Spyderco Chaparral Titan Stealth Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Mr Blonde wrote:For me, it helps format the different topics in different sections. I also seem to recall that in the past on the forums (or at least this forum) there used to be a character-limit to individual posts. It's also become a habit, I'll try putting it in one big post next time.
kbuzbee wrote:Personally, I really like the way you break these up by topic, Wouter. But I'm sure they'll be great regardless of the formatting.

Ken
I agree with Ken. I just wondered. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Thank for the great review Wouter!

Mine should be arriving today! yippee!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I just received my Chap2 from Jim Howe this afternoon. What a stunning piece. The thing that struck me first was the weight. It definitely feels heavier and denser than the CF version, but is lighter than you would expect from a SS handled version.

The second thing that struck me was that the engraving on the handle is drop. dead. gorgeous. Fantastic stuff - it catches the light at different angles - it reflects almost a rainbow of colors. Love it.

The third thing that struck me was the texture on the scales themselves. I don't know if anyone caught this in Wouter's pictures - but THE SCALES ARE NOT FLAT ON TOP. Sal has engineered subtle valleys or cutouts around the pivot. The scales are perceptibly thinner in four places around the pivot, to provide better grip, I assume. Very subtle and very refined. I like it.

Here's some more pics from my less-than-stellar web cam:

TedP

justinl

Post by justinl »

i wonder if the small ridged micro-finish on the scales would reduce scratches as smooth Ti is prone to collect over time?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

justinl wrote:i wonder if the small ridged micro-finish on the scales would reduce scratches as smooth Ti is prone to collect over time?
Reduce or hide maybe. The scratches on my Sage4 bolsters are a lot less noticable since I stonewashed them. Maybe the finish on the Chaparral will be similar.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Nice pics Ted, congrats on the new knife!

The micro-finish (or the facets) does seem to at least hide dings and scratches pretty well. I haven't noticed any since carrying and using the knife. Other Ti polished knives such as the Phoenix or Sage 3 weren't that forgiving.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

phillipsted wrote:Image
Now, that's a photo I'd like to be able to take :D

Nice photos guys - so that'll be *another* Spydie on my wish list!! ;)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

I just received one and I'm debating on whether to keep it. On one hand, the production quality is very high and I like the XHP steel. However, I don't find the ti scales very appealing particularly as compared to the woven carbon fiber on my Gayle Bradley. Looks too blingy and doesn't have the warm feeling of CF.
Donut

Post by Donut »

My opinion of the Chap 1 vs the Chap 2.

The textured titanium feels like a shallow version of the textured carbon fiber on the first chap. It does feel a little stronger and a little bit heavier.

With a price tag at almost double the Chap 1, it might be a no brainer, but I've been loving mine. Carried it half of Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and plan on carrying it tomorrow.

I'm thinking XHP is going to really shine in a blade this thin.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks for adding comparisons with the CF version guys, it's one thing lacking from my review as I don't own one.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I just got my Chap 2 in the mail today. I know... I'm a little late to the party, but I'm very impressed with this knife.

I love the small size and thiness of the blade and handle. It is a little heavier than I thought it might be (I don't own the Chap 1 for comparison), but I like the weight in hand. It feels solid and has a solid lock-up without blade play. As always, I love the low-riding wire clip. I agree with Mr. Blonde and like that the inside is finished. The handle facets are quite extraordinary and I think they do add a nice texture to the handle - you can feel the slight ridges at the transition points between the different facets.

Overall, another winner from Spyderco!
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

Yes indeed, exceptional photos there sir, nicely done!
I just got back from a business trip and mine was waiting for me, sweet folder to be sure, the tooling on the Titanium is great, a real eye catcher.
I had the CF version and sold it, cant' recall the reason but I'm guessing it just felt too light, odd I know, but this one feels just right.

I do have a question though, as the blade thickness just behind the bevel feels kinda thick for such a small blade? I've not sharpened it yet, will do so probably tomorrow, a long drive through pouring rain wears you out! But on this one if you pinch the blade with thumb and forefinger and slide down to the bevel, it feels thick and has a sudden drop to the edge. Anyone elses feel like that?
G2
"The Road to **** is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1
Gary W Graley

Post by Gary W Graley »

I just finished sharpening tonight, MUCH better overall, I had a micrometer that measured the shoulder above the bevel at about 27 thousandths which still seems a bit thick for that size blade and initial thickness of the blade, but with the new bevels and sharpening, I think it'll do JUST fine as is, nice knife, takes a very keen edge. I am still a little baffled at how it's held together!!! for my taste, of course that's a little biased for right hander's, I'd have liked that the clip was just on the one side and the other left clean, no grooves, but, I know there are some folks no in their RIGHT mind and need a left hand carry ;)

G2
"The Road to **** is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1
Cave Dave

Post by Cave Dave »

I measured the Ti version at only 5g heavier than the CF version. Strange that it feels much heavier to me though. Maybe its the balance point or just some sort of optical illusion.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Cave Dave wrote:I measured the Ti version at only 5g heavier than the CF version. Strange that it feels much heavier to me though. Maybe its the balance point or just some sort of optical illusion.
Maybe the weight feeling is a percentage or ratio thing. Something that weighs 15 grams will seem much heavier than somethg similar that weighs 10 grams. I know this isn't the total weight of the two knifes. But, something that weighs 1 lb and something that weighs 1 lb, 5g would feel like they weigh the same. Maybe? Kinda? Sorta?