New byrd model?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
sal

New byrd model?

Post by sal »

We've been refining and imnproving byrds since the first model. (Harrier) and we've come a long way. I'd like to introduce a new Harrier in the future.

In addition, we're thinking about adding another byrd model. We have a number of ideas, but no directions yet. At this time we're open to all suggestions.

sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I had no clue of the Harrier until Paul posted in this subforum. It will be exciting to see a second version!

Personally I would like to see a thicker version of the Flight with more of a bowie style blade, maybe even with a pinky ramped handle.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'd like to bring up the idea of a byrd fixed blade again. Something in the 3.5"-4.5" range, nothing too strange on the blade shape. If the price could be kept under $50 with a sheath, I'd bet a lot of people would have one in the glove box or trunk as a just in case kind of knife or a loaner on hunting trips.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...

Post by 1623 »

Many of the byrd knives are loosely based on Spyderco branded models correct? The Cara Cara 2 is essentially the byrd line Endura, the Tern is like the UKPK, etc.

Given the popularity of the Para 2, would a byrd variant be a worthwhile tool up?
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I'm thinking along the same lines of 1623, but the first knife I thought of was the civilian/matriarch. One doesn't need a super steel in a self defense folder, since the edge does not need to withstand hundreds of cuts. So a cheaper steel, 8cr13mov (I think), would not be detrimental to such a knife. And a cheap self defense knife that still has great performance would work out perfectly I think.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
canivete

Post by canivete »

A EDC fixed with a blade about 2.5"/3" would be wonderful.
As the Robin is a winner, I would like to see something in this size range. Think about a byrd version of an Urban wharnie. Lock back, of course.
thog94

Post by thog94 »

I think the next small key chain folder should be called the "Chickadee". A nice Dyad version would be cool.
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

Would it be feasible to have an h1 byrd? I looked and didn't see any. Not sure how that steel would fit into the overall pricing of the byrd line though.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

H1 cannot be done in China...

An idea?
Solid stainless scales with the Byrd hole all over the scales for grip retention might be an idea?
Even in a random pattern?
My MeadowLark scales needs more holes...what better than more Byrd Holes?
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

MMMM. how about a Byrd Hole pattern covered stainless steel scale Hawkbill?

Call it the Byrd-Claw....'cause the blade grabs the cut-able matter, and the scales grab your hand back?

(Bad English I know, but you get the idea?)
WxGuyGrant

Post by WxGuyGrant »

A fixed blade byrd does sound good. Would most likely become a new outdoor knife for me.

I've always liked the Ethnic series buy have never been able to buy one due to being a poor student. Would it be possible to have an ethnic knife produced as a byrd? The Chinese folder would make sense based on the country of origin but a Persian or Navaja type knife would be awesome.

Alternatively, any thoughts on an Emerson opener on a byrd or is the cost of licensing the rights to use it prohibitive?
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I'll go with the fixed blade camp.

Alternatively, a Finch 2 would be nice. or a UKPK sized slip joint to go along with the Urban sized Tern.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Donut

Post by Donut »

What about a Byrd that is similar to the Stretch with no choil?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
timberweasel

Post by timberweasel »

How's about a Byrd modelled after the Spyderco Cricket? It would be super-cool to have the blade the same shape as the comet-hole for kind of a picture-in-picture effect...
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

timberweasel wrote:How's about a Byrd modelled after the Spyderco Cricket? It would be super-cool to have the blade the same shape as the comet-hole for kind of a picture-in-picture effect...
That is a very interesting thought.

My first inclination would be, as someone also suggested above, a byrd based on the Para-Military2. Not necessarily a direct copy by any means, but a hard use byrd with a compression lock that fills the same niche in the market as the PM2 but at a price for any budget. I smell a winner.

As suggested above, I would love to see the Finch get re-released with the same blade updates made to the Meadowlark, Cara Cara, and Robin. Improved blade shape, slightly smaller opening hole, and full flat grind. I'd by 10 just to have one handy anytime I might need it.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

How about a flipper? (Insert flip the Byrd pun here). But seriously a flipper would push me to buy my first Byrd.
jeff_C

Post by jeff_C »

Donut wrote:What about a Byrd that is similar to the Stretch with no choil?
Yes to this!!!! Love the blade shape on the Stretch.
timberweasel

Post by timberweasel »

ASmitty wrote:That is a very interesting thought.
Thanks! I've been interested in the Cricket for a couple years now and have always deferred due to the price point for such a small knife (I know, I know... good things come in small packages and all that!) :o I think a Byrd variant of the Cricket would be a great affordable alternative. :cool:
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

I'd stock up on anything resembling a Ronin or Yojimbo, Wharnie blades are becoming rather rare and out of the price range for many users.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Several good suggestions here. As I read I would think "I'm going to second that". As I read I found myself wanting to "second" several things so I'm going to limit it to 2 seconds in one. Fixed blade was one. Small fixed blade EDC was the other. I would like to add that a small fixed blade with a neck knife sheath be added to the lineup. I've been carrying a Manbug in a neck sheath (made by angusw) for 2 or 3 months now and REALLY like it. One thing I like is that it is very small. This is helped because the knife folds of course. But, carrying a knife in a neck sheath is by far the easiest access. There are drawbacks like anything. Something flopping around when you are working over something is an example. Keep the cord short.

So, I suggest a fixed blade with a 1.5 to 2" blade in a neck sheath. A lanyard split ring could be put in a rivet hole to attach to a keychain if you wanted. Or just carry it in your pocket or purse. 8Cr13MoV is a fine steel for the byrd neck knife. Of course the cord that goes around your neck should be 14k gold. Ok, Platinum. :)