My love for the Techno...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nemo3000

My love for the Techno...

Post by Nemo3000 »

Hi,

I love electronica. I love Transe...
Always loved Nordic bands like Royksopp or Iamamiwhoami.
So this C158TI was born to please me.

Here are my second impression so far:

http://nemoknivesreview.wordpress.com/2 ... -edc-ever/

cheers
Nemo
tvhaugen

Post by tvhaugen »

Great review and well said! I am loving my Techno as well!
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Nice review. I really want to like the Techno but the ergonomics were just a bit off for me. I may end up giving one a try at some point.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Couldn't agree more, it is a great piece. I put a DoDo wireclip on mine, I like to have a bit more grip on the butt of the knife when pulling it out of my pocket.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Ted wrote:Couldn't agree more, it is a great piece. I put a DoDo wireclip on mine, I like to have a bit more grip on the butt of the knife when pulling it out of my pocket.
Great initiative. I've been thinking also to try that too. But the deep pocket is the perfect compromise in the environment I'm evolving those days... :-)
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The Techno is a great looking knife - love the Ti. I would have to handle one before I would buy. I'm not sure how it would fit in my hand, plus I tend to like a choil. My nearest dealer is 3 hours away. Maybe a road trip is in order.
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Great writing and as always, excellent photos (I really like your blog, have been following it for a while) and I also 100% agree with your thoughts on the Techno.

Hands down my favourite EDC knife, I love it!

Keep up the good work.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I borrowed a Techno from a friend of mine a while back and still have it. As much as I hate the blue backspacer (and I really really do), I do really like the rest of the knife so much that I am really not wanting to give it back.

The clip was an issue for me, it was tightened down but would easily slide back and forth, so I took some of that plastic tubing that shrinks when heat is, slid it around the clip and now I have a really perfect clip. And it grabs a bit extra too.
On the hunt for...
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

The old blue G10 backspacer is a pretty contentious point on the Techno. While I think it looks great and makes the knife look a bit different to most other offerings, I can understand why some people don't like it. I am actually surprised that no-one is making custom back spacers yet in different colours and materials. I guess, at the end of the day its just not economically viable to custom make such a small component for a knife that is not so common really in the grand scheme of things.

I'd love a GITD G10 backspacer on mine.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Mocean wrote:The old blue G10 backspacer is a pretty contentious point on the Techno. While I think it looks great and makes the knife look a bit different to most other offerings, I can understand why some people don't like it. I am actually surprised that no-one is making custom back spacers yet in different colours and materials. I guess, at the end of the day its just not economically viable to custom make such a small component for a knife that is not so common really in the grand scheme of things.

I'd love a GITD G10 backspacer on mine.
Yeah I'm not going to take it apart just to replace it. At least not yet...but I am just not a fan of bright blue. I didn't buy a Sage 3, I bought but then sold my Para2...just don't like it.

But I'd be ok with a darker color. Not adverse to having a color backspacer, just in something less bright.

I think that a darker blue or a burgundy, even a dark forest green.
On the hunt for...
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

You could whip up some glow epoxy and put it in the grooves of the backspacer
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Great review Nemo, I'm putting mine through its paces now. I must admit that one of my first thoughts also was something along the linese of "finally an ergonomic small Sebenza with a Spyderhole".
I like the idea of putting on a dodo clip for better grip at the end of the handle when retreiving the knife from a pocket, I'll definitely try that one Ted.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

What a great knife! The Techno has kept my Small Sebenza out of my pocket for 2+ months now and has been the only folder I've carried since buying it. As much as I love the Small Regular Sebenza,my default EDC for nearly 7 years, the Techno actually checks off more boxes on my lists of "wants". It's more rugged(IMO), the price-point relative to other high-end production/Mid-Tech 3"ish folders is very competitive and it's more easily replaced in the event of loss/damage. FWIW, I simply used a permanent marker to darken down the back-spacer resulting in a darker blue colour.
Thanks for the great write-up and pics!
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Dragan

Post by Dragan »

Nice knife but not my cup of tea,still carry mine caly 3 vg-10.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm not a huge fan of it. I don't think the clip makes it carry well in dress pants and I typically want a larger knife with jeans.

I do think an Orange Back Spacer would be a nice option. I did see someone sell a techno with a GITD backspacer.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Nice review Nemo.

I too prefer choils on my knives, yet don't really miss it on the Techno. To me it still has a place to rest my finger without contacting the sharp edge while doing fine controlled cuts, similar to how a Delica feels to me.

I carried mine this weekend, and used it for quite a bit of whittling, making wood shavings to start a fire to smoke some salmon. Yes the blade is thick and sturdy, but the edge is very sharp (and to me keeps its edge pretty well!) and it worked well for my needs for cutting shavings from oak and pecan sticks. I do like CTS-XHP! :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like the Techno so much more than I expected. I find the blue backspacer is a much more subdued color than I expected too. I can't seem to keep it out of my pocket.
:bug-red-white