretty beaten up -- which is a good thing, not bad. It's nice not to have to worry about moisture.

Tod
I find the bigger one works out better for yard work. Tasman is fine but Spyderhawk is even better.

Ken
玉鋼
BAL

Post by BAL »

Of your choices, i would say yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.
Personally I would say a Military.
J32A2

Post by J32A2 »

My yard knife
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I too highly recommend the Salt Series. A Salt I always goes in my pocket for routine yard work. Occasionally I pocket the Pacific Salt, if I have something particular that may need a larger blade, but the Pacific is usually reserved for my fishing/camping needs. I don't have, but really want a curved, serrated Salt. It will definitely work better on cutting vines, weed whacker string, rope, twine and small branches. However tasks requiring a push cut can't be easily accomplished with a curved or serrated blade. I can't come up with a yard work chore where push cuts are routine, so for a dedicated yard work tool the serrated may be the way to go. I chose the PE blade because it can be used as a better multi-use tool and do things like spread peanut butter should you need it on a rainy camping trip near the ocean. :) Good Luck and Happy Early Birthday!
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Something with teeth. Also, probably a good idea to get something inexpensive, like one of the Salts.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

My wife and I garden a LOT. You can't beat one of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page ... 45&p=10504

Prior to getting one, I wore a cheap $10 Mora down so much that the blade lost it's shape. Digging is really hard on knives.

Gordon
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

I do yard work with two blades... My Tasman Salt and a Woodman's Pal. The Spydie is small but with the hawk bill and a serrated blade it's a hugely capable little guy.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

.357 mag wrote:What are you going to be using it for in the yard? I really don't use a knife for yard work except for cutting out weeds. For that I use a old Dexter serrated kitchen utility knife. For branches/limbs I use a saw.
Good question. I don't know if this is a Southern thing (Va.)--I was raised in NE Ohio-- but we have all this viney stuff growing in our yard. Grows into the other plants, across the lawn, etc. Knife is handy for cutting off trees, etc. Also for cutting twine to bundle downed tree limbs, you name it.

Tod