C22 Walker/Klotzli Genome Project

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Appler

Post by Appler »

Folks,

I'm interested in a little genome project for the original Swiss-made C22 Walker. There are several variants, but it's really hard to determine from the archives and Wiki all of the total combinations and which variant came when.

So, owners, if you have a minute could you let us know the serial#, shiny/matte for the scales, bug/no bug on clip, the order of the engraving on the clip starting at the pivot end, and what the blade engraving says?

For mine:
Shiny scales
Clip has “US PATENT 6347665 FOREIGN PATS PEND” at pivot end, then “SWISSMADE”, no bug
Blade has oval “Spyderco-Walker-Klotzli” with “SWISS MADE ATS-34”

Thanks in advance for your help!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Matte CF scales
Blade is part serrated
Clip has “US PATENT 6347665 FOREIGN PATS PEND” at pivot end, then “SWISSMADE”, no bug
Blade has oval:
Spyderco
Swiss Made
ATS-34
Walker
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Appler

Post by Appler »

Thanks, Deacon. Did you have two at one time? I have a picture from god-knows-when/where of #580 on a cork background next to another one with glossy scales and no KLOTZLI on the blade. I can't make out the number on the second one, but it sorta looks like #1543?

#087 that is on ebay right now appears to have the same specs a mine.

#1552 (also on ebay) looks to have a glossy cf finish (though it is tough to be certain), blade markings with only SPYDERCO WALKER SWISS MADE ATS-34 (no KLOTZLI), and the bug on the clip

#1724 (also on...wait for it...ebay!) claims as well to have glossy scales and has the blade mark without KLOTZLI, but you can't tell anything else.

#1541 in an old picture I have shows the blade marking without KLOTZLI, glossy scales and a clip with the bug.

#014 and #1734 are shown together in an old picture I have. #014 has the KLOTZLI on the blade and glossy scales, #1734 has glossy scales and is missing the KLOTZLI on the blade. (no shots of the clip-side)

I'm curious if there is any relationship between the number on the blade and the various handle configurations. Microtech has always had a habit of making and numbering a huge batch of blades all at once, and then installing them in knives rather randomly. If Spyderco had the blades made in the US (as one old thread indicates), is there any reason to believe they were kept in any type of order when they were installed into the handles? The numbers for the glossy handles are all over the place.
Appler

Post by Appler »

Forgot to add that all the ones posted so far appear to be plainedge except for Deacon's #580 that is combo-edged. Makes me wonder how many P/S ones were made...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Yes, I sold that one a while back, but here's the info on it:
Shiny CF scales
Blade is plain edge
Clip has a gold :spyder: at the pivot end, then “US PATENT 6347665 FOREIGN PATS PEND”, then “SWISSMADE”
Blade has oval:
Spyderco
Swiss Made
ATS-34
Walker

Agree that the numbering and handle finish don't appear to follow any observable pattern. Which I why I've found the information provided by Mr. Klotzli to Spydiewiki puzzling. I'd never expect any numbering to reflect exact production order but, from a purely logical standpoint, there should be a correlation between numbers and batches of knives. That is to say that the numbers within a given batch should be sequential, and the numbering of each subsequent batch should pick up the sequence where the previous one left off. It's just the simplest way to keep track of which numbers have been used and which are still available.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Appler

Post by Appler »

Interestingly, it appears that there are at least three different clip variations. If one were to open the knife and hold it out in front of you with the edge down, the clip will either have SWISSMADE and the Patent info "upside down" (as it is on my knife), that information will be "rightside up" (i.e., you can read it normally with the knife held in this position), or the clip will have the bug on it with the writing "rightside up." So from now on I'll also try to include which way the writing goes when I list the clip info.

I did a quick image search and came up with the following:

#428 (on sale now at AG Russel's Cutting Edge) -- no Klotzli on the blade, matte scales, combo edge, and the clip isn;t visible in their one pic

#1371 -- No Klotzli on the blade, glossy scales, bug on the clip, plain edge

#1701 -- no Klotzli on the blade, glossy scales, bug on the clip, plain edge

#210 -- Klotzli name is on the blade, glossy scales, plain edge, and clip engraving is "upside down" with no bug.

