Favorite byrd knife

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
shahrial

Favorite byrd knife

Post by shahrial »

To start off.. which is your favorite byrd knife and why?
| C156GPBN Brad Southard Flipper CTS-204P | C144GGY Caly 3.5 Super Blue | C113CF Caly 3 ZDP189 | C163BK Pingo | C28PYL2 Dragonfly2 Salt | C122GPBL Tenacious (x2) | BRK Native | BY08G Raven | BY22BK Hawkbill |
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

The Wings line up , hands down great design and buy . Regards MG2
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

I have the Cara Cara2 FRN Handle, and this little thing is incredibly impressive for its cost. I was going to give byrds to my more annoying relatives this Xmas, but after playing with them I've decided they are too nice for them, so socks it is!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

This one, the Byrd Harrier. It was the first Byrd and, IMHO, is still the most elegant looking one. Midlock, smooth bolsters, gently contoured handle to show off the layers and weaves of the Micarta scales, all adds up to a very nice looking knife.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

Funny part was, when I first saw it, I thought someone was copying the Spyderco Schempp Persian. Spyderco had not announced the Byrd line and there was nothing in the eBay listings to indicate it was made by a new division of Spyderco. "Reported" it on the BF Spyderco Forum an felt kind of dumb when they revealed that Byrd was a new venture of theirs. :o Naturally, once I knew that, I pulled the trigger on one. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jwingfie

Post by jwingfie »

I love my wings slip-it, but I rarely ever use it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
shahrial

Post by shahrial »

I like the byrd Crow with the anodized aluminum handle.. that model have been discontinued..

This picture from Spyderco Photo Contest in facebook.

* superceded with a G-10 model. The G-10 model is easier to maintain perhaps but the alum. handle look prettier. :D
| C156GPBN Brad Southard Flipper CTS-204P | C144GGY Caly 3.5 Super Blue | C113CF Caly 3 ZDP189 | C163BK Pingo | C28PYL2 Dragonfly2 Salt | C122GPBL Tenacious (x2) | BRK Native | BY08G Raven | BY22BK Hawkbill |
thog94

Post by thog94 »

I like my Firebyrd, its my only Byrd knife at the moment. If anything it's a conversation starter.

cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

The Deacon wrote:This one, the Byrd Harrier. It was the first Byrd and, IMHO, is still the most elegant looking one. Midlock, smooth bolsters, gently contoured handle to show off the layers and weaves of the Micarta scales, all adds up to a very nice looking knife.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

Funny part was, when I first saw it, I thought someone was copying the Spyderco Schempp Persian. Spyderco had not announced the Byrd line and there was nothing in the eBay listings to indicate it was made by a new division of Spyderco. "Reported" it on the BF Spyderco Forum an felt kind of dumb when they revealed that Byrd was a new venture of theirs. :o Naturally, once I knew that, I pulled the trigger on one. :D

Deacon, that is great looking byrd, and you sir have just given me a reason to drive to Golden today!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm saddened to say that I have a boatload of Spydies and zero Byrds. I need to rectify this soon...

Nice name - "Harrier".

TedP
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

The Deacon wrote:This one, the Byrd Harrier. It was the first Byrd and, IMHO, is still the most elegant looking one. Midlock, smooth bolsters, gently contoured handle to show off the layers and weaves of the Micarta scales, all adds up to a very nice looking knife.

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

Paul, that is gorgeous! At first I thought maybe you had somebody re-handle it, you're saying it came with those scales?

I haven't held many Byrds. I do have a Byrd Wings, and I really like it, though it is a bit large. The shape of the PE blade is very similar to a stretch, I really like it. I do have a couple of their cheapest smallest Byrds i got on clearance (I thinks it was the Finch?) and was considering giving them as gifts, but wasn't as impressed with them.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

rodloos wrote:Paul, that is gorgeous! At first I thought maybe you had somebody re-handle it, you're saying it came with those scales?

I haven't held many Byrds. I do have a Byrd Wings, and I really like it, though it is a bit large. The shape of the PE blade is very similar to a stretch, I really like it. I do have a couple of their cheapest smallest Byrds i got on clearance (I thinks it was the Finch?) and was considering giving them as gifts, but wasn't as impressed with them.
Yes, the Harrier in those photos has not been modified in any way, it came with those scales.

Here's an excerpt from Sal's post over on BF back in April of 2004 when he first announced the Byrd line and described the Harrier.
The first is the "byrd" model "Harrier" (from the low flying hawk). The model is fairly robust. about 3.5" blade length. The blade is a clip with fair belly. mid-lock-back, stainless bolsters, green micarta scales. The blade steel in this model is Aichi (Japanese) made AUS-6. Catra tests indicate proper AUS-6 edge retention to be consistent with our data. The lock broke well into the heavy duty range (100 inch/lbs per inch). MSRP is $39.95. All in all, not a bad start.
His full post can be found here. For those interested in the history of the Byrd line, it might be worth reading.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
r small

Post by r small »

I like the Robin. Great liitle knife. I like the grip better than the similar dragonfly. A little beefier.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

That's awesome Paul!

My personal fave is the G10 Hawkbill. A great user that filled a nice niche. Shame it was in the product line along with the Superhawk.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Nice to see the byrds get a subforum :D when I saw 5sub forum blocks load I knew the new one would be byrd :D
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Wings.
It's the only Dyad type knife. Otherwise I have none.
O.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Cara Cara 2 G-10... Great sized knife and a great price.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Milkman

Post by Milkman »

Byrd Pelican. It was my first decent pocket knife. I got it on closeout for 12 dollars if I'm remembering it correctly.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

My only Byrd is a SE Hawkbill, bought to carry as a backup knife to whatever else I'm carrying. I'm thinking about getting a SE Robin to try as well.

(edited to substitute a more appropriate photo :)

spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

Mine is the Byrd Starling (now discontinued). My only Byrd knife.
Love it. Just wish it had an adjustable pivot. No up and down play with the lockback, but some sideways play.
The 8cr13mov sharpens great but does not hold an edge nearly as long as VG-10
timberweasel

Post by timberweasel »

Wow, Deacon! That Harrier is sweet!

My favourite Byrd is the Cara Cara 2. I've owned a few of 'em already but I can't seem to keep one in my stable. I know a couple of fellas who are police officers and I gifted my Cara Cara's to them. They love 'em, and no one is harder on their knives than coppers, I tells ya!