Any sources for a higonokami?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Clip

Any sources for a higonokami?

Post by Clip »

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a higonokami/higo nokami/higo no kami, as the recent thread has stirred my interest in these. Small knife, Hitachi blue steel, simple construction, what's not to like? Anyway, I can't seem to find these things with a reasonable selection anywhere. If anyone's got a good website with choices, I'd like to see them. Right now I've found one on Amazon, but I'd like to see some of the other makers.

Also, stumbled upon Japaneseknifedirect.com and they've got some really interesting kiridashis.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Clip

Post by Clip »

Thanks! Hadn't thought to check ebay since it's currently blocked on this network.

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pretty interesting design. I wonder how comfortable those handles would be to use, since the scales are so thin. Also i wonder if they'd be labeled as a flipper, with the way the tab is that keeps the blade from over rotating could be used to flip the blade out..
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Clip

Post by Clip »

From reading the history of them on Britishblades, it sounds like they're meant to be a light, quick use utility knife (they have pencil sharpening contests with these things). I'd expect it to be alright, especially since it doesn't look like the handle is very thick so hopefully the gap will be too close to develop hotspots. Both scales will kind of act as just one maybe?

Also, I think there's too much friction to flip these but the tab is definitely used to assist. I guess it would technically still be able to be flipped though. I need one, that way I can report back with findings.

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah there would have to be friction (hence friction folder) or the blade would fall closed. Then again you could argue that the tab is solely meant to keep the blade from over extending. I'd say like any other knife, the amount of trouble you get in would depend on what you were using the knife for to begin with or why you got searched for it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I`ve been looking at these for a while...but I am never sure which are the good quality ones and which are just cheap junk.
On the hunt for...
Clip

Post by Clip »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I`ve been looking at these for a while...but I am never sure which are the good quality ones and which are just cheap junk.
Careful, may be NSFW (pics of knives on backgrounds of some generously-proportioned anime, but no nudity)
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... kami-story

From this post, I've got my sights set on the blue/white package from Seisakusyo. And thanks to Tally-ho, I have a source!

Chris
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Thanks for that link...interesting stuff. now I just need to find a good reputable place to get one of each brand. See which I prefer.
On the hunt for...
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Thanks for that link...interesting stuff. now I just need to find a good reputable place to get one of each brand. See which I prefer.
I got the "original" from ebay (direct Japanese seller), quality is, well if it was from China you'd have dogpile of people saying what piece of crap it is, but since it's from Japan it's rustic, original and stuff.

Lee valley has the other brand, which is better made from what I hear.
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

You might check out the Mino Kami Japanese folder on A. G. Russell's website. Traditional and modern all blended together to make a pretty sweet looking knife.
Ragman24

Post by Ragman24 »

There is one listed on Country Knives as a Spyderco but I don't know enough about it to say if it actually was made by Spyderco.
angusW

Post by angusW »

jzmtl wrote:Lee valley has the other brand, which is better made from what I hear.
That's the one that I have. Good shop knife. Sharpens pencils real good.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Lee Valley is where I ordered mine from.

It is what it is. It's not something I would want to use for anything of size or difficulty. My hands have a difficult time holding onto them and will begin cramping up doing anything where a little pressure is used on that small, narrow a grip.

The steel is forge welded onto Iron? Maybe? The heat treat is indifferent at best. It would be ok to give to a kid to sharpen pencils with but asking him to cut his lunchtime apple with it is almost asking too much.

Mine got sharp enough with a bit of sharpening to cut myself accidentially.

A Caly 3.5 super blue it is not.

I much prefer a Douk Douk, a Black Cat ( locking), or even Opinel.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Clip

Post by Clip »

Thanks for the insight, guys! Looks like I'm headed Lee Valley's way now.

Chris