What Spydies have you purchased upon learning of their discontinuation?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phaust

Post by phaust »

this year, I purchased a Zulu and big Lum Chinese. Neither in particular interested me before.

I have come to really like the Zulu, though. My hand just locks into the handle. The flat parts of the edge are at great angles relative the handle, and it seems very thin at the belly of the recurve.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I got another left-handed Military a couple weeks ago when knifecenter put it on disco-clearance. I'm pretty happy with the knife but sad to see it discontinued, here's to hoping it gets re-released with new handle and steel options.
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

got my fourth Zulu and XL Lum... also a Citadel Plain and a Citadel Spyderedge...
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:

Post by 1623 »

Picked up a Zulu...still debating on a Chokwe.

I have to humbly suggest that anyone who has considered buying a Large Lum Chinese at any point in time, order one post haste. It's a nice knife and a has such a beautiful VG10 blade.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Super Leaf for me. I took it on a 10-mile hike in the mountains with our Scout Troop today. Beautiful knife - but it feels like I'm carrying a Buick in my pocket. :cool:

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Breeden Rescue, PPT. Already received the Rescue. Solid. It's how I imagine the GB would feel, if not as fancy. Just ordered the PPT.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

1623 wrote:I have to humbly suggest that anyone who has considered buying a Large Lum Chinese at any point in time, order one post haste. It's a nice knife and a has such a beautiful VG10 blade.
+1
I got a spare one when I saw the Starmate pricing and thought that if they make another run of Lum's the price is going to rocket .... and then it gets disco'ed.

When the list came out, I ordered a Chokwe (still somewhere in the postal system).

Still on the fence on a PPT - weight is what's stopping me, that thing weighs more than a Manix!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I've never gotten a new spydie because they've been announced discontinued. But I have ordered 'spares' ;) , like the Stretch 2 in CF and the SE R2.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
thelock

Post by thelock »

Zulu
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Nothing this year, but in the past - Lava and Kopa black pearl/abalone
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I got a Large Persian 2 and a Zulu, considering getting a backup SuperLeaf. I love my Chokwe but not sure I need a backup of it at this point.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Slash

Post by Slash »

Zero, if I liked it I would have purchased it right off. Not because it's now discontinued.
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

I personally can't afford all the models I like. So the discontinued models at a discount helps a lot. Like I said in previous post. I only picked up a Breeden Rescue but would like a superleaf , zulu , chokwe. If I don't get them now I won't be searching them out later. I want to pickup a few of the newer models . Who knows . Some of them may have to wait til they are on the chopping block.

If I were to order the chokwe from CS I would talk to Jeff about the MSRP. It seems incorrect according to my 2011 retail price guide.

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

A Byrd starling.
Was not going to buy it then I saw that it was discontinued so I picked it up for $16
My :spyder: Endura 4 FFG Plain, Black in VG-10 had been my faithful EDC companion since 9/26/2012
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

As of last week, the Breeden Rescue. Absolutely love it! As many have mentioned, I too have kicked myself a 1,000 times for not snatching up the Captain when it was still available. :( I also definitely have my sights on the Leafstorm and possibly a Chokwe too.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
arty

Post by arty »

I picked up a small Persian II. I still regret not getting the original one with bolsters and Micarta.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This year only a large and small Persian2. The other knives that normally would be tempting fell into that "big n bulky" category which I'm carrying less of lately.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I had to jump on the CF UKPK a while back. That one came out of nowhere.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
eitenbuffalo34

Post by eitenbuffalo34 »

92mm Citadel
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:spyder:'s: Paramilitary 2 Satin Camo, Caly 3.5 Carbon Fiber, Translucent Blue Manix, Pacific Salt SE, Tenacious, and Paramilitary 2 M390 Blue
angusW

Post by angusW »

Finally got the Chokwe.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies