Gayle Bradley Air - first impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Gayle Bradley Air - first impressions

Post by gbelleh »

Well, I just got my Air in the mail a little while ago, and this is definitely one of those knives in the "like it much more than expected" category for me. Once again, Taichung has built a beautiful knife with impeccable fit and finish, smooth functioning, and perfectly ground, razor sharp blade.

The scale material is interesting, with a nice shimmery silver weave, and also a translucent quality to it. The texture is very nice (especially compared to the slick, glossy CF). Also, this material doesn't seem to be prone to chipping or cracking around the screw holes. Another great scale material coming out of Taichung. With the twill CF and now this grippy glass fiber material, the Taichung made scales are an unmatched blend of looks and function.

The Air is feathery light in the hand, but solid and comfortable. It has a refined precision to it, and a very high quality feel.

I was a little disappointed to see no clip option, or even a lanyard hole on the Air. But, I discovered that the Kiwi pouch does fit (a little snug, but it seems to work well enough for now). Pocket carry is not my preferred method, so this will mainly be a home office knife for me. But, I can tell it will excel in that role.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Air, and I'll definitely be using it around the house. Thanks to Gayle Bradley, Spyderco, and the craftsmen in Taichung for another amazing piece of work. :D

:bug-red-white
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Definitely need to pick this model up :D
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Pretty sure this will be my next Spyderco. For such a small knife it fit my hand very well. That pouch looks nice as well.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Just to clarify... that is a Kiwi pouch. The Air doesn't come with a pouch.

But it shouldn't be too hard for anyone to find one that works.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

gbelleh wrote:I was a little disappointed to see no clip option, or even a lanyard hole on the Air.
There are options.... when you cross over to the dark side ;)

Ken
玉鋼
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I saw that. Looks good, but if I tried it, a broken scale would be the likely best case scenario.

I have enough Spydies that I can let this one be clipless. :)
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

It sure is a great little knife! Pushed the zdp ladybug out of my pocket for know.
Wyldey

Post by Wyldey »

It is a very nice piece, the CF is nice... My mind however keeps trying to imagine what it would look like with polished wood scales... Coco bolo, lignum vitae, even mother of pearl... Think CRK Mnandi with a polished blade that would be soo classy! Of course the price would go up... But what a beautiful knife that would be! Just some thoughts. :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Exotic wood scales would be interesting. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to make scales (for someone with skill). It would be nice to have different scales that could be swapped out. This knife is quite Mnandi-like.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Congrats!
kbuzbee, nice look on the patina. Looks like great work on the low rider clip. Is that wire under the G10? Clever!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
araneae

Post by araneae »

I handled one at NewGraham last week. A very well made piece, the action is so smooth it almost bit me closing it. Super nice, no clip is a deal breaker for me though.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

gull wing wrote:Is that wire under the G10? Clever!
Thanks.

Exactly that. Cut channels in the liners and just slightly notched the scale on the one side. It was plenty strong as it was but I added a drop of epoxy just for a bit of added strength. The design wasn't hard but there isn't a lot of real estate to work with. Would rather have put it on the pivot end but the cut out made that a non starter.

Ken
玉鋼
AlphaTang0

Post by AlphaTang0 »

Thanks for writeup and picture.
Love the sleekness of the knife, and wharncliffe blade, really considering getting it, just one thing, I've never had a knife with a handle less then 4", do you find the handle large enough to get a good grip?
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

kbuzbee wrote:There are options.... when you cross over to the dark side ;)

Ken
I have my blade soaking in some warm/hot vinegar as I type this. The blade had tuf glide on it and still managed to have surface rust appear after some use, and frequent carry.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

+1 on this review. I have been carrying one in the watch pocket of my jeans. Perfect fit for a perfect knife.

It has bumped my g10 dragonfly out for the time being
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I'm with you in the "like more than I thought" category. I wondered how the Air would fare compared with my red bone Kiwi. But the Kiwi has been a non-starter the past few weeks. The Air has become my favorite going out/dress knife. I really like the look and texture of the scale material and I don't mind that it's clipless since I think of it as a gentleman's pocket knife. I've never had a Wharncliff blade before but it's been great. Overall, I can't recommend the Air enough.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm still pushing for a leather pouch for the air...I love it a lot, great great knife, but it needs a pouch.
On the hunt for...
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

All finished with my vinegar etch and reprofile to 30 degrees inclusive. It was set at what seemed like 40+ when I received it and the cutting performance stunk; now at 30, with no micro bevel it slices like a dream.
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

Muriatic acid etch, also did the GB & PPT. Also re-profiled it as low as the WE could go, i think it's around 26-28 degrees inclusive.