How useful are the mule team series?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
arjay18

How useful are the mule team series?

Post by arjay18 »

I've been looking at getting one or two but haven't gotten the slightest clue what to use them for. They look a bit too small and i'm not sure about them. Are they great beaters or kitchen knives? Any ideas?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

IMO, they are great in the kitchen and around the house for general EDC tasks. Think of it as a fixed blade Manix 2.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

They are pretty versatile- I use mine for bushcraft, hunting and kitchen. They work well for most things except chopping. Needless to say, there are better knives for specific tasks but as a platform for testing steels they have to be able to cover all sorts of applications, which they do.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
RevDevil

Post by RevDevil »

arjay18 wrote:I've been looking at getting one or two but haven't gotten the slightest clue what to use them for. They look a bit too small and i'm not sure about them. Are they great beaters or kitchen knives? Any ideas?
They are meant to be used for whatever your heart desires actually. The only limitation is your imagination and legality. If you want to beat on them, that is your prerogative. They are ideal for those of us that love different steel to have an opportunity to affordably try out a specific type of steel that might not be widely available in most cases.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Take a Mule & one Tenacious. Overlay the mule on the Tenacious. Look ! :D One & the same. One fixed blade Tenacious in a super steel.
Now, what could we use a Tenacious for, hmm.
O.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I use a 52100 Mule in the shop for trimming wood fibers so they don't tear out, as well as misc tasks.

The Temp 2 has supplanted my other Mules for kitchen and general duty, but the Mule is an all around good EDC.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

They're nice knives for the outdoors unless you're building shelters or making firewood. Small enough to carry well, light weight, sturdy, nice ergos, super steels, what more could you want? A mule and a hatchet and you're set even if you're into that survival training thing. A mule and a SAK otherwise. ;)

Gordon
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

Wow! Those actions shots has really sold me on the mule.They look like the perfect size for the tasks, I was expecting them to be much smaller. I wonder why Spyderco chooses not to disclose the size on the product page of the new mule team.

I've pulled out my tenacious and it's going to be a winner if indeed they have the same blade shape and size.

Are there tutorials on the ways you could paracord wrap the handle? Looks like the most economical way to go.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I'm sure you can find video tutorials on the tube, but I would suggest trying some experimentation first to determine how thick you want the grip.
*Landon*
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

O,just,O wrote:Take a Mule & one Tenacious. Overlay the mule on the Tenacious. Look ! :D One & the same. One fixed blade Tenacious in a super steel.
Now, what could we use a Tenacious for, hmm.
O.
You don't say...

I took this photo when I got my first Mule last spring.

Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The handle is an almost perfect copy of the Stretch 2, one of Sal's favorites.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
JLS

Post by JLS »

I find them very useful. One of my Super Blue Mules lives in the kitchen and 90% of the time there is one on my belt. They've displaced the Moran and Temperance fixed blades for EDC on my belt.

It is an excellent blade shape and grind and a great 2D handle. If you make a good 3D handle, it's even better.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The blank is very useful, with a handle any Mule becomes a very fine and useful small fixed blade. Be aware of the flavor of steel you buy. The purpose after all is to give "steel junkies" a chance to check out new materials. Maybe to give Spyderco some HT practice as well :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'm thinking it needs a good belt sheath and some scales to be useful to me.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

Paracord and duct tape is all you need, Chuck! :D
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm thinking it needs a good belt sheath and some scales to be useful to me.
... Like this?
*Landon*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

xceptnl wrote:... Like this?
Very nice! And yes, like that. :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

arjay18 wrote:Paracord and duct tape is all you need, Chuck! :D
LOL, arj. I hate paracord handled knives. :D
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm thinking it needs a good belt sheath and some scales to be useful to me.
So chop-chop. :D I've made four leather sheaths and three kydex sheaths, along with custom shaped handles for a half dozen mules. HT scales on two, cordwrap on one. Cordwrap is my least favorite, BTW.

Gordon
Holland

Post by Holland »

mine has been used in the kitchen a whole bunch an has exceeded my expectations
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE