Deleted the Tuff thread, have a good one yall.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Post by Donut »

RIP, Tuff thread.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Donut wrote:RIP, Tuff thread.
The sad thing is amidst the immaturity Sal and Ed had a ton of great insight and respectful dialogue. Ed even asked DC to send in the knife for his personal review and offered to send something in the mail as a "thank you".

I feel bad for DC but don't know it was the best response. Another Tuff thread popped up so its prob not a publicity dream.

Edit: spelling
nullity

Post by nullity »

Blerv wrote:The sad thing is amidst the immaturity Sal and Ed had a ton of great insight and respectful dialogue. Ed even asked DC to send in the knife for his personal review and offered to send something in the mail as a "thank you".

I feel bad for DC but don't knowing it was the best response. Another Tuff thread popped up so its prob not a publicity dream.
I see you have no respect for the posts about Unicorns in that thread. :p

but seriously, there were some great, heartfelt posts that will be missed.
One example is Sal saying he "loses sleep" over threads like that. That will stick with me.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Drama
Attachments
5483Lighten-Up-Francis.jpeg
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Now this is a good post. Made my day bro!
Halfneck wrote:Drama
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I've been a member for a long time and quite active in the past. Now I mostly pop in once and a while. The tone of the forum has changed for sure and not for the better IMHO. I've read both this thread and the original one, the maturity level shown in both the original and this thread is shamefully low. Most the poster have to grow up and quit fighting like a bunch of kids. We are discussing knives here, it really shouldn't be such a heated topic. I know that neither of these threads follow the spirit that Sal and company envisioned for this forum. Whatever happen to shiny footprints?
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

where was the heat you speak of. I honestly didn't see it. I suppose we should elect a diplomat of the forum to speak in one voice to questions like DC posted. I guess it only really required 1 answer. Sorry to hear sir your knife had a problem. You should send it back to Spyderco . You may want to call first. This has been a recording. There is nothing else I can add on behalf off the forum. Opinions unless totally uncritical or questionable not welcome.

This isn't to say I don't believe in shiny foot prints they do exist. It just isn't possible or healthy in my opinion to constantly bite your tongue.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

I'm pretty new round here so I won't pretend to know what things "used to be like" but I am not new to foruming by any stretch. I thought the response and attention gained by the original thread was directly in-line with the way DC wrote it, cause and effect simple as that.

There are threads posted here at least weekly where people have problems with their knives, they are usually written in a calm, objective and informative way which get replies in a similar manner.

I think people should feel free to raise concerns or problems but I think they should be considerate about possible repercussions of what they write and that spyderco W&R should be the first point of call with serious issues, especially when the poster is clearly able to identify as such.

It's sad it has come to this but if anything my previous feelings have only been affirmed. Bon Voyage DC and keep safe, no need for bitterness.
I see, said the blind man.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I think DC made some really cool customizations. It seems like there may have been a tougher locking mechanism for the Tuff. It seems like antagonism met with fervent reaction to make a veritable soup of negativity, and nobody benefits from that.

I am really surprised that DC didn't approach W&R before disparaging the knife and subsequently the company that produced it's marketing, especially with how long he's been a strong contributor to this forum and customization.

Overall, this could have been dealt with better by the forum and the OP. Sadly, Sal and Ed don't come out of a mudbath like this clean either, even if they have wonderful intentions. Invention and innovation are rarely clean stomping grounds, but that doesn't mean people should chuck verbal mud either. Chuck enough mud at a wall and something's sure to stick.

I learned that shall I design a spyderco, I will want to name it something that is not a synonym for strong or tough.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

FLYBYU44 wrote:I've been a member for a long time and quite active in the past. Now I mostly pop in once and a while. The tone of the forum has changed for sure and not for the better IMHO. I've read both this thread and the original one, the maturity level shown in both the original and this thread is shamefully low. Most the poster have to grow up and quit fighting like a bunch of kids. We are discussing knives here, it really shouldn't be such a heated topic. I know that neither of these threads follow the spirit that Sal and company envisioned for this forum. Whatever happen to shiny footprints?

