Hi Sal , just a thought

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manix Guy 2

Hi Sal , just a thought

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Well I have been pondering the the end of the Superleaf model and the past Superhawk model using the same handle which is a great design . I hope you continue in the future to reinvent the Super , maybe a drop point or a tanto for example ? Regards MG2
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Interesting thought MG2. The handle of the Superleaf and Superhawk is certainly an excellent hard-use, SHTF handle design. It is very strong and a mostly "no frills" kind of design. I think one of the things that may have led to the discontinuation of the Superleaf though is the overlap with the PM2 in terms of features and POU.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I think the design of the Super platform is very refined. The ergonomics are so good that it handles like a knife that is 60% of its size - with all the cutting power of a larger knife. Pure genius.

I'm hoping for a sprint run or two. Anyone for a SuperLeaf in M3 or 3V?

TedP
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think "Super" Blue is the only Japanese eligible super steel that would work good for the Superleaf platform.

A Super Blue Leaf sounds pretty nice if you ask me.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

How about a super blue super wharnie
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Yes the PM2 may be a reason but may I suggest thr manix XL may have been another factor ? The Wharnie idea would also be awesome ! Regards to all , MG2 .
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

domanfp wrote:how about a super blue super wharnie
+1 :d
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Maybe something could change but the platform thus far has not survived the sales game. The leaf blade, with G10 and jimping should have put up the best fight but sadly didn't.

I don't know if it needs more promotion (like a Nutnfancy video), more education, or both. As much as I would like another blade shape I'm a skeptic.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

As someone stated in another thread. I think the PM2 (and the manix2 for that matter) at its price point helped lead the superleaf to failure. I was waiting myself for a PM2 to come into stock when the superleaf dropped in price. The superleaf was what I wanted in the first place but couldn't justify the price.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:Yes the PM2 may be a reason but may I suggest thr manix XL may have been another factor ? The Wharnie idea would also be awesome ! Regards to all , MG2 .
You may suggest that. I think the idea is right on the money. FWIW, I've kinda felt like the Superleaf was the secret love child of a Paramilitary and Manix even though it masqueraded as a new incarnation of the Superhawk.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think that part of the issue is the very big lack of edge. It is a very comfortable handle, but for a large knife it has next to no edge. I think that if they totally removed the choil, it would be 100% better.
On the hunt for...
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Well both Supers have the same style of choil but this issue could also be addressed in a new version depending on blade style . I looked at the Superleaf as a Native5 on steroids with a different lock , do a side by side very similar . Regards MG2
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I think that part of the issue is the very big lack of edge. It is a very comfortable handle, but for a large knife it has next to no edge. I think that if they totally removed the choil, it would be 100% better.
It would be a larger Lil Temp2 :) . I'll sign that petition!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Blerv wrote:It would be a larger Lil Temp2 :) . I'll sign that petition!
It really would be...cool!
On the hunt for...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Big knife, not so big edge. Blame it on the choil if you want. Beyond that the biggest downer for me is being too similar to the Para 2. It may well be a beefier/stronger version of the Para 2 from a mechanical aspect, but i have yet to find the job that a Para 2 wasn't capable of handling in a folder vs. folder comparison. Now, if they brought one out with a wharnie blade, i would instantly buy one. Instantly. I'm sure the first argument would be "well it's just as much like a Yo 2 as the Superleaf is like a Para 2" which i would have to disagree with because the overall size of the Super platform is much larger than that of the Yo 2 and the ergonomics would be vastly different.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

I'd go for a Superdrop or Supercliffe! Awsome handle shape!
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Having a "shorter" edge is what I like about the knife. I believe its more controlling than a longer blade. I loved the Endura for some tasks but for most of my EDC needs the longer blade wasn't that helpful.