Farewell, U.S.S. Enterprise

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Water Bug

Farewell, U.S.S. Enterprise

Post by Water Bug »

Well, I knew this would happen upon her final deployment; however, it's sad just the same...

http://news.yahoo.com/uss-enterprise-ca ... 22506.html

The world's first nuclear powered aircraft carrier, U.S.S. Enterprise, is retired. :(

The Department of Defense and U.S. Navy certainly got their money's worth with this fine ship. Sad that Enterprise can't be preserved. This'll be the second U.S. aircraft carrier named Enterprise that won't be preserved.

Gotta say that the name, Enterprise, does seem to be bestowed upon those vessels that are the "first" of their kind.

Farewell, Enterprise! You served your country, your crew, and your name with honor!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

When will there be a U.S.S. Deathstar?
butch

Post by butch »

do we get one more boat before a starship
i was on the last cruise of the guam and the first of the baton
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I know she had to go eventually but I never like retiring large units needed for our defense before the replacement is ready.

I recall when 15 carrier battle groups with larger air wings was considered not nearly enough. I guess I'm just still stuck in the cold war but I always prefer going into any negotiations from a position of strength.

It's too easy to cut a ship due to budget problems when it doesn't exist yet. If we've got by with out it so far we must not need it. :(

I've seen some "studies" that recommended only 5 carriers with only 3 being active at any one time. Of course there are those that believe we should reduce our nuke levels to 300 or less.

I sure hate to think about people like that getting a chance to run our country.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

You guys get some fine sounding names hms Manchester doesn't quite live up to enterprise although she had a **** fine bullmastiff as the mascot.
It is always sad when they retire these behemoths without finding a home.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Wish this wasn't happening. :(
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

"...It's better than being named for a politician," said Larry Kosnopfal

Roger that!

I served on the Kitty Hawk, also retired. It gets me that all these great ships are being retired. And we are down to 10 active carriers?!

Thanks for the post.
EarthDog