Tuff not so Tuff...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

This is why I will continue to stick with Spyderco.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

tr4022 wrote:Now I ask you, where else you gonna get customer service like ^^^^^?!

Tod
KardinalSyn wrote:This is why I will continue to stick with Spyderco.

Oh yeh, me too.
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

tr4022 wrote:Now I ask you, where else you gonna get customer service like ^^^^^?!

Tod
I have to say as a new comer to Spyderco's I am beyond impressed. Very glad I chose this brand of knives, they offer it all, quality, variety, and great customer service.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

WOW< I log out for one day, come back to 6 new pages of nonsense, most not relevent to the tuff at all. Im probably gonna end up closing this one...
nullity wrote:The OP inadventintly bent the lockbar too far outward.
Chopping puts pressure on the stop-pin, and not the lockbar, if done "correctly".

I am seeing user error, plain and simple.

Without more information there's no way to know. Pictures, maybe?
Where are you getting this? You know, I have to apologize, I didnt see you standing there that day. I would have offered you a cookie!

I didnt do anything you claim, the forces involved were miniscule, and FYI, there is a stop block built into the steel insert on the lock bar that keeps you from flexing it.
I gave plenty of information if youd actually read it.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

The Mastiff wrote:DC is one of us and should be given the respect we would want extended to ourselves. On the same note I believe that since this is a new design and there aren't really many complaints along the lines of what DC is referring to Sal and Ed and Spyderco should be given the opportunity to look at the knife in question if for no other reason than to figure out what is happening, if it can happen again, and if there is a problem requiring correction involving more than just DC's knife.

DC, if money is a problem getting it shipped I will gladly send you a few dollars to help get it in to look at it. It should be followed up if nothing else than out of respect for Sal, Ed, Spyderco, and all of us buyers of the Tuff.

DC, I shouldn't even ask as I know better but did you make any adjustments attempting to get it to open easier when you were having troubles with it being tight?

No offense, just had to ask. :)

Mine is still essentially new so I can't comment on it. I have ZDP enduras I've worked much harder so my experience is lacking other than being able to comment about fit and finish on mine, which is superlative. Amazing knife!

Thanks,

Joe
Thanks Joe! I really appreciate it. Yea, I was not expecting this reaction to the thread. Half the people seem to think I just popped in, made an account, and posted this thread.

I had hoped to post the follow up on this thread of what happened with spyderco and what not, but Im pretty sure its too caked in BS to be functional. Its a shame, I could have done without all the "John Madden like" observations, armchair elitists, and derailments. There are a few comments offering condolences peppered in, and I really appreciate those, it was a dark day.

Dont worry about the cash, its not tight at the moment, and **** I could buy a tuff, I can afford to send it for a check up! Thanks tho, I appreciate the offer.
I will most certainly make sure to keep you and those interested apprised to whats going on. I havent looked through the mess to see if Sal or someone chimed in yet, but if I hear from him I will make sure to include it. Again, most likely in a new thread.

And no, I had not altered the Tuff at all out of box. It was really really hard to open one handed at first (I can almost flick it open now), and I had originally wanted to loosen the pivot, but it wouldnt budge, and I didnt want to strip it out, so I left it alone. Its pretty much bone stock, the opposite of its yardwork replacement my lionspy :)

Thanks for the help and the respect! -DC
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

xavierdoc wrote:As much as I enjoy these brief flirtations off topic...

Back to the Tuff! I value the OP sharing his experience. Arguably, he could have ducked some flak by avoiding comments about "not living up to the hype". Such comments invite defensive responses from Spydie fans.

My own Tuff seems to be holding up well to similar use described by the OP. I'm very happy with it, although I have reground the tip as it was so thick behind the edge that sharpening was impossible. It's still a rugged tip but now it's sharp, too!

With respect to the lock "failure", I am keeping a close eye on the steel lockbar insert. I welcomed this feature as it should reduce rate of wear at the tang-to-lockbar interface and it opens the possibility of replacement/renewal that is difficult with a Reeve-style integral lock.

However, it is a possible point of failure if the insert loosens, or was not fully seated at assembly (dirt behind the plate, burred edge, etc.) or perhaps in the OPs case it was simply out of spec?

Someone mentioned that this knife should have had an arrangement to prevent overextension of the lock bar. IT DOES! The steel lockbar insert extends beyond the lock bar into a recess on the inner surface of the non-locking portion of the scale. This simple and elegant design protects the lock bar hinge.

Anyway, if I notice any issues with the lock bar insert loosening or other issues , I'll post about it, as well as contacting Spyderco. I hope others will post objective experiences about Spyderco knives without fear of being trampled; shiny footprints are no good if they're across your back!
Hey, thanks for that, that last line is very well said!

