Thoughts on the SS Balance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fredswartz

Thoughts on the SS Balance

Post by fredswartz »

Love everything about this knife except for the size. It is more like a piece of jewelry than any Spyderco I own. Can't clip it into my watch pocket as my mini SAK rides there and I need the scissors and file of the SAK. Thought about removing the clip and carrying it on a chain around my neck. If it were twice it's size I would use it for an EDC. It has all the great features (frame lock etc.) but rather than lose it when I pull change from my pocket, I will probably put it back into it's box and into my gun safe.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Jerry,
There was talks about bigger Balance. I beleive that Mr. Schempp already made prototype. Just cannot remember the name.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

Equilibrium? :)
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

bh49 wrote:Jerry,
There was talks about bigger Balance. I beleive that Mr. Schempp already made prototype. Just cannot remember the name.
Yes, it's Equilibrium.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Wouldn't mind having a SS Balance to go with my CF one of these days....awesome knife!
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
BAL

Post by BAL »

The Equilibrium should be out in the new catalog. A bigger scaled Balance.
Should be interesting. I'd like to try one and see what I could do with it.
It has potential to be a great knife.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

BDNX wrote:Wouldn't mind having a SS Balance to go with my CF one of these days....awesome knife!
I don't know. The CF Balance is such a perfect little knife I'm not really wanting a SS model, but some folks like SS so...

Fred, I know what you mean. It "seems" really small. But the ergos (again CF can't speak to the SS) are so great. It does anything and everything I need a pocket knife to do. I was carrying Manixs, Caly 3.5s and GBs (recently) and thought I'd miss the size. I don't. The Balance is clipped RFP and is the only knife I've used in months (outside of he kitchen) I doubt it would be my 'if you ouldn't only own one...' knife. That would probaly be the M4 Manix. But that's planning for things I don't tend to do. ;) What I actually do, the Balance does perfectly.

Ken
玉鋼
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

fredswartz wrote:Love everything about this knife except for the size. It is more like a piece of jewelry than any Spyderco I own. Can't clip it into my watch pocket as my mini SAK rides there and I need the scissors and file of the SAK. Thought about removing the clip and carrying it on a chain around my neck. If it were twice it's size I would use it for an EDC. It has all the great features (frame lock etc.) but rather than lose it when I pull change from my pocket, I will probably put it back into it's box and into my gun safe.
Use it as a money clip. My standard money clip is my Spin with Natural G10 scale, but sometimes I rotate it out with CF Balance. Works well for that - sort of a dressy upgrade money clip with the CF scales.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

[quote="kbuzbee"]I don't know. The CF Balance is such a perfect little knife I'm not really wanting a SS model, but some folks like SS so...

Fred, I know what you mean. It "seems" really small. But the ergos (again CF can't speak to the SS) are so great. It does anything and everything I need a pocket knife to do. I was carrying Manixs, Caly 3.5s and GBs (recently) and thought I'd miss the size. I don't. The Balance is clipped RFP and is the only knife I've used in months (outside of he kitchen) I doubt it would be my 'if you ouldn't only own one...' knife. That would probaly be the M4 Manix. But that's planning for things I don't tend to do. ;) What I actually do, the Balance does pe
Ken[/

Oh, I agree. The CF Balance is perfect as is....but I'd still probably like to ha ve a SS as well...and I'm not a huge fan of SS handled knives....
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban