Filip de Leeuw Collab Friction Folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Blastmaster1972 wrote:Is this confirmed?

This is one Spyderco I'm looking forward to! Legal carry, and designed by my friend Filip De Leeuw!

Kind regards,

Jos
Normailly Filip should have recieved the first ones! Only the new catalogue will tell, in a few weeks we will know if its official.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Blastmaster1972

Post by Blastmaster1972 »

Just looked through the new catalog, and it's there! And it looks good!

The first Spyderco designed by a Belgian knifemaker, I HAVE to have one!

Kind regards,

Jos
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

w3tnz wrote:But then again I wouldn't buy anything that didn't lock up so I wouldn't really know what goes through the mind of a FF consumer :p
It seems that you don't realize that a friction folder is a lockable knife when the lever has enough length like the one of the De Leeuw's design.
I don't trust any locking mechanism, except Opinel rotating ring and my hand. With a friction folder, my hand's palm or one of my fingers is a part of the locking mechanism.
Most of the time, the lever will hurt your skin way before the blade is supposed to close. You receive a clear signal / alert, contrary to a back-lock, liner-lock, frame-lock knife that is going to fail.

A friction folder can be more secure than any of your knife with a "lock up". ;)
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Blastmaster1972 wrote:Just looked through the new catalog, and it's there! And it looks good!

The first Spyderco designed by a Belgian knifemaker, I HAVE to have one!

Kind regards,

Jos
:cool:

First of all Congrats Filip, now it's official :) Oh, there is certainly one coming my way. First Friction and First Belgian Spydie and aren't the mosaic pins not a first as well :) And with a nice pouch ;)

sal

Post by sal »

We've spoken to Filip about designing a locking model for us. The friction folder is part of the Ethinc series.

sal
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

sal wrote:We've spoken to Filip about designing a locking model for us. The friction folder is part of the Ethinc series.

sal
That sounds very promising. Chinese/Buffalo or something different?
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

sal wrote:We've spoken to Filip about designing a locking model for us. The friction folder is part of the Ethinc series.

sal
Thx Sal for the info!! I'm stoked to hear this! Looking forward on hearing more of this project later on :)

NoFair wrote:That sounds very promising. Chinese/Buffalo or something different?
The Buffalo would be great!!!

Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

IG-88 wrote:The Buffalo would be great!!!
I fully agree, I have one with a damascus blade and mammoth scale.
But the plain ones are great too.
It is wonderful in the hand for such a large folder.

All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
HiCap

Post by HiCap »

w3tnz wrote:Whats to like? It certainly wont be the price.. Maybe if you had to have a stainless, nice looking FF? I can see the attraction for someone bound by law but even then its not what I'd pick..

If you want to play with a friction folder go buy a peasant knife for $15?
I just got one. Great. I'm a Spyderco fan; have six including a Zulu and Hummingbird. I will get the friction folder. BUT, meanwhile, where did you get the sheath for the Svord?

HiCap