Top Three Knives Of 2012

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Top Three Knives Of 2012

Post by Cheddarnut »

Part 1) What do you think are the best three newly released designs this year, they have to be new designs not configurations (ie para 2)

Part 2) justify your selection

ATM i choose the following:

South Fork- steel, ergos, color
Pingo- name, shape, steel
Techno- legacy, craftsmanship
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Lil Matriarch - Gives people a nice SD option at a good price, small enough to really carry.
Lionspy - Good weight for such a big knife, comfortable, carries nice.

I think the Yojimbo 2, Chaparral, and Squeak came out last year. It really seems like a shortage of new/original models being released this year! There might not be many more than 3.

I don't think people should be voting for stuff they don't own. How will they know if it's really worth voting for or not?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Techno - super high quality, tough, but useful design.
Centofante Memory - perfect blade shape (IMO), elegant, nice tribute to Mr. Centofante.
Air - super light, simple but well thought out design, nice materials.

All three of these were not really at the top of my list before buying them. I like them all much more than expected, and they have become some of my favorites.

The Tuff and Sage 4 would be next on the list (if the Sage 4 qualifies).
:bug-red-white
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Donut wrote:
I don't think people should be voting for stuff they don't own. How will they know if it's really worth voting for or not?
a) we dont own stuff, stuff owns us
b) i wouldnt have been allowed to start this thread, as i own none of the three.

I have held the techno and southfork, so i have claim to feel and scrutiny of quality (the southfork is impeccable too btw) and the the pingo just makes me love it with its mini lobsteriness. If a knife makes u giggle and clutch impatiently at the air, u may include it in your selection.

*edit* clutch at the empty space around u, not the Air
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
SCARLETT

Post by SCARLETT »

Easy! Techno, Yo 2, and Tuff. IMO you pick these three up and you will be good until 2013.
:spyder:33:spyder:
Dreaming of an A.T.R. with combo TI/G10 scales
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

What he said ^^^^
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Wasn't the Yo2 released in 2011?
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Order in which I purchased them

Memory: Handle (color, material), heritage, size
Techno: It's a TANK, Steel, It's built like a Tank, Size, It's shape, and did I mention it's a tank?
Air:Perfect Gentleman's knife (except that I need a pouch), size weight, my first wharncliffe blade
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

Caly 3.5 Carbon Fiber ZDP-189
Manix 2 XL (Couldn't find it in 2011 Catalog)
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

1. Tuff
2. Caly 3.5 bolstered Damascus
3. Orange Dodo

Why? Because I like 'em.
DemskeetSkeet

Post by DemskeetSkeet »

gbelleh wrote:Wasn't the Yo2 released in 2011?
Yup, late 2011
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I didn't buy in 2012 as many knives as I used to do. But I enjoyed few sprints and exclusives. Regarding new models still waiting for Ti Fluted Native5, hopefully will get in 2012. I expect it to be real highlight of the year.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Donut

Post by Donut »

According to the rules, I believe the Memory is a variation of the old Centofante, all Caly 3/3.5's are variants, all Natives and Dodo's are Variants. Yo 2 was a 2011 model.

I think the only possible choices are Techno, Tuff, Lil Matriarch, Lionspy, Manix 2 XL, Southfork, and Pingo.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mud Shrimp Moe

Post by Mud Shrimp Moe »

gbelleh wrote:Wasn't the Yo2 released in 2011?

I bought mine in the last few days of 2011. After Christmas

So it's technically a 2011 release, but only by a few days.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I can only speak about the Tuff. It's a cool knife IMO. Good weight, great ergos and makes me feel good knowing its in my pocket.

Though I think I have two more which relate to the original question, I can't write about them as I have not used them yet.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Donut wrote:According to the rules, I believe the Memory is a variation of the old Centofante
I don't think so. The Memory is supposed to be a copy of a custom knife given to Sal by Centofante. A different design than the earlier Centofante models.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:According to the rules, I believe the Memory is a variation of the old Centofante,
gbelleh wrote:I don't think so. The Memory is supposed to be a copy of a custom knife given to Sal by Centofante. A different design than the earlier Centofante models.
I agree with gbelleh Memory has different model# and only similarity with C25 and C50.
Also, if you not want to counts Ti fluted Native5 as a new model (I know, it still C41), than I do not have any new knives :o :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Donut wrote:I think the only possible choices are Techno, Tuff, Lil Matriarch, Lionspy, Manix 2 XL, Southfork, and Pingo.
Good point, Donut. Don't forget the Bradley Air.

I think I would also add the Sage line to the list - which would make the Sage 4 a nominee. Adding a different lock to the knife is way more involved that a simple "configuration change" in my book. We usually think of different steels or scale materials in this category...

I think we also need to discuss whether the upcoming Terzuola Starmate qualifies for this list. It is a substantially different knife than its previous incarnation: different steel, different grind, different scales, lots of CQI changes... Kind of a gray area... don't you agree?

TedP
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Now that the year is over I made a small reflection on the past year and over looked the releases I bought and tried to come to my top 3. I must say it was a spectacular year! A lot of great knives where born which makes it very difficult to chose. TThis was one of the greatest Spyderco years for me. So I need still to get such as the Tuff and the LionSpy but others where the Air, Southard, Caly 3, DoDo Cf and Orange, Starmate, etc. It is easier to put them to gether in one picture (Caly 3 Damascus missing :( ) :)

Personally it was a great Spyderco year, I managed to pick up some of my grail knives such as the original Starmate, Jot Singh and Captain:

So my top 3 for 2012 is:

1: Southard Flipper
2: Techno
3: Air Bradley

:)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Since last posting in this thread, I'd have to adjust my answer to...

Southard
Centofante Memory
Szabo folder

As my 3 favorite new releases of 2012. Looking forward to 2013!