Native5 or Para-Military2 for EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

Can someone post a side by side pic of the PM2 and Native 5? I dont have the Native 5 but I dont think that are that much smaller than the PM2 as some say. The PM2 has a longer handle but the blade size is very close.

If the steels are the same it could be a tough.

I like the looks of the PM2 and the ergos so that one would get my vote. I also like that it is open on the back so you can clean/blow it out with ease. :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm kind of biased because I have quite a few Paramilitaries. I think they are some of the finest production knives I've ever owned/used in my life. A modified 20CP sprint model is my main EDC knife and sees a lot of daily usage. To me, it is a perfect size for carrying clipped in jeans pockets.

TedP
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

I think the para 2 is about as good as you can get for an all around knife.
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

I do not own a Native 5, but what I can tell you is that I own 90+ Spydies right now and I have owned much more over the years, and that darn Para2 has kind of stalled my Spydie collecting habit quite a bit - just because it was THAT good. For me, it is the one knife I would keep if I would have to sell all my other knives (what would kill me though), even the Stretch (which was SO close to being THE ONE) and all of the Enduras/Delicas would have to go before I'd sell my Para2's; and, well, the CR Sebenza is a great knife, but it would be sold before the Para2 (which makes perfect sense, because I could get quite a few bucks for it, and that's the only reason to sell any of my knives anway ;) ).

That said, buy the Native 5 first :D :D
That way, there's room for more Spydies in your heart and showcase, and the Para 2 will come soon enough. What fun would knife collecting be if you'd reach the goal of owning your "perfect EDC knife" too soon?

cheers
Dennis
Let Us Slay !

Post by Let Us Slay ! »

I've always been interested in the native but was put off by the FRN. The recent native V piqued my interest but the fluted Ti variant is just to **** good looking I am going to have to wait for it. Any word on when it'll be out ?
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Win-win with that choice. Both sweet knives. If I had to make a choice I'd go with the Para2 with an STR pocket clip. Esp. since you have a Delica already. Get a little bigger blade.
dub

Post by dub »

Hi guys,

I decided to get both and here are my impressions so far. No use yet, no cutting, just held them and played with the locks.

Native5: First thought, built like a tank. Amazing quality and feels like it could handle anything. Even Zeus throwing a lightning bolt at it or Thor wrecking it with his hammer. This thing feels amazingly tough. I'll be honest, at first it didn't seem to fit that great on my hands. Not sure what was up but after holding it for a little longer, it felt great. Great ergos and feel. Lockup was nice and tight with no blade play. Sound of the lockup was great as well.

PM2: Wow. Enough said. It looked huge upon opening the box but after holding it, it just felt right. Compression lock is absolutely amazing. Sorry Benchmade, I love you and your AxisLock but this now my favorite locking system. The sound, lockup and everything just made me feel like a little kid on Christmas morning getting a PlayStation again. Amazing. It looks and feels like it can handle anything as well. Makes me feel confident that I can bring it everywhere and it'll handle it. Even **** and back.

All in all, I'm happy with both and I'm for sure keeping both. Now, which one to EDC. I might go with the Native5, purely only on it being smaller in size. I love the size of it and it's built like a freakin' tank. I feel like it will feel better in the pocket. If the PM2 was just a little bit smaller, it would probably grace my pocket in a heartbeat. But with that being said, it sounds like I should carry the PM2 anyways...choices...what have I done to myself?!
dub

Post by dub »

Hey guys, just a quick update.

Sorry to all the PM2 fans but I'll have to go with the Native5 on this one. AMAZING, AMAZING knife. Quality is top notch. So far, my favorite knife. Ever. Perfect size and feel for my hands. Simply perfect. I love the click of the lock and love the sound when folded. Everything about this knife. I must of gripped each one a million times and the N5 continues to amaze me. Like I said, I must of not gripped it wrong or something out of the box. It feels too prefect right now.

After handling it, it is amazingly perfect. Everything. From the feel of the blade, the feel of the handle and the top notch quality make this blade perfect. It is simply the perfect size for me. It just FEELS right in my hand.

Only complaint is I only have 1. I am extremely looking forward to any sprint runs this could and hopefully will have. Any news on that by chance? Also, is there a newsletter or anything I could get on on when to notify me of such historic events?

Native5, I love you. You're the most amazing knife to grace my presence :P
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I love your choice and I hope that you will not be disapointed after cutting. Keep in the mind that even after S35V will loose initial razor sharpness, it will still cut like crazy. Just do not let it too dull or you will spend a lot of time with stones.
Unfortunately there is no any confirmed sprint runs or dealers exclusives for Native :( , which make me very sad. I would love to see Native5 receiving the same treatment like Para2 and I will buy most of them.
Enjoy the knife, cut something.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BAL

Post by BAL »

As far as I know, there are no laws against carrying more than one knife at a time.
I alwayd have more than one, at least 3. One for what most would call edc, but one
for rough work that I don't want to abuse my main EDC and I always carry a dedicated
SD knife that I never use for cutting. just me, though.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

It's funny you talk about not liking the ergos at first and then seeing the transformation to absolutely loving the knife. I went through the same experience with my first spyderco, the Stretch. Got it out of the box and thought "no, it's too small, it's too awkward, I should've gotten an Endura." But with time I've really come to appreciate the design and how it fits in my hands. Also the choil, while not as massive as that of the Native, is very useful and I always look for a choil now.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Having owned both the earlier S30v FRN Native and the PM2, I would choose the PM2 hands down over the Native for EDC. It is narrower in the pocket, and I personally find the ergos to be superior.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Glad to hear you like the Native 5. I owned a Para2, and though I think it's a well built knife, there were a couple of aesthetic issues that made me decide to sell it off. I mainly dislike how far back from the kick the edge starts, and for me, it's too big for my daily usage. Other than that, it was a perfect knife. I could actually see myself maybe changing my mind and getting another one later on down the road, but for right now, I'm holding out for the FFG FRN Native.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
angusW

Post by angusW »

Native 5 on the list to get. I've never held one before so it's good to see someone else liking the ergo's of it. The only Native I've owned is the 2009 and if it wasn't for the fact that it's THE forum knife then I would have used it a lot more than cutting a few pieces of paper as it's a good fit in the hand.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies