What Handle Materials do you like and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

kbrouwer wrote:I like FRN but i feel like it's missing something, I don't know what... for one thing... its not as strong.
Most handles are as strong as their liners. In an unlined situation FRN is very durable and elastic. Most blades would snap at the spine before the handle.
paladin

Post by paladin »

1. FRN is hard to beat for dirty, sweaty WORK
2. Stag or Brown / red jigged bone is great for classic old school BEAUTY
3. Having said that, at the moment I'm finding a good balance between utility & beauty is COLORFUL POLISHED & SCULPTED G10
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

kbrouwer wrote:I like FRN but i feel like it's missing something, I don't know what... for one thing... its not as strong.
Depends on how you define "strong". FRN is more flexible than G-10 or CF of equal thickness but, for that very reason, it will laugh off impacts that would shatter either one of them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I love peel ply carbon fiber, It feels great in the hand and it's beautifle to look at. My 2nd favorite would be titanium with a stone washed finish.
Third would be smooth G10, I love the wood grain look you get with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

For me the blade dictates the handle a mirror or stonewashed finished compliments a very rich wood burr like horse chestnut or amboyna .
A satin or black blade goes better with micarta or coloured g10 and IMO nobody does blades that suit coloured g10 better than spyderco although I don't mind admitting I don't like the spyderco logo to be on the handle for me it's a blade only aesthetic thing.

Edit spyderco are my favourite production company but again I have to admit frn really does nothing for me in the looks department .
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

When it comes to traditional knives, I like jigged bone handles. They don't work so well on things like the Delica, though. For more modern designs, and fixed blades, I really like Micarta and derivatives. My least favorites are Spyderco's peel-ply G-10 (Feels like holding a lump of concrete), and metal. FRN (Which I really like for a work knife), wood, stag, polished or other textured G-10 and others fall somewhere in the middle.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Overall mic arts is my favorite and it can work on folders, custom fixed blades and utility fixed blades.

I dont mind g10 and most of my folders are that way. I will buy frn folders but only for special purposes. And as for color most of mine are black but I do have brown and blue para2's, and I would like to have a green one and maybe something in maroon.

I have a lot of custom fixed blades and besides micarta they have stag and nice woods such as ironwood or some kind of burl.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

All depends on the blade. I love some woods, micarta, some patterns and color of jigged bone. Dreaming about Caly3 with Honey Amber stag bone scales.
Smooth G10 sculpted can be great for some knives as well.
Not a fan of FRN or metal scales, including Titanium. Taiwanese style CF is fine. CF on Dodo is OK too.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

Peel-ply carbon fiber for sure.

CF is more durable than G10 in my experience, and the peel-ply texture has a great look and even better feel. It exudes a high-grade quality, while still being rugged.

I hope to see a sprint PM2 with this handle material again someday (or new designs).

The woven CF on the Taichung knives is fine, but a significant step down from the peel-ply.
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

I know peel-ply is a fabric that is placed on composites during the molding process, but I don't know what "peel-ply" G10 or carbon fiber is.. Is the peel-ply left on?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Jeremy_A_Neel wrote:I know peel-ply is a fabric that is placed on composites during the molding process, but I don't know what "peel-ply" G10 or carbon fiber is.. Is the peel-ply left on?
Not exactly, at least not the way the term is used by knife folks. In our context peel-ply refers to the surface texture created by that fabric. Every G-10 Military, and almost every other model with G-10 scales that Spyderco has ever offered have peel-ply G-10 scales. Peel-ply CF is less common, but the S30V/CF and BG-42/CF Sprint versions of the Military and the CF Stretch used it and at least a couple other models/variants with CF scales may have used it as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

FRN, Micarta, and woods ( simple hardwoods like Oak, Walnut, etc.)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Blerv wrote:Most handles are as strong as their liners.
Blerv, you are absolutely correct. Once, a police officer and I had to perform a rescue and had to pop a small chain the process. My knife, without liners, simply flexed and did not break the chain. The police officer had a knife with liners and he popped the chain easily and we were able to do the rescue. I do not buy folding knives without stout liners since that day. Period.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Slash

Post by Slash »

Laminated cf...

I actually know what I'm buying and the related costs associated with them.

Edit: forgot to say why? Because, it cost less and looks kool.
v8r

Post by v8r »

My favorite is Micarta. The polished g10 on the Vollaton is right there at a close second. Next would be metal handles.

I guess I just enjoy less aggressive textures that don't chew my knuckles up when I reach in my pocket for keys.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Holland

Post by Holland »

my favourite is definitely peelply cf, light and sexy
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Titanium by far. I love everything from the color to the feel, the strength and the weight. If it comes in Ti handles I'm bound to want it.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I'll start with the least used:
Fixed blade (drop point hunter)............Canvas Micarta - It offers a slip proof grip in wet, bloody, fatty. (-)It stains easily.

Folders.........Textured G10, black. Yes, not exciting I know, I know, but it doesn't show dirt and much, use it hard and then scrub with a tooth brush you are done. It has a great grip by the way. It's a no fuss material.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Splice

Post by Splice »

My preference lately has become G10. It provides excellent strength and is overall far more rigid than FRN which inspires more confidence. Not that I'm putting that much stress on my knife anyway, but stout is stout. I also like how lightweight they are, allowing it to ride easily in the pocket.

I'm also VERY partial to carbon fiber, especially the textured twill weave Taiwan puts out. How can you not go for this?
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Carbon fiber, G10 , wood , bone , mop , micarta paper and linen and must have FRN. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford a blue stretch , or Schempp Rock. Someday a Warrior and other stretch variations. What is pretty cool , there is something for everyone's taste. Maybe not through Spyderco but your own customization or a professionals.

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!