Anyone use stag scale material before?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phillipsted

Anyone use stag scale material before?

Post by phillipsted »

I've made lots of knife scales over the years in a wide range of materials. But I've never worked with stag before. Before I pull the trigger and order a set to try out on the new MT15, I thought I would check with folks to see what the "ins-and outs" were of working with the material. (I'm referring to real stag here, not plastic resin-based stuff or jigged bone scales)

How do they work? Are they brittle or chippy? Do they carve well?

Any tips would be appreciated.

TedP
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

No, but let us know how it turns out(pictures).
I do know horn is tricky and bone(cow shank) is a bit easier to work with.

Good luck.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

If you are talking Sambar, then slow speeds to prevent burning...as the stag holds heat...

Any other stag is semi-hollow, and does not burn as quickly...but slow speeds are still recomended...

Bone is much easier to use...but it is not stag...
2cha

Post by 2cha »

zackerty wrote:If you are talking Sambar, then slow speeds to prevent burning...as the stag holds heat...

Any other stag is semi-hollow, and does not burn as quickly...but slow speeds are still recomended...

Bone is much easier to use...but it is not stag...
Axis stag is also not hollow. Other thing to remember is that it warps a little when heat is unevenly applied--ie, when sanding at higher speeds. (also smells like burning hair)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I forgot that antler is basically one huge hair - and I really *love* the smell of burning hair in my shop. I'll keep the drill press low-and-slow, and limit myself to hand tools for flattening, shaping and contouring...

I found a nice set of Sanbar Stag scales online. Here's a shot of what I'll be working with - the seller has already done some of the prep work... I'll get to them next in the queue - right after I finish a new MT02 in Ironwood Burl. Pics to follow!

TedP

bh49

Post by bh49 »

phillipsted wrote: I found a nice set of Sanbar Stag scales online. Here's a shot of what I'll be working with - the seller has already done some of the prep work... I'll get to them next in the queue - right after I finish a new MT02 in Ironwood Burl. Pics to follow!
TedP
Nice stag.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian