Will the Urban be kicked out of my pocket? Bradley Air is inbound

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Will the Urban be kicked out of my pocket? Bradley Air is inbound

Post by dbcad »

If this is the only immediate worry I have I'm doing pretty well ;) Still it was not planned :eek: I succumbed to a post I read on Saturday that told about a deal on the Air at CS, I have had my eye on this model for a few months and only now gave in to despite many months of admirably restraining myself :eek:

There are really no worries, bills will be paid and my wife and I will not lack :) My intially mixed feelings tinged with a little bit of guilt are resolving into a happy acceptance and anticipation :) I'm anticipating getting the Air in hand :D

Back to the question in the title, Do you think the Urban will be kicked out of pocket because a sleek, attractive potential competitor rides in?

The Urban has been a mainstay in my pocket for quite some time. For me it has been a very versatile and useful knife. It's easy, forgiving, comfortable, very well built, and NKP friendly :) It has cut all sorts of food, carboard, whittled wood, been chipped and resharpened a few times as well as being used for the rewarding task of cutting roses for mine and friends sweethearts :D

Do you think the Bradley Air will kick the Urban out of my pocket? Just a Spyderco thought that's been bouincing in my head since I placed the order For the Air ;) Funny how you can develop a real appreciation for a well made knife over time :)
Attachments
urban 002.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I have and really like both knives. I think it is a possibility.

The Air is a bit lighter and it cuts amazingly well. It's a good situation to be in, they're both great knives.
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

If the air had a clip it would be a favorite of many I think. I handled one a few weeks ago and it was an amazing knife but the lack of clip has me second guessing needing one. I see it ousting your urban
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

The Urban is a fine, fine modding platform. And if you go to England, you can pack it in a checked bag. Other than that, you can expect its role to diminish significantly. The Air is just too good to sit in a box. M4 takes as good an edge as VG-10 and holds it a long time. It's light, and spiffy looking. Can't beat it.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

The Air is well...like air, it is VERY light and with no clip it feels almost too slim? for me at least, but to each his own, I handled one recently and felt it was too light for me, but then, I had the cf chaparral and felt it was also too light, have the Titanium one and love it, a little heftier just feels more confident, again, to me at least :)
G2
"The Road to **** is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm a bit fan of the Urban and while I haven't carried it much I find that the Air is just...nicer. Much more refined and gentlemanly. And while I think that they both do the same tasks, they are quite different feeling in the hand. The Urban feels more rugged and rough, the Air is light and slim and elegant...I use my Kiwi pouch to carry the Air in, and it works perfectly, The Urban has the clip. I think that depending on your personal preferences it could go either way.
On the hunt for...
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I bought the Air because it was on sale and I was curious. I sold it. It has none of the solid feeling of its bigger brother. Give the locking liner a gentle push inward and you'll see what I mean. I'm sure it would hold up but it feels flimsy to me.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Gary W Graley wrote:The Air is well...like air, it is VERY light and with no clip it feels almost too slim? for me at least, but to each his own, I handled one recently and felt it was too light for me, but then, I had the cf chaparral and felt it was also too light, have the Titanium one and love it, a little heftier just feels more confident, again, to me at least :)
G2
I agree, I feel that way about my Caly CF, I love the knife but the the Native 5 for example being a little thicker and heavier is more comfortable and also less slipery feeling in my hand.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My impression of the Air is almost 100% positive. It has definitely pushed almost every other knife out of my pocket for daily office carry. It is very light weight, and I carry EDC deep in my pocket, sans clip. The grip is really fantastic with the twill fabric scales. the thin M4 blade stays sharp a very long time. It is a great slicer and precision cutter. And the build quality is almost perfect - it feels rock solid in my hand and carries like a little brother of the Gayle Bradley. I'm in love!

TedP
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Air is nice, and I like mine a lot. But the lack of a clip keeps it out of my pocket. Even with a clip, I doubt it would bump the para 2 or Techno from my pockets.
:bug-red-white
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Thanks folks :) It's interesting reading the different responses :) Preferences and tastes do vary like my own ;) The Urban and the Air will be 2 completely different models with different feels, personalities and characteristics. It will be enjoyable to see how they coexist.

The history I have with the Urban has been so enjoyable so far. Touched it up with the F and UF stones at 30° this eve. Beautifully sharp :D . I'll see how sharp the Air comes and how sharp I can get it ;)
Charlie

Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

In 2 years, I've flirted with other knives - Lone Wolf Presto and Boker Cox - but gorgeous as these are, they just don't feel right in my pocket or hand, or hand in pocket!

For me, the Urban is perfection in design and ergonomics.
How I wish for a sprint run - Made in Golden, S90V and colourful G10...
spydie fanatic

Post by spydie fanatic »

Hey you wanna trade or sell the urban let me know :)
"To Care for Those Who Shall Have Borne the Battle..." Abraham Lincoln

Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex :)
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Charlie

spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

cant say as its definitely a personal opinion, but the urban is an awesome knife....I used to carry mine all the time.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I find that the FG Urban is a lot harder to find than the Orange one...and if they ever come up at a decent price, say $75 or so, I will buy 2-3...more 4 or 5 to give away and keep a couple. The FG is a great great knife.
On the hunt for...