Enuff fixed blades new for 2013/upcoming Mule release

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd say VG10, S30V, 1095, or 440C.

Most here know and have tried these steels I'd guess probably in this above order.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
cckw

Post by cckw »

sal wrote:Hi Brian,

It's not beyond possibility. What steel do you think should be the "Standard" Mule team?

Anyone else interested?

sal

I would prefer not. It is a special thing that pops up every now and then in an exciting flavor. In my opinion this would be watered down with full time availability in something like S30V.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'd not be interested in S30V at all...
On the hunt for...
Mr_Moe

Post by Mr_Moe »

Are the Enuff scales pinned?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Wowza... too many different conversations going on here. Are we talking about the mule teams or Enuffs?
DeathBySnooSnoo

the last bit of the convo is mostly in response to sal talking about making a "standard" production mule. A sort of baseline to measure against I think. that is why I suggest 1095 and 440C....2 well known and well respected steels that have been used in knives for many many years.
On the hunt for...
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

What about flint? That was used for a while, too :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

1. I'm not really thrilled with the looks of the Enuff knives. Initially when talk about them came out, the idea of a small fixed blade wharnie was interesting....i dunno something about the shape in the end doesn't do it for me. That's just personal taste though, i'm sure they're great knives.

2. As far as having a mule team knife available all the time, i think it's a great idea, but not with a "standard steel". What i'd like to see is several steels offered all the time, like the typical steels you see....VG10, S30V, ZDP, maybe 4-5 variations of common easy to get steel available all the time, or at least in low production numbers so there isn't a lot of product sitting on shelves. That way if they sell out, oh well and people will have to wait for the next batch. I personally would LOVE to have a VG10/S30V/ZDP mule. The knife platform itself is awesome enough to justify it in my opinion. If that many variations are too much, then maybe just two....something like VG10 or some kind of steel that would make a fine kitchen duty steel that's easy to sharpen and holds a good edge, and the other be something tougher and maybe carbon based for the outdoors/harder use crowd.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

I brought up a low cost standard production model based on the mule pattern and made out of 8Cr to keep prices low. It would be a nice kit knife and would allow people to get into making custom scales without a big financial commitment.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

+1
Don't use an expensive blade for your first kit knife. I sort of ruined a $50 Enzo Trapper like that :rolleyes:
DeathBySnooSnoo

I wouldn't buy an 8Cr13MoV. Maybe 9Cr13MoV....which is basically 440C.
On the hunt for...
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

sal wrote:Hi Brian,

It's not beyond possibility. What steel do you think should be the "Standard" Mule team?

Anyone else interested?

sal
Hi Sal:

As I suggest in my original thread, VG-10 steel would be preferred, if you want to make the blade in Japan or Taiwan, or S30V, if you want to make it in Golden. From a cost saving point of view BD-1 could be used. All three are excellent steels that have had relatively long usage in a variety of knives with BD-1 being the newest, yet retro, improved of GIN-1 the original steel used by Spyderco.

The point I am trying to make about the Mule is that it is a great utility design that has been limited to the Mule Team project thus far. By creating the Mule Team Standard, its potential is increased and in addition generates even more interest in the Mule Team project.
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.