#478 -- no Klotzli on the blade, matte scales, combo edge, clip not visible in the pic I found

#758 -- no Klotzli on the blade, matte scales, plain edge, clip letter is "rightside up" but no bug

There are lots more shots of this knife, but it's amazing how many on which I cannot make out the serial number. I'm wondring if the rarest variation may turn out to be the ones with the clip writing "right side up", but no bug.
Appler

Post by Appler »

#1591 -- no Klotzli on blade, glossy scales, combo edge, bug on clip, clip engraving "rightside up",
R@y

Post by R@y »

Matte scales
Bug/Swissmade/US patent on clip
Plain edge

Image Image

You're welcome :)
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

Dang...one of the original "unobtainium" Spydies...
Appler

Post by Appler »

Thanks, R@y. If you get a moment, can you edit your post and tell us whether the engraving on the clip (with the blade open and edge facing down) is "rightside up" or "upside down"?

Thanks, man.
R@y

Post by R@y »

Done. Is it glossy? Maybe I'm wrong...
Appler

Post by Appler »

Thanks, [email]R@y...so[/email] rightside up engraving on the clip. Looks matte to me. She's a beauty. Hard to say for sure at this point, but I feel like there could be more combo-edge matte handles than plainedge matte.
Appler

Post by Appler »

#1140 -- no Klotzli on blade, matte scales, combo edge ...no other info because only one side of knife showing. For sale over at BF.

#1156 -- no Klotzli on blade, matte scales, combo edge, bug on clip, clip engraving right-side-up. For sale at Arizona Custom Knives.
Appler

Post by Appler »

#1651 -- no Klotzli on blade, glossy scales, plainedge, no bug on clip, clip engraving right-side-up. On Fleabay.
Senate

Post by Senate »

interesting project!
here are my two:

Shiny scales
Clip has “US PATENT 6347665 FOREIGN PATS PEND” at pivot end, then “SWISSMADE”, no bug, upside down
Blade has oval “Spyderco-Walker-Klotzli” with “SWISS MADE ATS-34”

matte scales
Clip has “US PATENT 4347665 FOREIGN PATS PEND” at pivot end, then “SWISSMADE”, gold bug
Blade has “Spyderco-Walker” with “SWISS MADE ATS-34”

i'll try to digg up infos on a third one that has been stolen in the mail on its way to me...
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I have number 1107 no Klotzli on blade, matte scales, combo edge, bug on clip, clip engraving right-side-up. Just like #1156 for sale at Arizona Custom Knives.

+1
interesting project!
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I missed the boat on the original when it came out (been kicking myself ever since) and have handled quite a few over the years. Question for you all -

Were all the CF Klotzli Walkers made with the same type of scale material? I have seen both the matte and polished versions depicted on this thread - but I've also seen a matte version which appears to have some sort of metallic threads woven into the CF. It isn't Lightning Strike, but it gives the scales some additional depth. I don't think it was an aftermarket mod since I've seen this on at least two specimens - one in person, one in photos. To be honest, I'd written it off as a "trick of the light", but wanted to confirm that... Thoughts?

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Appler

Post by Appler »

Senate and Pine, thanks for contributing and I love seeing #1369 getting actual pocket time! I carry my #213, but it's not as well-loved as yours.

Senate, I actually have #014 listed already in Post #3. I have a picture of it from some corner of the Internet with #1734 on a white background. Is it your picture? What happened #1734?

When I get enough entries in this thread, I'll put 'em into a spreadsheet so we can start to get an idea of the relative a numbers of each particular combination.

Phillipsted, I know the phenomenon you are talking about. I've held at least 30 different specimens (I used to manage a cutlery shop) and believe it has more to do with the lighting on the gloss scales than a difference in materials. You can even see it a bit in Senate's pics.

As far as I know, this is the only Spyderco made in significant numbers where all of them were numbered and where there are significant variations. I don't think you can do this type of project with any of the others. I'm really interested in where all of these little guys went over the years.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Good to see a worn one Alex. I only have the ZDP version, but it is a wonderful design that cuts way above it's size :D
Senate

Post by Senate »

Appler wrote:Senate and Pine, thanks for contributing and I love seeing #1369 getting actual pocket time! I carry my #213, but it's not as well-loved as yours.

Senate, I actually have #014 listed already in Post #3. I have a picture of it from some corner of the Internet with #1734 on a white background. Is it your picture? What happened #1734?
it was easy to put #1369 to work because i bought it used :D
otherwise i'm not sure it would have happened...

i think i know the picture you're refering to.
in fact i found the thread:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... don-t-look!
they were from Ted who got the 2 Walkers on loan for pictures from the gentleman i bought it from.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978