Should the compression lock idea just be abandoned?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I agree that the Comp lock is a little awkward to use at first, but it has quickly become my favorite. I wouldn't want a PM2 with any other lock.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome LC :) agreed on the compression lock :)

"I think the OP is right. I took an outside poll. Everyone I have talked to outside the forum. family, friends, acquaintances and passer byers have all said they don't care about the compression lock. Then again they said. What the **** is a compression lock and who is Spyderco? J/K

James "

I beg to differ with James' opinion. To me the compression lock is innovative, practical, efficient, strong, and a beautiful solution to the lock question.

I believe the poll data is a bit skewed ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The comp lock is somewhat esoteric in the grand scheme of knife users. Lockbacks are very traditional thanks to Buck. Frame locks are somewhat common.

Then again, why does mainstream opinion have to influence niche products? I know how to close my tools...should I concern myself with other's opinions. They aren't donating to the knife fund and their kudos points can't be used at the bank ;) .
timberweasel

Post by timberweasel »

I'll be honest: when I tried the Compression Lock for the first time, it felt alien, weird, and backwards. Now I dig it. Great lock!
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Charlie , Yep my poll was skewed. I figured the OP must have taken a similar kind of poll. considering everyone he knew didn't like the compression lock. The truth is I haven't seen another human being in 3 days. By the way like in my first post in this thread. Me myself and I do like the compression lock. That is 3 don't abandons.
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Not picking on anyone in particular, though I quoted two posts below...I don't think the OP was trolling. Spyderco makes lots of diffferent locks, and not all work for everyone. Choice is good. We are fortunate that Spyderco offers so much variety, and so much quality, in locks, steel and blades. :spyder:
Onionman wrote:I assume that this thread was started just to elicit a response, since the compression lock has IMO opened the door to all kinds of new designs for pocket knives. The Junior, my favorite knife and the most ergonomic knife I have ever used, would not have been possible if not for this lock. So mission accomplished kgriggs8, you got us talking, but the idea of abandoning the compression lock is absurd.

I think I'll now start a thread touting the benefits of knife abstinence.
Evil D wrote:This entire mess of a thread could've been avoided if the OP had just done a 3 second search for "favorite lock" which would have yielded this very recent thread about this subject which clearly shows the compression lock winning the poll with almost 4x the amount of votes as the second favorite lock. I find it amusing as i sit and fondling my Yojimbo 2 and can easily close it left handed, since i'm a very dominantly right handed person. Some people either love to stir the pot or refuse to learn new things.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... e-tell-why
SDR

Post by SDR »

Surely the OP started this thread on April 1st?

Speaking of the OP, where is that wiley rascal, anyway? With new posts appearing faster than kernels on an ear of corn I should think that he would at least make an appearance in his own thread just to refute some of these pro-comp-lock testimonials. I mean, sheesh, dude, where are you?

Speaking for myself--and, only myself--I love the compression lock on all of my Para 2's! It's hard to imagine that knife with any other locking mechanism.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digicam DLC Paramilitary 2 ~ S30V * Titanium Military ~ S30V * Digicam DLC Military ~ S30V * Brown Paramilitary 2 CPM-S35VN * Orange Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-XHP * Green Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-204P * Black Native ~ CPM-S30V *Sharpmaker w/Diamond Rods & Ultra-Fine Stones
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Maybe he's afraid to endure further bashing? Not every knife is for everyone, and not every lock is for everyone. My favorite's the liner lock, and there's quite a few people who don't trust this lock and won't use it. Still my favorite. Compression lock's a favorite of many others as well, but some people dislike that lock as well.

Maybe the way the OP started the thread was incorrect, but the base idea- that he doesn't like the compression lock, is still there.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Holland

Post by Holland »

the compression lock is super simple, strong, and easy to manoeuvre. i couldn't disagree more with the original post
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

kbuzbee wrote:Is there a "hint" buried in there, brother? ;)

Ken
I guess you could take that as a hint, but not a very good hint. Comp locks are complex creatures that require a lot of force balancing and geometry.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

gbelleh wrote:I completely disagree with the OP. The comp lock is probably my favorite lock.
This thread has to be a joke right? I agree 100% with gbelleh!
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

I personally love the comp lock, and I would even like to see it used in a Military-type folder. I find that the lock is easy to use, and I appreciate the added level of safety that the lock gives to a folder. The only small issue that I have is that the position of the lock on the top of the handle scales prevents a totally smooth handle, but this can be said of other lock types, and I believe that the overall benefits of the compresion lock outweights this personal gripe.
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

speedcut

Post by speedcut »

Comp lock is my favourite lock that Spyderco is making... Very strong and very easy operation once you get used to it...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

SolidState wrote:I guess you could take that as a hint, but not a very good hint. Comp locks are complex creatures that require a lot of force balancing and geometry.
Understood. I just wanted you to know comments like that don't slide by unnoticed ;) They can be cross linked to other posts in other forum areas ;)

Just saying ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

As a lefty I do not have a problem with this lock . On the other hand I have a friend who is a righty who will not own a compr lock . Goes to show locks are a matter of tastes . Regards MG2
Donut

Post by Donut »

I say we should ditch it like the $100 bill. How useless is that thing? :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

Compression lock is my favorite lock. I am a lefty, but have become ambidextrous with knives. I consider the compression lock to be right-handed, but usable left-handed. Being able to swing it closed right-handed with no fingers in the path of the blade is great. The lock also seems to be extremely durable, strong, etc. Awesome :)
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'm left-handed and much like the compression lock. It safes my favorite EDC.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bearcat1

Post by Bearcat1 »

If the OP owned a PM2 for a little while and gave it a try he would not have made the original post.
Mad is bad. - Sal :)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I find that the comp lock is just as easy to use as a backlock with either hand. I'd go as far as to say it's actually a bit easier to use with my left hand.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN