Tuff not so Tuff...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

DCDesigns wrote:do you doubt there was a ton of hype about this knife? For me, other than maybe the Yo2, this model was talked up more than just about any other. That is all I was referring to. And I must confess at the moment I typed that i was not a happy camper, so if a little bitterness was translated into my tone, im not surprised. Still, one questionable line is not "spewing negativity" as it was called. I was really thinking people would have been more helpful, and less dickish. thats all.

I think I may just be over talking about knives online. I sell more than I buy now anyways.
I sure didn't see Spyderco hyping it with dramatic video.

Hype is hype. Even talking about it is somewhat cliche. The only things that aren't hyped are ones that nobody cares about. With the chance of failure there always a chance at disappointment (even a small one)..

The fact is there are a TON of people with Tuff's out there that could chop down a tree (not limb) while bellowing laughter like Paul Bunyan. Your knife apparently had a problem. Personally, I expect problems to occur because things are assembled by fallible mankind, not demigods. I expect hype to be hype and reality to deliver somewhere in the middle. That way I can be pleasantly surprised 99% of the time.

As I previously stated, I do feel really bad for you. I'm sure things could have been done better by everyone. Sal and Ed seem to be the most consistent out of the bunch but even they are human. They did stop the sale of the model until things could be checked. A very respectable response.

Note: I would also like to apologize. Perspectives are perspectives but no personal attacks were intended.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

DCDesigns, as another owner of a Tuff which I carry daily now, I would be really grateful to you if you could send your Tuff in to Spyderco for inspection. Forget about all the misguided comments. You had Sal and Ed replying your post in the most gentlemanly way possible. If you like Spydies, don't let us down old chap.

If any of my replies to your posts on this thread seemed out of line, I am sorry about that. It was not intentional.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Glad to have you back on the forums DCDesigns.
nullity

Post by nullity »

KardinalSyn wrote:DCDesigns, as another owner of a Tuff which I carry daily now, I would be really grateful to you if you could send your Tuff in to Spyderco for inspection. Forget about all the misguided comments. You had Sal and Ed replying your post in the most gentlemanly way possible. If you like Spydies, don't let us down old chap.

If any of my replies to your posts on this thread seemed out of line, I am sorry about that. It was not intentional.
Well said, Kard.

Welcome back DCDesigns. I hope you stick around.
Again, sorry about the tone of my previous posts.
Each situation is a learning experience, and sometimes I learn that I'm a jerk... ;)
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

DCDesigns wrote: BUT the responses I got were anything but helpful.
In general, while it is not always easy to do - you can't let the actions of forum members create a negative feeling towards the company even if they are more than a little over zealous in defense on occasion. I realize it may be difficult, but focus on the helpful responses, ignore the rest and sent customer service a direct email and work with them.
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

DCDesigns wrote:spewing negativity in public? Listen buddy, i have done no such thing. I merely said the un-sensationalized events of what happened when my own personal Tuff failed. If you cant stand someone saying anything negative, that is your issue.
Wow , I am sorry to hear you were so offended by forum members. I had personally bet you sent the knife back already as you said I'm afraid its off to the spa, but you wanted to share your experience here first. I didn't realize you didn't follow your own thoughts on others dealing with negativity. I figured a man that touts his 5ft chainsaw could handle a bunch of opinionated forum members. :rolleyes:

IMHO I really thought since you self promote so much you would handle all this very professionally. Reason I assumed you sent the knife back ASAP. Boy was I wrong. I'm sorry about your issues not related to the knife. Good luck with them! :rolleyes:

Sorry if my post isn't PB&J I just feel like fried bologna

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

DCDesigns, please send the knife ASAP.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Cliff Stamp wrote:In general, while it is not always easy to do - you can't let the actions of forum members create a negative feeling towards the company even if they are more than a little over zealous in defense on occasion. I realize it may be difficult, but focus on the helpful responses, ignore the rest and sent customer service a direct email and work with them.
Well said Cliff...Take Care...Ed
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

JCP1969 wrote:Wow , I am sorry to hear you were so offended by forum members. I had personally bet you sent the knife back already as you said I'm afraid its off to the spa, but you wanted to share your experience here first. I didn't realize you didn't follow your own thoughts on others dealing with negativity. I figured a man that touts his 5ft chainsaw could handle a bunch of opinionated forum members. :rolleyes:

IMHO I really thought since you self promote so much you would handle all this very professionally. Reason I assumed you sent the knife back ASAP. Boy was I wrong. I'm sorry about your issues not related to the knife. Good luck with them! :rolleyes:

Sorry if my post isn't PB&J I just feel like fried bologna

James
Yup, comments like this make me not really care to share with yall... Do I really self promote? Im not sure why you care.
Im sorry me leaving for a while has perturbed you so. I cant promise Ill stay.

whether I send the knife back or not will be my business from now on. how its handled, what was wrong, thats gonna be for spyderco to share from now on, cuz Im done.. Im pretty much over it at this point. That way they can handle how it is dealt with.

Cliff- as I said, this has not changed, nor would it, my opinion of the knife, or the great company that is spyderco. This forum, however, is quickly joining the list of message boards I no longer care to frequent.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Please don't leave? Well personally I hate it when people leave like this, because certain members have been disrespectful to them. Most members here are very kind in fact (and put up with all of my noob questions.) But if you really do feel that way... I guess you'll do what you think is best, but I'd really urge you to reconsider. Same with sending in the knife. It'd really help a lot of others with the same problem, help Spyderco fix the problem, and also you'd have a new and dependable knife. Again though, it's all your choice. I've been on the forum for around a year, and I'm probably a bit biased. If it were me, I'd stay, but then again, I'm already here. Totally understand why you don't feel welcome, but I guess all it takes is one negative point to pop your balloon.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Minibear453 wrote:Please don't leave? Well personally I hate it when people leave like this, because certain members have been disrespectful to them. Most members here are very kind in fact (and put up with all of my noob questions.) But if you really do feel that way... I guess you'll do what you think is best, but I'd really urge you to reconsider. Same with sending in the knife. It'd really help a lot of others with the same problem, help Spyderco fix the problem, and also you'd have a new and dependable knife. Again though, it's all your choice. I've been on the forum for around a year, and I'm probably a bit biased. If it were me, I'd stay, but then again, I'm already here. Totally understand why you don't feel welcome, but I guess all it takes is one negative point to pop your balloon.

been here as long as you have man, i have noticed a big change in recent months.