Same with me, Lately I just tend to pop in and out,read on news, etc. It is a shame. I read the original thread when it was still a 3 pager. It baffled me a bit to say the least. But thats that/done.
SolidState wrote:I think DC made some really cool customizations. It seems like there may have been a tougher locking mechanism for the Tuff. It seems like antagonism met with fervent reaction to make a veritable soup of negativity, and nobody benefits from that.

I am really surprised that DC didn't approach W&R before disparaging the knife and subsequently the company that produced it's marketing, especially with how long he's been a strong contributor to this forum and customization.

Overall, this could have been dealt with better by the forum and the OP. Sadly, Sal and Ed don't come out of a mudbath like this clean either, even if they have wonderful intentions. Invention and innovation are rarely clean stomping grounds, but that doesn't mean people should chuck verbal mud either. Chuck enough mud at a wall and something's sure to stick.

I learned that shall I design a spyderco, I will want to name it something that is not a synonym for strong or tough.
+1

It is a shame your leaving, good luck in whatever you do!
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

What amazes me is after all the pleading from mr. Glesser & mr. Schempp the knife still has not been sent in... What up with dat?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Take it easy DC. I enjoyed a lot of your posts in the time you were here. Remember, you are the only person keeping you out. Maybe give it a try in the future.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I got the feeling that DC modded his Tuff and that is why he refused to send it in. He was probably afraid that his mods contributed to the failure and did not want to have this become known. A matter of pride.

This is my feeling and I may be mistaken. We may never know.
nightburn

Post by nightburn »

Wow DC, Congratulations ! ... You just took it to the next level.

In the previous thread you had both Sal and Ed offering to help you out. And what do you do? You never replied to them, then you deleted the thread, created another one, and continue to cry like a little baby in this one.

absolutely unbelievable.
:spyder: Kiwi 4, Jester, Ladybug, Southard, Junior, Southfork, Chaparral, SpyderSaw, CF S90V PM2, Dfly G-10, PM1 :spyder:
webmaster | sharpthings.net
Clip

Post by Clip »

Whew, Tuff crowd...
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Bill1170 wrote:I got the feeling that DC modded his Tuff and that is why he refused to send it in. He was probably afraid that his mods contributed to the failure and did not want to have this become known. A matter of pride.

This is my feeling and I may be mistaken. We may never know.
There were two other people in that same thread who reported similar failures with their Tuffs as well. Do you feel that they also modded their Tuffs? Why single out DC?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
nullity

Post by nullity »

Clip wrote:Whew, Tuff crowd...
Will the puns never end?! :cool:

:D
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Jay_Ev wrote:There were two other people in that same thread who reported similar failures with their Tuffs as well. Do you feel that they also modded their Tuffs? Why single out DC?
Two reasons. First, his refusal to send the Tuff in so Sal and Ed could look at it. Second, knife mods are something DC likes to do a lot of.

I can understand being annoyed by a defective knife. What makes no sense is to complain loudly and attract offers of help from both the designer and the company president/founder, and then to just blow them off. Something else has to be going on. I advanced my hypothesis. What is yours?
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

I was sarcastic in my post to Dc and to be honest. I wish I didn't feel the need too. I still believe DC may have had and still does have a fair complaint which there are channels provide by the maker to remedy the situation and in doing so may have been given something extra. I didn't know Dc modded knives and still think him to be as honest as the average man. I don't believe he would mod the knife and then start that thread. I'm an optimist but prepared. As far as I am concerned , Spydercos fan base is a pretty unique group of people that tells a lot about the company. From poor to rich, young to older , women or men , providing a product line that is unique and always changing at a price points that nobody has to be denied. Nobody is excluded. I know even if Spyderco kicked me off the forum. I wouldn't deny myself the pleasure of owning their products. I like the company. I love the knives . Shiny footprint = positive for the knife community

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

JCP1969 wrote:I didn't know Dc modded knives and still think him to be as honest as the average man. I don't believe he would mod the knife and then start that thread.
Agreed. I feel that way as well. Yet people are still going on as if he has some kind of deep seated, hidden, evil anti-Spyderco agenda.

I could be entirely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>