Starmate

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The price is very steep for me as well. I guess the g10 and vg10 price gets added with the cost of traipsing half way around the globe as well.between the Southard and the StarMate, I really don't know now.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

It's not a sprint from what i can gather....check out the picture of the production model on KC's site....very very nice.... :eek:
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Agree, it is a very handsome knife, somewhat edgy, but masculine. I like. I hope its a regular production knife.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I pre-ordered it when I saw it up yesterday at KW without even thinking it over. I just got my ulize in the mail a few days ago too.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Ouch...at my estimate of $160 I was hoping to be pushing it. I think I'll pass...

At $155 I'd be happy and at $165 I'd be satisfied. At $180, I'd rather pony up another few bucks and get the original.
On the hunt for...
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Maybe it's just me, but a classic design like this is crying for a CF + whatever premium steel sprint run :)
thelock

Post by thelock »

Man have spydie prices gone up, can't really touch any of the new knives right now. Also, I follow the yt knife community a lot and I don't see spydies around as much as I used too. But the new line is so awesome :o
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
Phrenik

Post by Phrenik »

I am very happy it is a production line :p with the holidays coming along [have to start saving now - been talking with family, and they all want to buy cell phones all around lol x.x] + the 777, southard, dodo ahhhhh spyderco has me on a lease worse than my ex =[
Always loved the look of T's blades. I usually describe his knives, in that they remind me of knives that mobsters/mafia would normally EDC in those classic swazzy movies. Something al pacino may bust out to cut open his mail. I don't mean the killing type of blade, since they always seem to have an auto/switch/bali.
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

Grand Prairie has them up for preorder @$179.95
In omnia paratus
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

$173.97 with free Usa shipping at Howe's (Link)

Price is higher than I was expecting, consider the Police 3 is same size and materials and $134.40 (Cutlery Shoppe)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My new StarMate should arrive this week! One of my biggest regrets was selling my original Starmate. I've got all the other Terzuola collaborations, and they are some of my very favorite Spydies. Especially the little C19 Terzuola Jr. What an absolutely beautiful knife - it cemented Spyderco's reputation in my mind.

I'm glad Sal didn't seek to replicate the first StarMate verbatim. I'm interested to see how the changes to the design, coupled with Spyderco's CQI processes have made for an improved product.

I'm a happy camper!
TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
vinito

Post by vinito »

[video=youtube;A-aErlp0wcM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-aErlp0 ... ture=g-u-u[/video]

It has been released
RobC2

Post by RobC2 »

It looks like a solid, no-nonsense type of knife. Unfortunately, that describes a ton of knives out there. I am curious to handle one. I may get one eventually, but there are many other interesting designs out there I would want to try first.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Picked up one last week.
Not sure why there isnt more posts on this one.
Its a neat knife. ;)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I've been carrying it everyday since receiving it last week. The Starmate is going to force me to rethink my personal top 10 list of favorites. I agree with phillipsted's positive comments in another post and would like to add the following:

- This is a beefy knife. Really like the thick blade and full liners; the weight feels great and balanced.

- It's kind of like a cross between the Gayle Bradley and the Military. I think the Starmate would appeal to those who like the Gayle Bradley, Valloton, Manix, etc..

- Someone posted that the Gayle Bradley is the one Spyderco that feels most like a fixed blade. I agree, but would add the Starmate to that class too, except that it's bigger than the GB.

- I wish the clip wasn't so shiny. I prefer matte finished or dark colored clips (actually I prefer deep carry clips above all).

- Action is smooth and fast.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Mako109 wrote:It's kind of like a cross between the Gayle Bradley and the Military.
If I had doubts, I think you convinced me right there. :)

Will have to start saving for one.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am still thinking if I should get one. Probably will. Starmate looks interesting, but it is production model, so I am not in rush. Two last month were expensive. Also I still hope for Forum knives, green para, may be special Native before end of the year.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Mako109 wrote:I've been carrying it everyday since receiving it last week. The Starmate is going to force me to rethink my personal top 10 list of favorites. I agree with phillipsted's positive comments in another post and would like to add the following:

- This is a beefy knife. Really like the thick blade and full liners; the weight feels great and balanced.

- It's kind of like a cross between the Gayle Bradley and the Military. I think the Starmate would appeal to those who like the Gayle Bradley, Valloton, Manix, etc..

- Someone posted that the Gayle Bradley is the one Spyderco that feels most like a fixed blade. I agree, but would add the Starmate to that class too, except that it's bigger than the GB.

- I wish the clip wasn't so shiny. I prefer matte finished or dark colored clips (actually I prefer deep carry clips above all).

- Action is smooth and fast.
Addendum: Some additional thoughts and observations...

- the lanyard tube on my copy rattles from side-to-side a little bit. I've read others have had similar issue with other models. Not a real big deal to me and one that can be remedied myself, but I didn't expect this kind of problem on a knife costing this much.

- I think the price is rather high relative to other Spydercos of similar quality. Not really complaining here, just commenting, as I know little of manf costs etc..

- I've read a couple of comments regarding the use of Philips head screws on the clip. Personally I don't mind as the screws are small, but I can understand the opinions. What I don't care for is the triangle mount style of the clip and that it's bright and shiny. I'll have to shop for an aftermarket clip.

- the stand-offs (or spacers) are standard and plain. I think a barrel style like on the Gayle Bradley would be a nice upgrade.
Donut

Post by Donut »

bh49 wrote:I am still thinking if I should get one. Probably will. Starmate looks interesting, but it is production model, so I am not in rush. Two last month were expensive. Also I still hope for Forum knives, green para, may be special Native before end of the year.
I thought I had read that the Starmate was going to be a sprint.

I guess if we ever get a thread in the new product section, we'll find out if it's production or a sprint.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Mako109 wrote:- the lanyard tube on my copy rattles from side-to-side a little bit. I've read others have had similar issue with other models. Not a real big deal to me and one that can be remedied myself, but I didn't expect this kind of problem on a knife costing this much.
+1
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE