Columbus reconsiderd

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Coming to this forum I knew little about knives. I wished to expand my knowledge and had endless questions answered. When i thought I knew enough to speak on certain topics I was sometimes corrected and was glad to learn from my mistakes. I've made my way up to the middle of the pack but will never know as much as those who have devoted much large portions of their lives to this subject.

I have devoted much a much larger portion of my life to studying history. I dedicated an entire decade to reading nothing but history and in my best years I read 200 to 400 books per year. So I am passionately interested in history as are some others on this forum and like to have discussions on this subject. I have not attacked anyone in this thread despite having a number of personal attacks directed against me. I have asked for the reasoning behind assertions such as the one made four times that this thread violates forum rules. Not only has there been no explanation but I have been demeaned for daring to ask for one.

I suggest that those who do not wish to engage in a discussion on this thread's topic move on to a thread that holds more interest for them.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Sequimite...

I think that the subsequent emotiveness of the thread direction has proven my point?
Perhaps some subjects are just for face to face discussions?
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

zackerty wrote:Sequimite...

I think that the subsequent emotiveness of the thread direction has proven my point?
Perhaps some subjects are just for face to face discussions?
You obviously have a point, but...

1) I will not be driven off a topic by personal attacks; that simply rewards that type of behavior.
2) There is nothing about the topic which is offensive, per se. Those who claim to be offended have flatly refused to say why.

It is every citizens duty to have a working knowledge of history IMO. It is not only a rewarding subject but an essential one.

add - No one is being forced to participate in this thread. Those that are screaming are insisting that no one has the right to discuss historical matters that they don't approve of. That is simply not acceptable.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Sorry this went so far off the rails for you Sequimite, I didn't think your comment deserved as much attention as it got at the time and likely if it started out life on the Off Topic page as just a topic for discussion, it wouldn't have.

Anyway, it is unfortunate it has gathered so much steam and hopefully people will cool off and calmer heads will prevail. In the Grand scheme of things a present day discussion of what Columbus did or didn't do so many years ago should only provoke ... discussion.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sequimite wrote:2) There is nothing about the topic which is offensive, per se. Those who claim to be offended have flatly refused to say why.
I wasn't the one offended, but I don't think talking about the misdeeds of Columbus was the cause of the offense. I think your jumping into a "Happy Canadian Thanksgiving" thread to not only enumerate those misdeeds, but to complain that the US Government calls a US holiday celebrating the anniversary of the first documented discovery of the New World Columbus Day was probably the cause of the offense. If you had chosen instead to simply document Columbus' misdeeds in a thread in OT without the perceived lobbying for political change, the discussion would probably have taken a totally different path.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

I think its less that people are personally offended. than it is that the possibility to offend is there because it is broaching on a political subject. Which, for whatever reasons good or bad, is strongly encouraged not to be talked about. I personally do not care, but I can see why others might think the topic a little heavy/political for this board.

Id say write your congressman, because there is little we can do about it here.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I believe this has gone on long enough. This is not a productive discussion. Closed.
There is nothing more important than this one day.