N5 - Just wanted to say something nice!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Skywalker

N5 - Just wanted to say something nice!

Post by Skywalker »

So I just got my first Native in the mail today, and currently the only lockback that I own. I had picked up a 3" folder from another company some months ago, and have enjoyed having the option to carry a smaller knife quite a bit in that time (I usually have a PM2 or BM 730, or Millie/710 if I know I won't be around people bothered by something of that size). I decided I needed to get a Spyderco of similar size (after the Millie and PM2, my next size down is a Ladybug).

So I started looking through the Spyderco catalog for something of that size. I didn't want pinned construction, prefer G10 to FRN, needed it to be LH-friendly, and wanted to feel comfortable actually using it. In other words, it was pretty close between the Sage I, III, and Native 5. :D

It seems like everyone and their little brother has a Sage I ( :p ), and I've got no experience with the bolt lock on the III, so I went with the Native.

I have to say - this thing is pretty awesome. It feels very, very well built and very solid, and I love the way it fits my hand with that choil. The backlock feels great, and the way the locking bar and backspacer are almost indistinguishable from the liners is really cool. The backspacer/liner meeting looks like one single piece of metal, with the spacer perhaps just a touch darker. I think it's going to be seeing a lot of carry time.

IMO, Spyderco and Golden knocked it out of the park with this one, and I'm very impressed. So thanks for making such an awesome little knife!

And I'm sure everyone knows what it looks like, but have a few pics anyway. :)

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great stuff :) . Thanks for your thoughts on it!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Nice pics :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Great pics and great review.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
apnk

Post by apnk »

Looks great man!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Pretty!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thanks for sharing. Nice pics too.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Great looking knife it's for me a similar thing to food when we crave something new in knives/locks in that in using or tasting different things we realise what works for us.
So far I'm the kid that will only eat burger and fries (liner and axis) for me I haven't developed my palate for lockbacks I have had a Santa Fe delica but didn't get on with it.
But everybody loves a burger right ? ;)
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Bladekeeper wrote:Great looking knife it's for me a similar thing to food when we crave something new in knives/locks in that in using or tasting different things we realise what works for us.
So far I'm the kid that will only eat burger and fries (liner and axis) for me I haven't developed my palate for lockbacks I have had a Santa Fe delica but didn't get on with it.
But everybody loves a burger right ? ;)
Bk, I know what you mean about finding something you like and sticking with it... but honestly, this thing is just solid and smooth all around. I used to have an Endura and a Caly3 CF, and while they were both good, (Endura was my first :spyder :) , they both got let go while my compression, liner, and axis stuck around. This Native just works.

If you try it out, I think you might find it the perfect milkshake to complement your burger and fries. ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Skywalker,

Thanx much for the kind word and great pics.

Hi Apnk,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Skywalker,
I am glad that you like the knife it is one of my favorites. Ergos and blade geometry are fantastic.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dman62

Post by dman62 »

I need one of those. Ok I don't need one I want one. Thanks for the review.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Now you put it like that I do like a good shake ;) there are so many different offerings from spyderco and this is great part of why there are so many fans I will give the different options a try definitely but before that there are still some classics need ticking off thnx bud.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Great choice and great pictures! It looks like that might be the forum knife too! Welcome.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

Hmmm... gotta say... the N5 is slowly scaling my likability wall. Might have to have one of these eventually... maybe. :)
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I broke down and got one this past year at the recommendation of a couple of Forumites. I carried it for a couple of weeks and got to really like it.

But then I got on another serious re-scaling binge :rolleyes: and put some orange G-10 scales on it. What a great knife.

TedP
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I've stayed far away from lock backs for a long time. How hard is it to close one of these with one hand?
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

bdblue wrote:I've stayed far away from lock backs for a long time. How hard is it to close one of these with one hand?
Simplicity itself.

That is to say, if you can close other lock backs one-handed, the Native 5 should not cause you any trouble.
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

as I said om my own post on the N5, a fantastic little blade. I feel like I'Ve finally found the tough little urban edc I've been looking for.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
sal

Post by sal »

Nicely done Ted.

sal