Interesting NOVA episode, Secrets of the Viking Sword

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
prime77

Interesting NOVA episode, Secrets of the Viking Sword

Post by prime77 »

I watched the other night and really enjoyed it and thought some of you guys might find it interesting. Here it is online.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2284159044/
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Ew, Goldman Sachs ad.

That's okay - I love hearing about swords forged from bog iron, so looking forward to this!
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Just like there seemed to be endless tribes coming out of the Asian steppes, successive tribes came south out of Scandinavia: Goths, Vandals, Angles, Saxons, Jutes. They displaced the Celts primarily and later came into conflict with Rome and Eastern tribes. The Scandinavian tribes conquered almost all of Europe and eventually defeated Rome. In the Viking era one sea captain was given part of France, Normandy. The Normans (northmen) again conquered England. Viking also conquered most of Eastern Europe and Russia. They traded with the Muslim empire acquiring vast fortunes in the slave trade in particular. As they settled down in the east they gave up paganism and adopted Greek Orthodox Christianity. As tribal areas became affiliated with either Greek Orthodoxy or Islam, those areas where vodka was favored became Greek Orthodox and those areas where Opium or Hashish were favored became Muslim. Despite a long peaceful affiliation with Islam and war with Constantinople, Vikings loved vodka and Muslims cannot drink alcohol.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I saw this the other night and thought that it was pretty interesting and cool to see. Apparently if you go to the smith's site you can order that type of steel from him.
On the hunt for...
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

That is very cool! I'd heard some about the original source of some of the steel, but never seen something that close to the original made straight from a crucible/ingot. I want an +ULFBERH+T now!
-
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

defenestrate wrote:I want an +ULFBERH+T now!
You and me both!
On the hunt for...
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

defenestrate wrote:That is very cool! I'd heard some about the original source of some of the steel, but never seen something that close to the original made straight from a crucible/ingot. I want an +ULFBERH+T now!
A knife blade would be cool.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I think I could appreciate an Ulberht-inspired knife, if it were done right.
-
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

very cool video, thanks! next time i go to door county i am going to see if i can stop by that guy's shop
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Thanks for the link, very interesting show.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
prime77

Post by prime77 »

One of the things I found interesting is that even back then there were people who made inferior copies of someone else work.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i have friends in europe that the link wont work for them. how do you get around that again?
My knives
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That was awesome. I envy that guy's skill to make such a masterpiece. I was a little let down at the end though, i wanted to see the finished piece put to work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Divo

Post by Divo »

tonydahose wrote:i have friends in europe that the link wont work for them. how do you get around that again?
Using a proxy . . . to find out that too slow. :p
Because I live in Europe and could not use this link either, I downloaded the vid on Usenet.
The one I downloaded is 1080p and is almost 6,4 GB
But I saw smaller ones too. Will look if I can upload it later this evening.
Divo

Post by Divo »

Files on wetransfer. Download without tricks.
Links only valid for 2 weeks (till 3 november, 2012)

NOVA.S40E01.Secrets.of.the.Viking.Sword.HDTV.x264.zip (412MB)
(Resolution 720 x 404)
http://wtrns.fr/E45MOWn448uvqaq

NOVA.S40E01.Secrets.of.the.Viking.Sword.720p.HDTV.x264.zip (1.3GB)
(Resolution 1280 x 720)
http://wtrns.fr/7m0reMNZeFt310
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

thanks much!
My knives
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Ric Furrer has been researching and recreating crucible steels for many years. I think that he studied every archaeological dig along the silk road. I have a lot of respect for him. 10-12 years ago I was listening to Sat morning NPR radio and heard talk about a sword, a dragon slaying sword. One group of scholars developed a data base on all mythological encounters between man and dragon, to develop a modern dragon slaying sword. The sword had to be harder than most and corrosion resistant. Ric made a San Mai sword. The clad on the sword was stainless steel to resist the acidic blood, the core was crucible steel, and the piece was case hardened to Rockwell C scale 69. The sword was named the C69. I got in contact with Ric at that time and we have been friends ever since. Ric has been doing cool stuff for a long time. Ric and Beths oldest son is named Thor, who better to do this work...Take Care...Ed
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The thing i really found interesting about this video was when the guy was talking about how katanas are really good swords but they're exaggerated, and he does the same cut with an unsharpened medieval sword as he does the sharpened katana. It really shows how important edge and grind geometry is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David