The C-111 Captain: Useful Purposes?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The C-111 Captain: Useful Purposes?

Post by JD Spydo »

Since I've been back in the blade game one of the great Spyders I had sold but reaquired was the C-111 Captain model. There's just something about that blade that just intrigues me to no end. About 3 years ago when I had my first Captain model I used it to skin a deer with. Let me tell you it was like "un-zipping" a hoodie. The belly toward the end of the pendulum part of the blade is in constant slice mode and is ideal for such a job as field dressing and skinning a game animal.

But as popular as the Captain model is and as hard as it is to get one I know that knife has more uses. I don't think it's just the uniqueness alone that drives it's popularity. I've carried mine for self defense and it fits in my back pocket without a clip perfectly. But I know that this blade has uses and is good for other cutting jobs as well. So if all you Captain owners/users would chime in and tell us what you use yours for it will be greatly appreciated.

I've also discovered that it is very useful for controlled cutting to where you can actually cut a fairly straight line with it. I've also suspected that it could be a good woodworking tool as well. So tell us what you use yours for.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Once I can find one and give it some use I'll let you know...
On the hunt for...
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I found mine handy for push-cutting and shaving. I used it to shave some wood off of pinewood derby cars for my kids and to remove plastic tabs from molded parts (of models and such). For these tasks I used the end/tip of the blade.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Spriinnntttt! :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I came so close to buying a discontinued Captain back when they first went, but me and recurves don't get along sharpening wise.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Don't own one but I like the design very much. When the current Breeden is gone it will no doubt be missed. We don't know what we had until its gone. I need one.
The captain may serve more utility than most utility knives. Depending on your environment.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

This thread needs some pics. Anyone?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JCP1969 wrote:Don't own one but I like the design very much. When the current Breeden is gone it will no doubt be missed. We don't know what we had until its gone. I need one.
The captain may serve more utility than most utility knives. Depending on your environment.
Just like that old Joni Mitchell song I forget the title but she said just that "You Don't Know You Got Till It's Gone" "then they paved paradise and put up a parking lot"

But that song always spoke volumes to me for a lot of reasons. I haven't yet gotten my hands on one of Jason Breeden's RESCUE models but I fully intend to. I really wish Mr. Breeden himself would chime in and tell us what he was thinking about when he designed the Captain and this Rescue model of his that doesn't seem like your normal Rescue Knife.

Yeah Brother I also feel like the Captain could have some great utility purposes and I'm hoping that more will tell us what they use it for. The end of the blade ( the pendulum part) looks to me like it might be ideal for something but I'm not sure what exactly.

I've had some knowledgable people here recently tell me that it has drawbacks for self defense use but I still say it could be potentially dangerous for someone on the recieving end. I love the full hollow grind on all the cutting edges.
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I didn't know about those when they were around so I never laid my hands on one :(

The only thing I don't like is the liner lock; Seriously, Spyderco should re-issue it, at least temporarily, with a regular locking mechanism.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Blerv wrote:Spriinnntttt! :D
A Captain, with a dark green or dark brown G-10 handle, and with a new steel. Super blue could work, but the Captain screams something hard use, such as CPM-M4 or CPM154 CPM3V would be nice too. CTS-XHP, 204P (from what I've read on it seems like it'd be awesome), or M390. Pity that unless it was made in Golden, it'd have to have a Japanese steel. VG-10 is an amazing steel, but an upgraded steel would be awesome as well :D
DeathBySnooSnoo

Spidey wrote:I didn't know about those when they were around so I never laid my hands on one :(

The only thing I don't like is the liner lock; Seriously, Spyderco should re-issue it, at least temporarily, with a regular locking mechanism.
How is a liner lock not a regular locking mechanism?
On the hunt for...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Blerv wrote:Spriinnntttt! :D
Count me in! Unless it is with some bright colour or something...then I would be out. But a nice super dark green or navy would be ok. Love to see it in M4. Be happy with XHP.
On the hunt for...
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I was lucky to pick one up a year or two ago at a very reasonable price :) To this day I haven't been able to understand why I'm so amazed by the bladeshape, it's just wicked. If you want such a grind on you Strider you must spend $1000 :D

I've used it to open some boxes and that worked fine but for the rest it hasn't seen any usage.

Some pictures to tease those who missed out on it, my your Sprint prayers be heard by the all mighty Sal :)

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

KardinalSyn wrote:This thread needs some pics. Anyone?
Hmm, let me scour my hard drive:

It makes a good mushrooming knife:

Not bad for bunnies but I prefer a pointier tip game:

I like its chunky feel and the blade shape has some benefits (the recurve helps when cutting cord/bramble). Personally, although I quite like it, the blade shape closes more doors than it opens. I'd prefer it with a more conventional shape. But then, it wouldn't be what it is, and we probably wouldn't be discussing it.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Hay there JD,yeah I always wondered how well it would do skinning a deer,I often thought of trying it,but never got around to trying it.I`m glad that you can find so many good uses for it,enjoy it my friend. :)
DeathBySnooSnoo

**** you all for teasing me so much!!
On the hunt for...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Cleaning game is what i would picture this knife doing better than probably anything else. The recurve seems great for pull cuts/gutting (though probably not as good as a proper gut hook) and that tip no doubt skins like a champ.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Bon Appetite!! Martha Stewart in XHP

Post by JD Spydo »

Invective wrote:A Captain, with a dark green or dark brown G-10 handle, and with a new steel. Super blue could work, but the Captain screams something hard use, such as CPM-M4 or CPM154 CPM3V would be nice too. CTS-XHP, 204P (from what I've read on it seems like it'd be awesome), or M390. Pity that unless it was made in Golden, it'd have to have a Japanese steel. VG-10 is an amazing steel, but an upgraded steel would be awesome as well :D
BROTHER!! you struck a good nerve there to be sure >> I've just gotten to play with my XHP Military model a bit and I love that steel. If they made the Captain with either CPM D-2 or CTS-XHP I would have to get 2 of them. A Christmas git set of the Harpy and the Captain both with XHP. Well it's a good dream anyway and one worth considering.

And to Brother Xavierdoc>> I love rabbit>> I used to hunt rabbits a lot and love to fix them on an open grill. I also like to fry them in olive oil and onions along with a shot of red wine. Martha Stewart never had food that good I can tell you. I bet the Captain was a helluva "RABBIT SKINNER"

Also I bet it's great to cut tenderloins from a young deer. And I also bet it's a great knife to carve roast beef brisket.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Doc... I can't believe your wife lets out skin game in your house. My wife would have a heart attack. ;) my wife grew up with a hunting family but I still have trouble getting the game in the house even after its cooked. :D
Invective

Post by Invective »

JD Spydo wrote:BROTHER!! you struck a good nerve there to be sure >> I've just gotten to play with my XHP Military model a bit and I love that steel. If they made the Captain with either CPM D-2 or CTS-XHP I would have to get 2 of them. A Christmas git set of the Harpy and the Captain both with XHP. Well it's a good dream anyway and one worth considering.

If you're gonna dream, might as well dream big :P
I have a Techno and have fallen in love with XHP :D
JD Spydo wrote: I also like to fry them in olive oil and onions along with a shot of red wine.
I read that as "fry them alive" and my eyes became as big as plates lol