Just checked the insert, its tight. Dont think that was the issue, as the feel of the whole lockbar is too light. ITs MUCH easier to open than it was, which leads me to believe the titanium may have been milled too deep on one side or something like that.

As per the "tuff not living up to the hype" - It didnt... Mine didnt anyway, and I was upset about it, as Im sure you can understand.
Is that a negative thing, yes it is, but im talking about MY knife, NOT YOURS! so there is no reason to be upset fanboys.

The funny thing is, I probably spent three times as much on spyderco this month as the people claiming I am hating on the company.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

If a post is percieved as angry, the chances of a defensive and negative reply are greatly increased ;)

When will Spyderco be evaluating the knife?? It's time for some objective root cause fact to be interjected here ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Anytime you put something out there, you run the risk of getting something you don't want. You takes the good with the bad.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Anytime you put something out there, you run the risk of getting something you don't want. You takes the good with the bad.
Agreed :) That's why a bit of thought beforehand is a very good thing :) I'm not trying to chide DC, just inform that how you post is often as important as what in this fickle medium ;) ..........percieved anger begets more anger and a defensive posture........

Just looking forward to a definitive reason for the Tuff's failure ;)
Charlie

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hype is rarely "lived up to", its elevated expectations. Until the knife is evaluated nobody (even DC) will know what's up.

Nice fanboy comment. I take back my comment about the original post being less than eloquent.

Send in the knife. The maker just begged you. Then this thread can end well.
nullity

Post by nullity »

DCDesigns wrote:WOW< I log out for one day, come back to 6 new pages of nonsense, most not relevent to the tuff at all. Im probably gonna end up closing this one...

Where are you getting this? You know, I have to apologize, I didnt see you standing there that day. I would have offered you a cookie!

I didnt do anything you claim, the forces involved were miniscule, and FYI, there is a stop block built into the steel insert on the lock bar that keeps you from flexing it.
I gave plenty of information if youd actually read it.
Sorry I was so abrasive with the tone of my post. That's my fault. Apologies. The tone of your post may have affected the tone of my post.

Being that you've included so little information about the knife, all we can do is assume. As you point out, I did forget it has an over-extension stop built-in to the steel lockface insert.

Still, I am assuming user error. I think an inaccurate swing may have contacted the lockbar directly against the wood you were chopping, and caused the lockbar to get seriously damaged. Did you ever get around to taking pictures?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I don't think anyone can assume anything other than for some reason the lock is out of spec.... ;)

Once the knife is sent in and can be looked over nobody will know exactly what happened and why.

Until that happens it's all speculation.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

More detailed information would be useful ;)
Charlie

Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

dbcad wrote:More detailed information would be useful ;)
Not really, the knife will have to be looked at by Spyderco to determine what happened...

That's just not going to happen here on the forum so it's all guesswork, assumptions, conjecture, etc...

Ed will determine what happened to the knife and take care of the problem I am sure.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Agreed :) That evaluation will mean more detailed information ;)
Charlie

sodak

Post by sodak »

How is the edge? Since this is 3V, I assume that it held up with no problems.

I just got my Tuff, and I really like it. Usually, I'm not a huge fan of frame locks or liner locks, but the Tuff and Gayle Bradley knives made me click on the "buy" button. I'm glad they are looking into it, I was pretty sure that they would, I'll be interested to hear how it all turns out, good luck!
thelock

Post by thelock »

dbcad wrote:If a post is percieved as angry, the chances of a defensive and negative reply are greatly increased ;)

When will Spyderco be evaluating the knife?? It's time for some objective root cause fact to be interjected here ;)
His 200+$ knife failed on him, he is lucky to still have his fingers on and you want him to throw flowers around lol
It would be fun to see some statistics of which knives are being sent back the most due to lock problems.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It would be fun to see how many people lose fingers from those rare to fail locks. I'm guessing its at least 100%.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

DCDesign, good luck getting the issues with your Tuff straightened out. I hope you take advantage of Mr. Schempp's perhaps once-in-a-life time offer to help you out. We should all be so lucky when a purchase doesn't work out the way we want. I'm sure Spyderco will make you happy. Best wishes.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Originally Posted by dbcad
If a post is percieved as angry, the chances of a defensive and negative reply are greatly increased

When will Spyderco be evaluating the knife?? It's time for some objective root cause fact to be interjected here

thelock wrote:His 200+$ knife failed on him, he is lucky to still have his fingers on and you want him to throw flowers around lol
It would be fun to see some statistics of which knives are being sent back the most due to lock problems.
Flowers are a good idea, especially considering DC still has his fingers :)

Reiterate my point that a post made in anger will most likely return some of the same.

Still looking forward to knowing the actual cause of the lock failure.

Rates of documented lock failure will most likely be extremely low.
Charlie