Favorite byrd knife

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

bdblue: Thanks for the pic of the byrd hawkbill! I haven't really paid it much attention, but that isn't a bad little knife for such a low price. I'm going to have to go check it out!
I really like my Meadowlark 2 that I often carry for EDC when I am going to use a knife that could get dinged up. It has never let me down and is a very good design. I love how sharp it gets and is an awesome slicer!
It may not be quite up to the fit and finish of the higher end spydies, but is still a great knife for an amazing price!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Meadowlark Rescue PE, because it could be made into a wharncliffe.

- best wishes, Jazz.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

bdblue,
Excellent choice! as a fool who made the mistake of thumbing for a choil on my SE Merlin around a decade ago and finding naught but the unforgiving, unyielding, and out-for-blood serrations - trying to cut some zip ties under my jeep, you are getting the secretly improved model in my very personal opinion. I love my Spyderhawk SE Salt and hope to collect all hawkbill models - the Byrd Hawkbill packs a real punch at a price point that is perilous to pursue (forgive the alliteration). I've handled an all-SS Cara Cara as well, stout solid knife, a G10 Robin (looks and feels like a hundred dollar knife, IMO), the light but catchy Aluminum Crow I got on a closeout and was more lightly built than a Spydie but still 100% flawless in performance. It's just hard to go wrong with any of them and this is by design.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
canivete

Post by canivete »

The Meadowlark is my edc, even after I broke the tip ... er... prying. I just reground it and back to my pocket it is.

Actually, I prefer the Robin but my wife too... Then, I carry the Meadowlark. ;-)
SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Definitely the Tern because it doesn't lock which means it's legal here :-)
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
WxGuyGrant

Post by WxGuyGrant »

When I worked as a delivery driver, the Robin2 was frequently in my pocket. For cutting boxes and adhesive crap all day, it was the perfect little knife. Easily cleaned up and easily resharpened after a day of dealing with cardboard. One of my co-workers was carrying some generic Chinese made knife you can buy from a flea market so I bought him a Crow and he loves it. Now that I'm back on a college campus, the Tern is an awesome knife for deep pocket carry and the less threatening slip-joint.
jeff_C

Post by jeff_C »

Meadowlark... I have one in G10 and Stainless Steel.
JLS

Post by JLS »

Jazz wrote:The Meadowlark Rescue PE, because it could be made into a wharncliffe.

- best wishes, Jazz.
I'd have to agree with this. The CaraCara PE Rescues I had we're given a similar treatment. I only have one left for myself; the rest were given as gifts. I can only hope they make PE rescues in the "2" trim in the future. The old ones are hard to find at any price nowadays.

The G-10 Crossbill is another great knife, though I wish it had a 4-way clip instead of the L/R tip up.

I picked up a CaraCara 2 FRN a little while back and it's a great knife by itself. I think the byrd lineup is even more impressive given the price. Given the quality and price of the various byrds I've owned, I personally would prefer them over the Tenacious family for my money. And I say that while owning 5 byrds and a Persistence, Tenacious and Resilience.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Byrd wings. This has to be one of the best tool box/belt knives ever. VERY sturdy, plain and serrated edges. No combo, two blades with it's own liner lock. Comes with sheath. Easily cleaned. I like it.

BTW, that Harrier is a beautiful knife.
Paradiggum

Post by Paradiggum »

I didn't realize how many Byrd knives I have and have given away as gifts until thinking about it because of this thread. I'll have to say my favorite is likely the Meadowlark 2 with the FRN handle. Not much of a surprise since the Delica was my EDC for well over a dozen years.
spydie fanatic

Post by spydie fanatic »

I would have to say the tern. I was reluctant to try the lower-end spydies, but the byrds and spyderco ambitious, tenacious, etc are great value folders; I'm sure they have to be money makers since alot of people don't want to spend BIG money like some of us knife knuts.

"To Care for Those Who Shall Have Borne the Battle..." Abraham Lincoln

Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex :)
wings400

Post by wings400 »

The meadowlark 2 is awsome. I am carrying it for 6 months now and I am still loving it!

http://db.tt/qW8ERaVL
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I'm rocking the cardboard chainsaw know as the "hawkbill". I have been for the last 6 months. This thing kicked my Delica out of the nest.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

Byrd Finch.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I also have a Firebyrd - the blade is really secondary on this design - it works fine but is a little short. Makes an excellent general purpose camp or party tool as the lighter use is great and the bottle opener is as good as anything handheld I have ever used. It's also one solid chunk of steel and I'm certain I could hammer nails in or perform similar tasks if I had to. Also would work as a "roll of nickels" curled up in the fist if i had a really pressing reason to punch someone.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
galv0nix

Post by galv0nix »

My favorite is the Cara Cara 2. I think for the money, you can't beat this knife. I plan on purchasing more Byrd knives.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I love the byrd Hawkbill....gave my se version to a friend at work...but would love to get another in pe. Also like to try out the Tern...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
porta

Post by porta »

Another vote for the Hawkbill. I'm torn between the smaller FRN and the larger G10 but both get used way beyond what a pocket knife is for and hold up really well.
bartvdb

Post by bartvdb »

crow = for the "dirty "work
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The Wings Slipit is my favorite by far. Runners up: The Meadowlark Hawkbill is pretty nice too, but I like its Tasman cousin better. The old G-10 Crossbill, though... that knife is why I didn't get a Superhawk. The Flight frame needs a better clip, but otherwise it's a great package.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.