The Spider vs the Snake...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

We usually had to beat off sizable snakes several times a month when I still farmed mangoes. Mostly local species of pythons(mostly around 1-5 meters to 3 meters). We just kept Meter long bamboo sticks of around thumb sized diameter all around the area. Residents in the area find that these size sticks are more effective at controlling the snakes(who come after chickens and rats) than larger diameter sticks or even machetes(kinda dangerous if you get wild with 'em, they glance off things :) ).
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I can surely attest to a moccasin's tenacity. It's the only **** snake that has chased me around a pond more than once while Bass fishing. They just don't slither away like most other snakes. I've also whacked more than one with a boat paddle..
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

as said above.

they have no backup,try gigging at night and running from them.
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

THE PUNISHER wrote:as said above.

they have no backup,try gigging at night and running from them.
...I would say carry a .410 pistol, but then all the frogs would leave the area as well.

I may buy a Taurus Judge as a new snake gun....
I am one of the 0.45%.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

OBJ Viking wrote:...I would say carry a .410 pistol, but then all the frogs would leave the area as well.

I may buy a Taurus Judge as a new snake gun....

That should work well. :)
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

...got this guy today. We went back to clean out a shoothouse for deer season (in the same patch where I killed the one last weekend) and put down new carpet where buzzards had made a mess. Well he saw me about the time I saw him and went into a nest in a hole under the shoothouse (which sits about 2&1/2 feet off the ground), I had to dig him out and kill him. When I was through, I poured some gasoline in the hole, then refilled it, and saturated the ground on top with gas in the event there were any others down in there. This one was fatter than the one last week.

I am one of the 0.45%.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Is that one pregnant or did he eat recently?
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

Had a field mouse in his stomach when I cut him open.
I am one of the 0.45%.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I dispatched a few copperheads when I was growing up in PA. My favorite for that was either a shovel or the lawnmower (got 2!).
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Nice work on the snakes, OBJ. Fortunately, the only snake I need to watch out for here in NE Indiana is the Eastern Massasauga rattlesnake. Although it’s listed as an endangered species in our area, the Massasauga has been sighted by hikers, hunters, and those interested in traipsing through swamps/marshy areas. Several years ago, one of my father’s co-workers came in contact with Massasauga as he was working on an electrical pad-mount in the middle of a field. As I recall, the snake made a charge at the guy and he was unfortunately forced to kill the critter with a round-point shovel. My dad brought the snake home in a coffee can to show us what it looked like. I can still remember the fangs on that snake. Wow. :eek:

According to the DNR's website:
"...The season of activity for the eastern massasauga in Indiana is relatively long. Individuals
have been reported as early as April and as late as November. Hibernation may be spent in rock crevices, crayfish burrows, or old stumps. During the spring and fall these snakes spend time basking and foraging for food. Hot summer temperatures may cause them to develop nocturnal habits. The disposition of individuals
can vary, but eastern massasaugas are generally thought to be relatively docile and sluggish animals unless provoked. Nevertheless, caution should be taken when encountering a massasauga as their venom can be lethal to humans."

Here’s more info on the Massasauga rattlesnake:
http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/MassasaugaRattlesnake.pdf
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

We are in a "humid sub-tropical climate zone", so we are "blessed" with long growing season and generally mild winters, which leads to a plethora of snakes, gators, and a climate generally suitable for all types of wildlife to flourish. So in addition to reptiles and alligator snapping turtles, we also have an abundance of other animals such as any number of fish, coyotes, feral dogs, bobcats, jaguarundi, panthers, wild hogs, some black bears, turkeys, other game birds, opossums, raccoons, rodents, deer, otters, beaver, nutria, etc. It is good for hunting, but you also have to be "snake conscious" year round when in the woods as a warm spell can bring them out in winter or early in the spring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humid_subtropical_climate
...North America

Climate Zones of the Continental United States
In North America, humid subtropical climates are almost exclusively the domain of the American South, including the following states: the eastern half of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, most of Florida and Virginia and sections of West Virginia.
Of course we have the old "skunk ape" ;) but I haven't seen one of them yet and doubt I ever will :D
I am one of the 0.45%.
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

We are in a "humid sub-tropical climate zone", so we are "blessed" with long growing season and generally mild winters, which leads to a plethora of snakes, gators, and a climate generally suitable for all types of wildlife to flourish. So in addition to reptiles and alligator snapping turtles, we also have an abundance of other animals such as any number of fish, coyotes, feral dogs, bobcats, jaguarundi, panthers, wild hogs, some black bears, turkeys, other game birds, opossums, raccoons, rodents, deer, otters, beaver, nutria, etc. It is good for hunting, but you also have to be "snake conscious" year round when in the woods as a warm spell can bring them out in winter or early in the spring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humid_subtropical_climate
...North America

Climate Zones of the Continental United States
In North America, humid subtropical climates are almost exclusively the domain of the American South, including the following states: the eastern half of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, most of Florida and Virginia and sections of West Virginia.
Of course we have the old "skunk ape" legend - that he lives in our swamps. This has been passed down through the centuries by the Native Americans all across the South to more modern sightings, such as the Honey Island Swamp Monster, ;) but I haven't seen one of them yet and doubt I ever will :D
I am one of the 0.45%.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

We were swimming with about 15-20 others at the lake last summer and had killed two other Water Moccasin as we were about that day. Around 2:30 one swam by not 18"' from my 6 y.o. on a raft. He was about 8' from me and the WM was well passed before I could get to him, but needless to say, after that we were done for the day. Closest I have come to grabbing one barehanded.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
OBJ Viking

Post by OBJ Viking »

Simple Man wrote:We were swimming with about 15-20 others at the lake last summer and had killed two other Water Moccasin as we were about that day. Around 2:30 one swam by not 18"' from my 6 y.o. on a raft. He was about 8' from me and the WM was well passed before I could get to him, but needless to say, after that we were done for the day. Closest I have come to grabbing one barehanded.
That is a scary story. I always tell my boys "not to do this" when I kill one with a knife. I started killing them with edged weapons when I was a kid, but also shot them, and by the time my parents knew how I killed them with edged instruments, they pretty much figured I knew what I was doing as I manly told them I used a spear or machete, and they would not have liked my using a knife so much. You always worry about your kids doing dangerous things and my parents were nor am I an exception...man I am glad your situation didn't turn tragic that day.
I am one of the 0.45%.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Yes indeed, we are blessed. We figured their nest must of been in the rocks close to the dock. The others snakes were on the receiving end of either a 9mm or .380. We are too sissy to "unnecessarily" get "knife close". :rolleyes: But whatever is necessary to protect is always warranted. :cool:
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal